Nvidia accused of cheating over graphics tech

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Apr 23, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

We said that what we saw when we were in Geneva with Nvidia was a clear difference between the code that was running PS 3.0 path and a referred system that was running PS 2.0 code.

ATI says that CryTek's representative told it that what Nvidia showed us in Geneva was a 2.0/3.0 path versus 1.1 path.

The key message is that Shader model 3.0 and 2.0 look exactly the same, the ATI representative added.

In a developers' mail that we also received, it added that there is a possibility that the 3.0 path might be slightly faster in same cases on some hardware - an obvious reference to Nvidia.

inquirer

2. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

..and here we go again! :p

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

seems to be quite a war of words goin around here…

4. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Should be fun hearing Nvidias explanation.

5. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Quack Quack, I mean, heh.... I swear these 2 Trade Cheats, It's getting ridiculous why can't we just have Gaes that rendered "The way it's meant to be played" instead of using iut as a marketing gimmick It's Really Stupid that this even has to go on, BTW does this explain why that Floor looked like crap on the 6800? Did anyone else notice that?

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

they will just BS like they did last time

7. hohum

hohum New Member

I doubt they will it explain it though... they never admitted to the original accusations of cheating in 3dmark03, so i'm suspecting it'll be unlikely to see any explanation over this either. It's a shame, because they have a decent product that could perform fantastically without these IQ reductions. I really don't know what they're playing at... surely after all the bad press they've received over their optimisations, they would have known that almost every tech website known to man would investigate to see if cheating is still going on? Daft.

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Nvidia sux! -- this doesn't surprise me at all either, I actually was waiting for it. Nvidia needs to just quit cheating and render the image correctly instead of degrading the image quality to gain speed.

9. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

now if only this would be know to every person who owns a computer... not just geeks

10. snake

snake Active Member

Well one thing is sure for me : since the Radeon 7500, nVidia lost its crown and it's not going to change in a near future. Maybe nForce2 and nForce3 motherboards are the best in the competition, but for GFX cards, ATI leads the dance.Nothing to add, except that betray the confidence of the customers is the best way to convince them that ATI really rocks and nVidia are losers and cheaters :dead:

11. tenndevil

tenndevil Banned

This is all ATI says, we don't even know if it's true, you think maybe there is an NDA involved here somewhere (between Crytek and nvidia)? ATI uses them even on beta-testers. This get old after awhile, there is really no set standard on how this stuff is done, ATI does it their way and people say they are cheating, nvidia does things their way and they are not only cheaters, but cheaters that suck.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  12. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Scared of losing before ATI's card is even out by the sounds of it!

13. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

You also have to remember that ATi is probably not as innocent as you all play them to be.

14. XSwiftX

XSwiftX New Member

ATI has never been caught blatantly lying to the press or consumers. Nvidia has, and repeatedly.

Read the article at The Inquirer and you will see that a rep from CryTek has stated that Nvidia was showing a 3.0/2.0 vs 1.1 ps. Or basically he confirmed that Nvidia was lying once again.

Let me look for an article about ATI lying about something.........

I can't find any, can you?

15. HawK

HawK Banned

Are you reffering to the Quake3 incident? if so than you are (or should be) aware this was more a driver"mistake" and after it was fixed it did not made the BMark any faster

16. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Why you think I made my qauck quack, im my comment? haha... This is a much more serious issue then quake 3 ever was even if it was a "application specific optimization" THIS IS IMAGE QUALITY RENDERING the entire basis for what your graphics card is designed to do, so..... Obviously it's a much hotter issue then... a simple name change for quake 3....

I mean.... look at the farcry pictures, they are obviously diffrent..... the way they are renered is diffrent and much more ntociable then max payne 2 or 3dmark