NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (Kepler) Graphics Card @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Mar 22, 2012.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (Kepler) Graphics Card Launch Review

Today we take a detailed look at gaming performance of the GTX 680 in titles such as Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 with single screen and surround gaming as well as Stereoscopic 3D testing. Added to that is GPU computing and media playback performance along with thermal, power, noise and overclocking results. Want to see how the GTX 680 does against the 7970 at its maximum overclock, or the GTX 580 OC 3GB we have that sorted too...

2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Woav :O Those performance numbers mixed together with that power usage, that's damn impressive. I'm not a 5760x1080 gamer and it performs really well in 1920x1080, mixed with what looks to be a good price, this is properly my new card... unless GTX670 kicks almost as much ass for less money :)

3. shALKE

shALKE HH Panther

Nice review, like always.
    Wow Radeon is crushing in max resolution most of the time and Nvidia still having cooling problems at full load.

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

despite any max res issues and cooling problems, the card seems to be an excellent buy...

i suppose we can expect AMD to start slashing prices on their cards now

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say its cooling problems at all. They have loads of headroom in the card and have chosen to run at a very quiet RPM. AMD on the other hand go for a lower temp but more noise.

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i see, sounds good then!

i wasnt able to get a new card before due to school issues, bought a tablet instead and now have no real cash to spend.

this will probably go on my list of things to get at some point though....

7. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Yea, gotta remember this is a reference card too, just wait til we get the aftermarket cards from ASUS/Gigabyte etc.

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

with the review now out in the open... is it right for me to assume that the cards hit stores in a few days?

9. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Should be available to buy today.

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

no sign of em on newegg atm, maybe tomorrow then!

nvidia fanboys will probably be aching to have newegg take their money....

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

At first I thought that was a factory clocked 7970 Lightning but when I saw that was at an extremely high overclock just to tie the GTX 680 at stock I became really impressed. Most people aren't able to get their 7970's to OC that high and the 680 overclocked would surely surpass any 7970. This is without a doubt the card to own for BF3 and if it can beat AMD in that came everything else is a lock.

Very impressed with the price. $499 CDN/USD and in stock at the etailers here. I'm really having a hard time convincing myself to stick with AMD for the next upgrade due to the comedy of errors that is 7000 series drivers.

Kudos to HH for using stock and max overclocked 7970's you know what we want! :drool:

12. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Very nice :)
    In regards to the surround view with the taskbar in the middle - is that drivers or is it specific to the 680?
    I'd be tempted to sell my cards for one of these...

13. shALKE

shALKE HH Panther

I saw in 4 days they can be bought.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This is pretty unfair. The 7970 does do better relative to the 680 at higher resolutions, possibly due to its large bus width, but the Radeon isn't generally "crushing".

As for cooling problems, as others have said, I didn't see any worrying temperatures in this article at all. Running quietly at 80 degrees is always going to be preferable to noisier operation at 70 degrees in my books.

15. The Captain

The Captain Active Member

Just a suggestion:

I know you already provide videos to show how much noise is generated by the various cards you review, but this method isn't that great for comparing noise between cards. It would be much better to use a calibrated microphone to get a real SPL number which could be compared against the SPLs of other cards.

16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Another thing along similar lines is power consumption testing.

Because you guys test whole-system power consumption, a number of factors can skew the results. Faster cards get higher FPS, pushing the CPU harder, using more power. Some cards have more CPU intensive drivers. Perhaps some background task occurred on one of the system during one of the tests.

All that said, whole-system consumption testing does have its merits, and I realise that testing just the card can be quite technically tricky. Just a thought.

17. slickric21

slickric21 New Member

Lovely review as usual, very easy on the eye.

Interesting that the stock 680 beats the 7970 lighting @ 1265/1505 even. Was surprised you found that.

techpowerup did an overclocking comparison and found overclocked (not even as high as the lighting is) the 7970 beats a stock 680
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Kepler 2 GB Review - Page 31/32 | techPowerUp

Did you do all the 680 review with the power profile set at 132% ?

18. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

The overclocked 7970 on TPU beat the 680 on 3 games. I don't see your logic. They also didn't specify what graphics cards they used...

19. slickric21

slickric21 New Member

I think I must have worded it badly.

My logic is, HH review has the stock beating the heavily OC'd 7970 in just about every benchmark.
    TPU has a overclocked 7970 beating a stock 680 in nearly every game bar Civ 5 & Cod4 (doesn't say what clocks, but voltage on stock so wont be as high as the 1265 of the Lighting in HH review)
    [​IMG]

Anyway these sort of differences usually pop up in reviews, different hardware and testing methods i suppose.

20. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Hmm, interesting. Too expensive for me, but at least AMD has something to think about at last.

Just a quick query for the Hardware Heaven team. Do you know who the XFX rep was called at the AMD GamExperience event? We had a little debate where we put a friendly bet that Keplar would (He said it wouldn't) be out in March. I was right and at least I want the message passed along to him! :)