NVIDIA vs RADEON

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by mbjork, Nov 9, 2003.

1. mbjork

mbjork New Member

I don't really know so much about 3D card but I hate when the whole world says: RADEON, RADEON, RADEON, RADEON. It annoys me, I don't think they know a shit, they just buy is because of the advertising of and they havent tried any Nvidia cards, so all of you Nvidia fans in the world, DO NOT GIVE UP, WE WILL CRUSH RADEON!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

2. apathy

apathy New Member

Well I've had them both, I was running a 9700pro for a while, saw that nvidia came out with a 5950 ultra and thought I would give it a shot.
    It cost $500 but was not even as fast as the 9700pro was, it was better at gl based games but overall it was not really an upgrade at all.
    Took it back and traded it in on a 9800xt, perfectly happy with that card.
    I'm not biased toward either company, in fact I really wished that the nvidia card was a better performer because it looked so cool lol

3. rawbone

rawbone New Member

So you've tried them both and the quality for and OpenGL game looks better with the Nvidia card? How much better?

4. HsuGotaQ

HsuGotaQ Hydrogenated Dumbass

Dude!? Your taking the videocard market to much at heart mate. What is important at any moment of any market is to have a card that A) Pleases you (not the other people around you), B) Does the job you want it to do, and finally C) Will not make you become a hermit. Guessing by your post, you seemed to have the great characteristics of someone that might be glued too many hours a day in front of a monitor. I've tried on both "sides" and others (I really did like playing around with a Wildcat last year and obviously my other 3 voodoo's) and I choose my card based on it's caracteristics, before it was 3DFX, then Nvidia and now ATI, but tomorrow will surely be different. Why so much rage mate? (or better yet, why even say something like this?) :hmm:

Side note : I really did your nick man. I'm a great Bjork fan!

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Having tried various cards from both brands i can tell you the NV cards have better drivers for OpenGL....not really a lot of image quality difference but more speed and less bugs.

6. bocybo

bocybo New Member

Somebody hasn't been following the video card market for the past year.....

7. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I too have cards from both companies, two years ago I would have said go nvidia for most things but today it's hard to recommend their cards. Even if they do have better OpenGL performance the majority of "new" games use Direct X as their API and ATi have them hands down in that department, so that could be why you hear Radeon everywhere you go :)

8. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

You need to learn to relax bud, a vid card is just a vid card, radeon, nvidia, matrox........you only buy what is best for you, its a free market, everyones choise is as good as the other, the important thing is to be happy with the choise you made. Now go get yourself a radeon card and SMASH IT if it makes you happy.........bether yet, go get me a 9800xt and make me a happy customer......

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

9. Driver 7

Driver 7 Discombobulated NVidiot

Wiithout a doubt 100% accual fact. Good to hear someone else still believes. I personally have only used computers for 2 years now. And a year ago I new absolutely nothing. I was sitting in my living room and a friend was explaining to me why my NVidia product was made and sold by a different company. That being Chaintech. (I cant believe how much I have learned since then). Anyhow I remember turning and saying how much I liked the NVidia name and compared Nvidia to google. As Google is nothing but good, Liked and nobody has anything bad to say about it. After Learning as much as I have I still believe that. And when DirectX10 is released and NVidia has there latest card on the market I am pretty sure the bandwagon will be so full of people that we will have to make it into a double decker wagon. Thats all I gotta say.;)

10. mbjork

mbjork New Member

Okay okay, maybe I took it a bit too seriously but it was just a minor "joke", it was wery fun seeing your reactions!

11. mbjork

mbjork New Member

Okay okay, maybe I took it a bit too seriously but it was just a minor "joke", it was wery fun seeing your reactions!

12. apathy

apathy New Member

Well I can't say that gl based games "looked" better, the image quality was about the same actually.
    Gl based games just seemed to run better overall with the 5950 but the D3D was just plain horrible.

I was so used to playing D3D games with fsaa turned to 4x and not taking much of a hit in performance with the 9700pro, the same was true in gl games with the radeon and gl ran very well, buying the 5950 was an upgrade in performance when it comes to gl, I could run it at 6x and not feel a hit in performance at all.
    However when I fired up Unreal2 for the first time I just couldn't believe my eyes, it was just downright pitiful, I actually had to turn fsaa completely off just to acheive the same framerates and overall smoothness I had with the 9700pro, it was just awful.
    Same was true with UT2k3 and Postal2.

I really wish that it would have worked out as I said the nvidia card looked so cool in my case, when you hold the 5950 card in your hands you feel as if you are holding the coolest piece of computer hardware ever made, I thought it was a stunning piece of work, that is until I installed it.

They seem to be making great strides on driver development when it comes to performance of the fx line of cards, the demos that came bundled with the card were sweet but the dvd software was an abomination, the video options were a breeze to use when it comes to changing settings and refresh rate custom settings, in fact I think nvidia has a better overall layout with their drivers.
    But I don't see a driver coming out from them that will make the D3D performance of the card justify the high price tag unless they can perform miracles.

13. mbjork

mbjork New Member

Okay, now actually I did this to see your reactions, I don't really know so much about video cards and I also posted this because to annoy my friend who's in love with radeon, and I don't really take it so seriously as you think:lol:

14. blah

blah New Member

I can't stand nvidia cards any more. I build a lot of systems and their Drivers are just plain crap. Directx doesn't work right or at all, Opengl seems to have IQ of a Friggen smudged makeup. ATI drivers have gone throught the roof in the past 8 Months, by far ATI drivers are much more stable then the nvidia drivers. The layout of ATI drivers are ten times better as well, plus the VPU recovery is a sweet feature. Nvidia support sucks as well, dealing with nvidia is like going to get a root canal done with out anasthetic.

15. HawK

HawK Banned

Might be I'm wrong, but i'm smelling a troll ......:hmm:
    It is either a very good one, or one that is trying it out as a starter,
    but I still smell the reek of it :)

16. 2020

2020 New Member

So guys Radeon or Nvidia i have a 9700pro its ok but i won;t to try the newer cards that out so guys should i get the 9800xt or the 5900nvidia i play a lot of online drag racing & nascar. I;am looking nothing but performance and speed that its.!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO guys who has the fastest

17. p0rChM0nK3y

p0rChM0nK3y New Member

9800XT is the best on the market today.

18. bocybo

bocybo New Member

I wouldnt recommend upgrading to a 9800XT from a 9700pro. The XT is barely slightly better than the 9800pro, which is definatly not worth upgrading from a 9700pro.

19. ka713

ka713 Deceased

yeah....9700pro 9800pro and 9800XT are all around the same, so the upgrade wouldnt b worth ur money

20. Spyro124

Spyro124 New Member

Only if you got alot of cash to spare, otherwise just stick with your 9700pro and wait for the new lineup of cards from Nvidia and ATI wich will be around the beginning of next year.