NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Graphics Card @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Mar 26, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Review

So today one of the most discussed graphics card launches of all time takes place; join us as we take a look at the real world performance of the GTX 480 covering DirectX 9, 10, 10.1 and 11 gaming, GPU Computing (CUDA), High Definition playback, PhysX, 3DVision, gaming with 32x anti-aliasing and even 3D-DVD playback. If thats not enough then how about internal and external temperature readings, power use then some overclocking?

dipstick likes this.
  2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

You were using 10.3 and not 10.3a for the test?

Anyway, I think it's a disappointment. Sure it shows some nice scores in some games under really high resolutions, but it's expensive, has an insane power usage and gets hot like hell. Also from the scores I've seen of 470, they are really really disappointing and has a hard time keeping up with 4850.

So even though Nvidia is late to the party, they are properly already working hard on a refresh of 480.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Sorry, small omission from the test page. It was 10.3a. The new app profiles were also used. (I actually tested with and without the new profiles an on my setup at least the scores were essentially identical)

4. Segurito

Segurito DriverHeaven Lover

It's just an opinion but, it would had been nice to see the 5970 and 295 in the review, since there was a GTX 285 in the test's, the power usage and temperatures where there and since we've been waiting for over 6 months for this card.

Besides that, it's always nice to see HH with the newer hardware reviews ASAP. (or when the NDA goes puff)

5. Stuart_Davidson

How about we hook you up with those results when we do SLI :D

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Just going through the HH review now, I noticed an error on the GTAIV settings pic, it pops up with Crysis settings. Anyway, back to reading...

7. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Fixed thanks, it's been a long day :)

8. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

Considering the amount of people who use Nvidia cards for folding I'm surprised no reviewers test the folding client when running Video card benchmark tests.

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Ok, I'll jot down a few comments as I'm going through this huge review. First off, I've got to say I'm very impressed with the depth of HH's review. I went through a lot of the major tech sites with Fermi reviews and couldn't believe some of the stupid games they chose to test but leave it to HH to cover everything we'd need and more :D

-Just Cause 2 is listed as "maximum ingame settings" but the pic shows SSOA set to "low". Is that a mistake because it would make a huge difference in results?

-GTAIV results are extremely impressive. Fermi's minimum framerate is higher than the 285 and 5870's average framerate! Incredible really, especially considering the game is cpu dependent. Even the higher view distance doesn't affect the Fermi. Wow.

-Good conclusion. It is very hard to justify upgrading from a GTX 285, the draw of DX11 is nice but not enough. Too bad there's no overclocking benchmarks that's a good overclock.

NCIX Canada lists GTX 480's for about $530, to be honest I'll probably make the leap and buy one. AMD 5870's are too low in supply to get one I believe so there's not much choice.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  10. Stuart_Davidson

HI OmegaRED, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

On JC2, yes... i've just taken a screenshot without enabling it. All settings were at their maximum level. Will find some time over the weekend to do a new one

As much as GTA is a real system killer its one of the few tests that allows us control over some high end kit. Its been good in the past for testing cards with 2gb and now, when you pair a 480 with the 980X you really see some great performance as you say.

I'll probably cover some overclocking results in the SLI review also. As always we were making calls on what should and shouldnt be included right up to the NDA time... some things made the cut and some we held back for the follow up which we will post soon (soon being next week i would imagine). Need some time to turn off my brain :D

11. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

Awesome review!
    Thanks for including 3D Vision and single card physX. That's really what I was looking for. None of the other reviews have it.

I was hoping a little too high for single card 3D vision. lol, but the results aren't dissappointing. The single card physX for Metro2033 is very good and I was very happy seeing that.

I am really considering getting the 480 now as an upgrade for my GTX 260 as it can't handle the 3D vision and physX as smoothly.

Thank you

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Suppliers up here are milking the 480 prices. Almost $530 for the 480, while the 470 is below the expected cost at $370 (these are, of course, non super clocked cards, btw). At this very moment I have my finger on the trigger to get one, but man... in the end we're talking $560.

Ugh! This is gonna hurt my wallet...

Edit: Bah.. couldn't justify the extra $170, so I grabbed the EVGA GTX470 Superclocked card instead.

13. DoctoPuss

DoctoPuss New Member

9/10 For such a hot, noisy and very inefficient card? Ah well, nice read though.

14. Segurito

Segurito DriverHeaven Lover

By the way, I own you all an apology, I was just giving my opinion of how to improve even further the review, but I did it without saying how much I apreciated the time and effort you all put on it. The insane amount of information about everything you could ask.
    There are just so many thing's to say about the fermi.
    Hehe, while you are testing the SLI/CfX I'm currently using a PC with an ATI Radeon 9200 with 384mb RAM because in the earthquake of 27 of February my notebook and desktop fell from the desk and they... passed out.
    Anyway, it was a really good/neutral review (considering the amount of fanboy'sm around the net).

15. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Lol at new egg there all sold out even nvidia sub direct x 10 level cards. I guess these cards out reach for me to rich for my blood lol. I rather get 2x radeon 5770 then one of those GTX 470 cards. It be prefect for nvidia come out with 250 buck direct x 11 card I would by that for sure looks like there not going for it. :(.

16. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Thank you for the great review as usual.

As for the product, a big Meh from me. Too much power consumption, too loud (is it my imagination or they are trying to copy the horrible ATI cooling?).
    Performance wise, it can barely keep up or beat in some games the 5870! I guess it was lucky the 5970 wasn't in the review.

I just...unless one need to use CUDA and Physx at hardware, I don't know why one would prefer this card.

I am disappointed.

The card is not available here to check prices, but from the looks of it it will be higher priced than even the 5970 here...yeah lol.

17. sp3ctral

sp3ctral New Member

GTX 480 Benchmark Results

Hi, just joined the forums- long time reader of HH articles, and this another great review.

Had a look through a number of hardware review sites at the GTX480- to kind of get a sense of the average performance. I noticed two things that differed in the HH review: the load temperature of 86 C (all other sites reported 95+ C), and also some of the benchmark scores themselves.

In particular, the scores for Metro 2033, AvP, Dirt 2 and Crysis are quite different to other sites' results- by enough to put the 5870 and 480 on a much more even footing.

Are all the scores like the median of fraps testing sessions?

18. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

The problem with 480, is that 5970 will not be much more expensive. Here in Denmark we are talking about 20-30£ more for the 5970, which off couse would be a much better buy. And the 4870 is like 150-170£ cheaper, that's a lot and when the 480 will finally hit the market properly late April, the prices for both 5870 and 5970 will be even lower

It's a fine review as always, but the scores are off. 9/10 in build quality, when it uses that much power, is noisy and gets hot, more like 7/10. 9/10 in value is off also, it's way to expensive, 7/10 again would be my score. Overall: 8/10

19. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn New Member

AW: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Graphics Card @ HH

Late release and not overly much beating the competition, fairly underwhelming, but not a complete desaster at least.

Also the heat and power usage probably makes a dual GPU GTX495 quite unlikely.

Well, so far I still have no real need to upgrade from my two 9800GTX cards, so I'll sit back and wait for the next refresh release from both companies.

20. darkunknown88

darkunknown88 New Member

The performance of the GTX480 isn't very much good as much as I expected......I will only go for the 480 if it can outperform the 5870 in dual2x configuration. Alienware says that that the dual 5870's gave 168% performance in one of their tests. Anyhow why cant we just go for 5970's instead(with sapphire and vaporX cooling:Dhehe....)? The only advantage the 480 has is the 3D vision. But most game enthusiasts do not prefer 3D and it wont come much to an advantage. The 480 looks really cooooool and I had expected merciless performance from it but I have found it quite disappointing from my side. The 5870 had a bit edge in a few tests over the 480 at times. The worst part is the 480 released much later than the 5870. ATI could have come up with a much better card if they had experimented more like the nVidia Another thing; I read once in the driverheaven news that the the ATI is going to refresh their 5000 series cards owing to the developments made by nVidia. Got any more info about this?