NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Graphics Card @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Mar 26, 2010.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Thanks for the huge indepth review. The performance margin between 5870 and gtx480 isn't that much to justify the price , but it is also understandable because 5870 has been out for months and 480 is just released. I am not impressed by the noise and heat as well , but I guess XFX or Zotac can offer better cooling like Sapphire do with Ati cards ;) . The price is the main blockade right now for me and many others , only people who are interested in Physx , Cuda and 3D will favour 480.

Btw , I've read in the CCC 10.3 , it enabled 3d view for Ati cards , is that true , would be nice to know how it perform then.

2. sammorris

sammorris New Member

While I am impressed with how thorough the review is, I'm disappointed by the conclusion. The performance the GTX480 offers is absolutely dire given the fact it costs well over £100 more than the HD5870 and uses so much power that the average gamer loses £40 extra per year in electricity bills versus the 5870. The fact you can buy two 5850s for the same sort of price as the 480 that use a similar amount of power if not less, and are way ahead of the 480's scores renders the GTX480 in my opinion, undeserving of anything above 7/10 for a product score. 9 is grossly overstating the card's abilities.

3. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

nice review. but reading more reviews from other sites as well; it seems to me the best card for price, temp and power usage, is still the 5850 and not (what I hoped) the 470.

I agree with sammorris, the score is too high for the 480. It uses more power, costs allot more and only a slight increase in performance. perhaps drivers will improve it over time, but it isn't going to be breathtaking. I'll probably end up with one of these somewhere down the line though, but that depends on how good aftermarket coolers will be when released.

4. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

This card is an absolute joke all their performance predictions were utter bullshit.
    6-9 months for this performance? 20-30%? Sorry Green Fanboys, but for the price you can almost get a 5870x2 and kick this things ass.

It's disgusting to see nvidia flatout let everyone down. I said it before YOU CAME 9 MONTHS LATE you had better take the performance crown. But by a small margin such as this? piss off.

Anyhow great review, sorry I haven't been around, finals for school are kicking my ass.

5. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

^small margin? It beats a 5970 in CoD5/MW2 and Far Cry 2 with launch drivers vs catalyst 10.3

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What are you having and can I have some?

7. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Re: GTX 480 Benchmark Results

Hi, for the temperatures. I guess they could be down to testing practices, environments etc... even how quick the card is to react to sharp temp increases. For our testing (24c room) the cards reaction to increases was slow on occasion but generally when it was getting to 80 the fan really kicked in and leveled out at 86c. Maybe these other sites were testing in hotter environments or cases with low airflow ? Not sure any consumer would ever spend $499 on a card and put it in an average case but regardless, our results were repeatable and confirmed in 2 applications so I am happy.

With regards to performance, not sure if you are saying we made it look closer or other sites did. What I can say is that our testing was the average result of 3 runs to ensure no odd highs or lows were published. They were also real world gameplay rather than timedemos or benchmarks. All cards were tested in the last week, no old results were used. The drivers and games were up to date (note: this included ati's latest app patches which were released about a week ago and not used by most sites). There are usually glaring errors in other sites testing if you look close enough. Even down to using old drivers or leaving turbo mode enabled which gives inconsistant results in GFX reviews.

In addition to this, looking specifically at Metro 2033, there is a significant gap in performance between indoor and outdoor sections. We therefore gave both sets of performance (and then added PhysX so you had the full picture). I think though, if you look at the amount of information given in our article added to our testing practices you will find that ours gives the most complete and thorough evaluation of the card.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

To the people who mention how unhappy they are (to put it mildly) with the marks given in the review, I believe you are over reacting. It's not like this is an average card. On its own, with the good things going for it, it is a 9/10 card and I don't see how any respectable reviewer would give it any/much less than that unless he had a thing against Nvidia cards.
    Yes, I too believe this is too little too late, and it just doesn't fill me with confidence about what Nvidia can do this round (it feels like the 5970 can easily beat it, and the 5870 can fight along it just fine if not beat it at some), but it doesn't mean it isn't a good graphics card. Nvidia clearly, either because they wanted to or because they couldn't do otherwise, decided to pay more focus on other things, "3D", Cuda,etc. I think it was a mistake, triggered by the 3DFX haunting and fear they might win the speed battle but lose the war.
    I can still see this is a 9/10 card. The same way I can see the 5970 as the best card out there, at 9.5/10 but still a joke in regards to the price as is the 480.

9. Stuart_Davidson

With regard to pricing, thats a great deal you are getting on the 5970 (or a really bad one on 480!). We have to take into account a wide audience for the value score and in the US/UK the difference between 480 and 5970 is $200/£100 (unless you can find special offers, though unlikely with current demand!). That $200 gap was taken from Newegg and is a huge difference in price which really makes them incomparible in a review looking at single card performance. I would say though that the comparison you make with 4870 is fair to an extent. Everyone has a different budget and requirements. For some an older card is much better suited but for enthusiasts who want all the features at high res... they have to pay (that includes ATI customers too).

For the scoring, i'm pretty sure that everyone would have differences here or there but having used every pretty much every major component in the last 7 years, then tested every major feature of the 480 I feel the scores are fair. To explain a little futher, if it makes sense, build quality was a low 9 rather than a high 9 which then had a knock on effect to the overall score... 2x9 and 2x10 can on occasion give you a 10 overall... maybe if the 2 9's were close to being 10s. On this occasion the level of 9's/10's meant it was a solid 9 overall.

Sitting looking at the card today, i think my overall opinion... which was expressed in the review also, is that this card will actually grow into the market. It is a very forward thinking design (possibly thats through a little luck rather than planning) and the way games are going at the moment with tessellation, depth of field etc the GTX 480 will continue to perform above the 5870 and the heavier the use of DX11 effects the larger the gap will be. (Also worth considering the value an extra 512mb of memory gives at the high res these cards are aimed at).

Its probably also worth saying that the more I see PhysX, the more i think it adds huge value to the GF range. When its done right, ATI cant compete on an IQ level (which i find dissappointing as a consumer)... Just Cause 2 was another interesting aspect, if they continue to add CUDA effects to games as an alternative to PhysX then its another win for NV each time because that Bokeh effect (as an example) is rather cool.

10. Stuart_Davidson

Some very good points which I agree with. I was thinking as I tested that Gigabyte might be the partner to watch when they get to do their own design. They are known for better quality PCB, components and cooling and if you took that and maybe even look to add a small OC then it becomes a killer card (and def one that would be worth considering as a 10 for build quality).

Pretty much spot on about the price/features too... the 480 is a feature packed card and some will get more value than others.

11. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Quick question, how much of the performance increase for the 480 over the 5870, especially in maximum settings would be down to the 480's extra 500MB of RAM (a 50% increase over the 5870). Sapphire are releasing a 2GB variant of the 5850 so its likely they will release a 2GB variant of the 5870.

Also was it just a reference 5870 that you used? What would the performance difference be like compared to a Sapphire Vapour-X 5870 which has a factory overclock and superior cooling and retails for about £350

12. Stuart_Davidson

I would say that dire is certainly overstating it. :D

Power is an issue, yes. Though the target market isnt exactly one which has often cared about electricity bills. I cant, as an example, remember any major criticism of the 295/5970 as being complained about in that sense. Most CPUs that this will be used with hit 140w alone.

Interesting comparison with the 2x5850 though. It would be very close in terms of heat, noise and power. Gaming would be better in some titles at the moment but you wouldnt have the extra features the 480 offers.

As was stated in the conclusion... its a complex decision for every consumer but overall the feeling here is that the performance in games, mixed with the potential of the card... added to the features, outweigh the power use and noise level.

Now, if ATI can get their act together with GPU computing, 3D support and throw a lot of resource at dev rel to better physics use....

13. Stuart_Davidson

You know, i couldnt really tell from the tone of your post :rofl:

14. Stuart_Davidson

I have to say, i just about fell of my chair when I saw it was sitting at $699 atm. Thats the "cheap" one too... the HIS is $749. Gotta love the joys of supply and demand :D

15. deBelly

deBelly New Member

Thank you HH for this wonderful and thorough review. As for the tested card itself, well, I like how it looks :D
    I'm sure a die shrink will make it a great card, but as it is, I find that consumption/performance ratio simply unacceptable.

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

either way it's done a hell of alot better then when ATI launched their flagship HD2900 card and failed miserably at all performance figures being rumored and it was also extremely late to the game. then again nvidia took no time to make a jump ahead and improve which i personally give them failing marks when ati took the advantage and launched a good card and are expected to spit out the refreshes very soon.

17. sammorris

sammorris New Member

That can be interpreted two ways though. The HD2900XT was a failure at performance, but was therefore priced very low, such that it was still (almost) considerable. The GTX480 is not a failure at performance, it is simply unexemplary, but it is priced vastly too high.
    The relative ease with which you can add an extra card for PhysX if you desperately need it (Personally I think it's over-rated from what I've seen) nullifies any reason for paying an extra £130 for a GTX480 over an HD5870. Typically PhysX hurts performance so badly when it looks good, it is only for SLI combinations anyway, and logistically, GTX480 SLI is horrendous in every aspect.
    Unless you play nothing but GTA4, there is no reason to buy a GTX480, at all. It simply doesn't make sense until they lower the price.

18. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I did wonder what the point of cards like this would be, considering the console ports that PC users are fed nowadays. However, having just played through METRO 2033, there are still games out there that can really push modern cards.

I just played through on my system - with some sacrifices. High detail at 1024*700 and still got some lagging. Some amazing visuals even so.

Would love to play through on a 480 if I had £500 quid to spend on a GFX card but price and power seem pretty high to me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  20. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Nice review as always and thanks for taking the time testing such a selection of games. It's nice to have something new to read about for once.
    The cards themselves are a little disappointing however. The higher price tag and power requirements seem to outweigh any performance benefits. Maybe with a refresh it will get where it needs to be and I have a feeling they will be coming sooner than usual. For now it doesn't seem wise to grab anything other than ati

Edit- Its worthy to mention that SLi is very impressive with these cards. A dual gpu card would be a force to be reckoned with!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010