NTLDR is missing...

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by talkshowhost, Oct 27, 2005.

1. talkshowhost

talkshowhost New Member

hmmm,

Stumped with this one at the moment.

my dad put his computer on today after dropping some cds on it (don't know if thats relevant but thought it might have accidently deleted a file or 2!)

at the moment all i get is this mnessage straight after the posting screen just before it starts to boot windows...

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart

have copied the msdos.sys file, ntdetect file and ntldr files from my computer and used norton ghost to replace these files and then tried again but no luck. thought this would probably work. Have googled a bit and can see no obvious solution.

can anyone shed any light on this matter? Using Windows XP Pro operating system.

thanks in advance for any help offered.

cheers.

2. shadowfield

shadowfield New Member

have you tried copying them right off the windows cd to the root directory(c:\ for example)?

how to do this:
    insert windows cd at boot, then hit the any key when it tells you too just like installing it
    then there should be an option to repair an installation(R) then there is an option to use the recovery console(c), so hit the button for that and youll be brought to a dos type screen, and just copy the file from the cd to the root directory. Oh, and these files are located on the I386 folder on the CD.

3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

if that doesn't work, the only real alternative would be to reformat the machine

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

boot to repair mode from windows cd and try fixboot cmd... if it don't work reinstall windows :p

5. talkshowhost

talkshowhost New Member

ok just tried copying those two files from the windows cd with no luck.

have also tried using bootfix and bootmdr from the recovery console. really cannot be bothered formatting the drive and my dad isn't really one for backups...if i just reinstall windows i will lose everything in my documents...right? have 2 hard drives - so i could prob just copy everthing to the other through recovery console but this is liable to miss files qute easily that i m ight need?

many thanks as always for the quick replies

6. talkshowhost

talkshowhost New Member

hmmm, don't think i did the copy from XP cd quite right.

The setup before this error came up was 2 hard drives c: and d:
    c: has windows and all the usual stuff (progs etc)
    d: has a couple of games on it and is fairly empty.

when in the recovery console i go d: and it will only come up with d:\windows which has all the windows files you usually see. i tried using systemroot but it will only let me see the windows folder as if this is thr root i.e. i can't change dir to say my docs or anything like that - the command i used to copy the files was ~copy ntldr d:" and it has copied them to d:\windows and not d: where they should lie and are used to boot.

I hope that makes sense?? but can anyone offer advice on copying to the right place. or is the recovery console only for seeing the windows folder. tried using a win98 boot disk as well but couldn't get access to other to the other.

EDIT: just a thought but the hard drives are formatted with NTFS file system and so wouldn't work in DOS, right? or recovery console?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Try to use repair installation of winxp thats the only way to keep your files...

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the problem might be at the Boot.ini (either the file is corrupted, damaged or missing), Not the Ntldr file missing as it seems.
    or, it can be that the Ntldr is really missing or damaged.

anyway, create a Windows XP boot floppy disk (see below for how to) from within any Windows XP machine,
    and then insert the boot disk in the floppy drive of the problem PC's and also set its BIOS to boot from floppy drive first. then let it boot from the boot disk, once you see the boot menu choose the first partition and hit Enter. if you're sure that the Windows XP is installed on other partition then choose the other...
    and see if you can start the Windows XP? if you can, then in Windows try locating the Boot.ini (of the problem XP system), and then open it with any text editor, copy all of the contain info and post.

How to create a Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP or Server 2003 boot floppy disk
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/ntboot/?PHPSESSID=6a63d7446ca6f1dac91a5fe1b9631500

9. talkshowhost

talkshowhost New Member

hmm, ok have tried everthing now to try and fix windows without much luck. did manage to get everything i needed off the hard disk but now when i try and reinstall windows it hangs when there are 35 minutes remaining. Tried using a different hard disk but same result. any ideas?

10. PangingJr

PangingJr Member