NVIDIA Unveils Cloud GPU Technologies

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by MIG-31, May 16, 2012.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

NVIDIA today kicked off the GPU Technology Conference (GTC) by unveiling its third industry-shaping innovation since its founding 19 years ago -- technologies that accelerate cloud computing using the enormous computing capabilities of the GPU.

2. shteve

shteve New Member

nVidia thinks it invented the GPU? Pretty sure that the Rendition Verite and Voodoo cards predate their first card.

3. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

"nVidia thinks it invented the GPU? Pretty sure that the Rendition Verite and Voodoo cards predate their first card."

I had the same reaction as well!! So just because, they bought Voodoo they invented the GPU? pfff....

I guess that's this nVidia smugness, that makes me an ATI guy :)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I have to agree. The Rendition Verite 1000 was, the way I see it, the first GPU, technically, but that is based on how we NOW define what a GPU is. However, to it's credit, the term was first used by Nvidia when they released the Geforce 256. That was their token phrase to describe the card, "The Worlds First GPU".

So, on the one hand they have every right to use that term, they did use it first, but on the other hand, based on the current definition of the GPU today, it's also very arrogant to boast that they were the first ones out the door. That's just Nvidia for you though.