nVidia Detonator FX is a wonder driver

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Dom, May 14, 2003.

1. Dom

Dom New Member

WE'VE JUST BEEN told by a loyal reader that Detonator FX has popped up on the Interweb, here (zip file) and we wanted to check our story about it.

Learning that performance could be increased by driver update from 20 to 50 percent was quite unrealistic to us but it seems to us that Nvidia has made a wonder driver to release.

We ran four benchmarks 3dmarks 2001SE and 2003, Aquanox and Quake 3.

3Dmark 2001SE jumped from 7295 to magnificent 10870 which is about a 33 percent increase in speed, while the famous nature test was scoring 32.1FPS and with Detonator FX 44.03 scores 66.1 and so is 50 percent faster than with 43.45 that we used.

In 3D mark03, the score improved from 2197 to 2737 and 600 marks really makes a difference here while the mother nature test result increased from 11.6 to 13.1 FPS.

Quake result has slightly decreased, but just by 1 to 2 FPS while Aquanox jumped in 16x12 from 24 FPS to 26.8 FPS.

If you have FX 5600 or 5200 get this driver – it's a must have item! Seems that Nvidia still has a few nags to run in the graphics desperation derby.

------------------------
    Source: TheInquirer

2. razor74

razor74 New Member

I just want to see some UT2k3 benchmarks and we will talk about these benchmarks later:hmm: ....

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

yeah

and what about IQ...

4. Hanners

Hanners New Member

Huge performance increases, but seemingly only in 3DMark? :bleh:

Far be it from me to point fingers, but... :hmm:

5. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

If the numbers hold true, then I'm ashamed that nVidia is slumping to ATI's level of producing/marketing cards that claim to be 'faster than their competitors' only based off that benchmark. Oh well, when you are burried in a whole this big, just about anything will help you dig out.

6. shai

shai Banned

but is this faster on gfx 4 cards

7. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Since its a DetFX driver - I'd assume its optimizations would only be for FX cards.

8. #1RAGE

#1RAGE New Member

I'd be more concerned about whether games run faster. I wonder how many people buy video cards to watch 3dmark? :uhoh:

9. CherryPopper

CherryPopper New Member

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

ROFLMFAOA~~~~~~~~

This has been a REALLY giggly night for me on the net, and now I get to do another weird thing....

That story was posted here at DH a little while after the nVnews one was.....about as long as it took me to read the article & understand it (it WAS a bit of a thinky one, but in a real good way and very well explained...IMHO) and to quit laughing hysterically and raving about it. (People have been teasing me with the story for almost a full day now and it was driving me nuts to find out what it was...when I did I just completely lost it at the scope of nVidia's hubris/brainfart! :lol: )

Damn it, I had to re-direct a post from a post of mine to a post of mine which list that post...I think I'm starting to get a bit dizzy with laughter at the general weirdness of me whole evening! :lol:

Funny thing? I just finished the SECOND mission of Vice City and got a real happy surprise to boot. All in all, it 'twas a most excellent day. :)

11. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

If you haven't noticed nVidia has put most of their time into increasing 3DMark scores.... It affects some peoples' egos. Most kids just care about 3DMark... They need to pull their heads out of their A$$ES though.... Cuz 3DMark aint all that realistic.

12. EvilTypeGuy

EvilTypeGuy New Member

I personally don't think they're cheating with the new drivers. The new drivers greatly increased Anistropic Filtering quality for some people, and they also greatly increased performance for FSAA modes when running games like UT2003.