NV38 seals Nvidia's coffin

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by NewsFactory, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apoch003

apoch003 New Member

This story is utter BS. But we at SlackerCentral are thinking of taking one of our Dabson threads and posting it on their forum to see who believes it. :D

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

.... Hard to say.... news is news... you can take it either way.... that's why the media has always been messing things up.... everyone gets ahead of themselves....it's just like gossip... who knows what the story is.... not till we hear it from the horses mouth..... as for 3DFX going under...and nvidia falling like that..... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN..... nvidia's video arena could die.... but nvidia itself will still be living... as it's Chipsets are flying right along very well..... Most peoples signatures that have specs listed show Nforce chipsets.....

3. amuro

amuro New Member

Well is it not next year that Nv40 and R4xx graphic cards are supposed to be released right?

I mean although this commentary may be legit (and btw I favor ATI and Matrox) DirectX 10, Longhorn OS and XBox 2 are at least set for 2005 right?

Both Nvidia and ATI (as well as other small fry companies) have had plenty of time to develop, revise and improve, etc their GPUs so it makes sense to assume that Nv40 will actually try to follow the Dx9 standard and save Nvidia from further ridicule and driver cheats (although the latter is unlikely given their habits) while ATI's cards improve and other smaller fry card companies will release (hopefully) fully hardware compliant Direct X 9 cards to hopefully drive up competition and drive down the ridiculous high prices.

I mean damn, I want to see Matrox and PowerVr make a decent comeback

4. Judas

....kyro 2 had one of the most excellent runs..... it just so happened they haven't been able to finda suitable manufacturer yet......

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

But that if they lose favor with consumers .... it wont take long for OEM's to switch over to ATI...

Yea.. as we know nvida would never cheat ;) :D ... NOT

you just keep telling youselfs that....

Ha yea right.. they had a hard enough/took enough time win the fx line its not even funny... when they say bring it on.. thats all they got... and it's crap...

(FX cards also is supoosed to utalized techs aquired for the buying of 3dfx years ago...)

once again the bigger this ordeal gets the more nvida will have to pay for this....
    or they'll just pay off micrsoft just like they did with 3dmark 2003 and "Nvida optuimzed games"

were not god we do not forgive all. FACT: it takes but one bad trun to trun a customer for an establishment for LIFE... i see it all the time

go back to sleep n00b... My respect for you has dropped considerably in the last 5 minutes. news is news weather you like it or not.... as for fanboys you sound like an NVIDIOT....

slow in painfull... thier allready in flames... and thir sparying gas on it insted of water

I wised up ;)

too bad nvida bought out 3dfx.... and shut them down...

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

this sums up everthing i've said

look @ just thier stocks.... thier customers & thier investors switching to ATI
    at's sales are up 75

nvida's revenue fell 14% Net income fell 50% last qurter
    while ATI has reported a 71 percent surge !!!!!!

ati's stock once 1/4th of nvida's stock now costs MORE than nvida's stock by about 20%

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ATY.TO&t=3m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=nvda

7. threedaysdwn

threedaysdwn New Member

DX10, or DirectX Longhorn hasn't even entered the planning stages yet...

NV40 and R4xx will be DX9 parts. They will be Pixel Shader 3.0 parts, but not DX 10 parts.

Nvidia still has a very dominant marketshare. Microsoft would never count them out of DX10's development.

There's no reason some random forum ranter should be getting this much attention from otherwise respectable sites like DH.

8. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

OEMs have switched, not sure what you mean by that. Nearly every OEM manufacturer offers products from both companies in their config.

ODMs are in the process of changing. Asus and the Xbox deal will accelerate the migration. Having a Tier 1 is a big feather in ATI's cap. Problem is the market dynamic is changing and its all Asus' fault :lol:. 12 more months I doubt you'll see much exclusivity in the market.

My original point was that I find it difficult to believe that MS would write NV off completely since NV has such a huge installed base. We'll see if there are any OS alternatives on the market by that time, if so, I don't think they'll hang around for longhorn.

By the time DX10 comes out. If all of this unfounded BS is true, just means that NV has to be sure there products adhere to the spec.

Not in planning stages?

DX10 has entered planning stages... what do you think ATI, MS and the Xbox Next are about?

Regarding longhorn, alphas have been circulating the net on most file sharing networks. Companies are already lining up resources for driver development. Have you been living under a rock?

Getting back to the original post, I find it very difficult to believe that rumor if they were going to let someone spill the beans and loosen up the NDA noose, I'd put strong bets on the fact that they would have found someone that was a bit more well spoken.

9. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

I do believe it's in the planing stages. There has already been demo/videos out about just what Longhorn can do.
    And MS did say awhile back that Longhorn is an OS for gamers, entertainment. As well as computing!
    And I remember hearing about Longhorn a year or so ago. So you can believe that it and everything to do with it, is being planed!

10. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

look guys, trust me, Driverheaven isnt an ATI fan site. I own nvidia products and ATI products and happen to think both companies bring out great hardware. ATI in my opinion are better right now, but for example in the high end the quadro I own is a much superior product than the firegl ive had time with.

I dont know the validity of this article but there is no point in bickering over it and taking everything so personal, one of the news posters put it up front page because its over the internet right now and to ignore it would miss a good debating point.

Just to reiterate, DH isnt an ATI fan site. Either way you look at it incidentally there are some exciting and interesting times coming up in the next year.

11. HawK

HawK Banned

About the validity of the article itself ? read about it on beyond3D it's like I said: pure BS :bleh: :duh:

12. Driver 7

Driver 7 Discombobulated NVidiot

I am sick of the NVidia Drama. I want to know if this BS is true.
    I am going to install a fresh copy of DirectX9 right now using the 45.xx drivers. and then install the 50's while running NTfilmon and NTRegmon. If there are any changed to directX I will see it happen. Give me an hour.

13. HardwareHeaven

anything to report yet driver7?

14. HardwareHeaven

anything to report yet driver7?

15. Judas

whoa... double post.... Zardon, i've been experiencing multiple double postings.... and the quick post feature suddenly stopped working on occasion (internal 500 error).....

16. HardwareHeaven

drop a report in the feedback for jeff and andrew to check into.

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

and are you sure this would catch a replaceing/or patching the existing files (changes made to code inside the file while mataing same files size)

18. Driver 7

Driver 7 Discombobulated NVidiot

In filmon if a file is written to or deleted or opened or even quired about it shows. Same with regmon. The only problem is the amount of changes that happen. I ran each program while I installed the 51.75 drivers and then I ran them again when I ran the install of directX9b
    Then I saved all 4 . Opened with excell. Sorted to writes, delete's and sets (for reg values) I was still left with a few hundred actions to cross refrence. I have gone through about half but my eyes are melting and my brains turning to mush so my friend's looking for a while. I want to be thurrow so another hour or 2 and I should have a result. Nothing yet.

19. Judas

Most excellent work being done there...... Will be nice to hear your results....

20. HardwareHeaven

thread cleaned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.