NVIDIA graphics drivers to go multithreaded

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by daRk_heLmet, Jun 20, 2005.

1. daRk_heLmet

daRk_heLmet Keep firing, assholes!

"I spoke recently with Ben de Waal, NVIDIA's Vice President of GPU software, and he revealed that NVIDIA has plans to produce multithreaded ForceWare graphics drivers for its GeForce graphics products. Multithreading in the video driver should allow performance increases when running 3D games and applications on dual-core CPUs and multiprocessor PCs. De Waal estimated that dual-core processors could see performance boosts somewhere between five and 30% with these drivers."

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

will that apply to HT?

3. eggs420

eggs420 my bud > yours

Yeah, but the gains aren't as good as physical cpus (as with any threading across HT).

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

So ATI will be following suit soon I suppose?

5. MSX

MSX Burning the frozen...

"Despite the apparent gains offered by multithreading, de Waal expressed some skepticism about the prospects for thread-level parallelism for CPUs. He was concerned that multithreaded games could blunt the impact of multithreaded graphics drivers, among other things."

So in other words it may only be useful till multithreaded games become more abundant.

6. caqde

caqde Active Member

Well all I can say is that the more threads running the better the boost in performance a Multi-core processer will give you. So in my eyes useful until is not exactly true it's just that the boost will be say 3% instead of 10-15% for instance. But we will see.