nvidea recommendations

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Randy P, Jan 29, 2005.

1. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i tend to agree with you but i also think knowing his sys specs would lead to a more informed decision. if he is running something relatively slow then a cpu/ram upgrade along with something like the 6600 or 9800 would give him better all around performance.
    of course the old "look honey, i have this wonderful 6800gt but the rest of my system is holding it back" thing does have its benefits.:evil:
    do not know why my wife still allows me to do it.:hmm: :D
    but if gaming is all you are really interested in then yes you are right.

2. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I mean you have to have a half way ok system for it. But a powerful video card can do wonders even in a semi- slow system.. Even "slow" systems today are pretty ok for games though.. 2400xp / P4 2.4ghz, 512mb 2700 ram, etc....

But yes it matters.

3. Randy P

Randy P New Member

let's see:

P4 2.4 G w/ HT tech.
    1 gig of kingston DDR RAm pc 3200 (dual channel)
    120 G hardrive @ 7200 rpm

I plan on upgrading my cpu to a 3.0 or 3.2 this summer...

So what do you think?

4. MiDKnYtE

MiDKnYtE Caffeine Machine

5. Randy P

Randy P New Member

That's a major bummer man to read that on the 2.4. I think I'll still get the card and look forward to getting a cpu upgrade this summer. I mean it's not like the card will be crap with my 2.4 and it certainly will be better than my 5200fx.

Well, I'm assuming this is right...so am I right?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. mike2h

mike2h New Member

you got it! go get it!!:)

7. Randy P

Randy P New Member

cool man I will!!!! :D

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

What kind of PSU do you have?

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

an enermax 460 in my wifes. an enermax 400+ & 350 in mine.:p

good question for him. does have definite relevance. upgrading is such fun.:duh:

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well yeah I was talking to him.. Since he started the thread and is asking about upgrading. If he has a generic 350, he better upgrade. A 550W Antec is a good start. I love mine.

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Power-Supply-Units/Antec-True-Control-550/

"Well, to say the very least, outstanding. The only noticeable change was on the +3.3V line, and it was a drop of only 0.01V. Antec has put together one serious psu."

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...922&depa=1&CMP=BAC-pcparticle1204&ATT=HighEnd

http://www.google.com/search?source...GLD,GGLD:2004-50,GGLD:en&q=antec+true+control

11. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I have seen some very bad reviews on Vantec PSUs- the voltages all over the place. Can't remember where I saw it..

13. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

it fluctuates some, yea...but nothing to call home about. And I dunno how my having 2 CPUs affects how much it fluctuates either :p

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I don't know, I remember one where the unit the guy had was all over the place, then he got a new one from vantec, and it had the same problem. It was a review where they used a PSU tester and they measured ripple.
    I don't know where that is. I found some other reviews that hinted at that. Most reviews don't even properly test them, or even test voltages. Some say they are fine too of course.

http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/vantecps/p3.html
    As you can see the more demand put on the power supply the lower the 5v rail drops. At default speeds it stays within its 5% tolerance. But when overclocking it dipped below that 5%. Now you see the list of stuff that this PSU is running so that could very well be a factor as to why the 5V rail drops like it does when overclocking.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1774&p=8
    We see that Antec and Enermax provided the lowest amount of ripple, while keeping their average low and high voltages very tight. .......... Almost all of the power supplies had lower than advertised ripples with the exception of Vantec. Interesting to see was the Vantec unit actually tipped a little bit over the advertised rating of 50mV (+/-1.0%) on the +5.0V rail. We were slightly dissapointed to see this, especially considering the other units were for the most part under the advertised ripple rating.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article43-page2.html
    This power load is excessive because the PSU blew with a loud POP! after a few minutes on this setting. The total load was meant to be ~420W, the rated capacity of the VAN-420A, but one additional 8A switch on the 12V line was inadvertently turned on, bringing the total to 471W instead. In less than 5 minutes, the 7A-250V fuse in the AC line output of the load tester blew simultaneously with something inside the PSU, bringing sudden silence to the room. It was an unfortunate accident.

The total overload was ~50W or 11%. It is surprising that the PSU did not shut itself down for self-protection. Vantec cites a number of protections -- against over-voltage, over-current, and short circuit. Section 3.10.1 of the Vantec VAN-420A Specification document specifically states:

"The PSU DC outputs are protected from supplying output current above the maximum ratings... and when output power is between 110-150%... all DC outputs are latched off in the event of an over-current event on any of the DC outputs."

The PSU was unplugged and cooled for an hour with the aid of a large powerful house fan. It was then reconnected to the load tester and set up for very low output. Upon turn-on, a loud BANG ensured from the PSU, and the AC line fuse blew again. It seems like a permanent short condition exists somewhere inside the PSU, which I believe can be declared a casualty at this point.

The temperature and noise levels reached before catastrophic failure speak for themselves: 74° C and 75 dBA.

http://www.ocia.net/reviews/stealth470/page2.shtml
    "The +5 V rail seems to be a bit low."

15. Randy P

Randy P New Member

16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i would wait & see if it is an issue 1st.

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I bet it will be just fine.

18. Randy P

Randy P New Member

Yeah, considering I don't have a damn clue about overclocking...the stock PSU should be fine :)

However, do you think I will need a new PSU once I do upgrade my CPU from a 2.4 to . 3.2 or 3.4?

19. mike2h

mike2h New Member

no. power req are the same.

20. Randy P

Randy P New Member

so why should I get a new PSU?

Some day I will have knowledge......