O/S's for Performance gaming

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Esaz666, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Esaz666

Esaz666 BeardHeaven

I've been messing about with all different o/s's.Most of the time i use a tweaked xp system,
    ive used 2000, XP, Me ,98se. Im now running 98se with 98lite Micro install. It cut's out alot of bloat
    also it uses some files from 95 to unintegrate the windows internet exsplorer.

Im Using cat 3.5's and am now running a very sleek system,ive got the best frame rates ive ever had.
    Sometimes 98se doesent allways get thing's right with irq's etc, but with a bit of tweaking it works well.
    Iv'e got a powercolor radeon 9700pro with p4 2.4g processor.Everything just seem's to work better now.
    im going to install Omega's new cat's today. Most people use XP today.Most game problems i had have all vanished and i have an overall better,smoother update. It's seem's a bit daft to go back to an old o/s.
    what o/s's tweaks do you use?.

I wish someone would modify a version of xp . I think Microsoft should bring out a cut down operating system of there own. not much chance,maybe some1 could write there own shell just 4 games.

Im a musician and have allways had 2 messabout with my o/s to get the best from it,cheers

Esa.

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

A new and high-quality addition to the ranks of DH.

<sniff>

That just brought a tear to me eye, it was just soooo true and sooooo beautiful! :)

Win98se is without a doubt still the best gaming OS around after you custom tweak it in. I don't use 98lite anymore since I never really saw that big of an improvement once I had 512Mb in me rig and a Ghz+ CPU, but I still will only do a dual-boot to use XP since I just find 98se so much better in the smoothness/performance department.

XP is improving, but it's still got a long way to go. I saw a kewl custom version of 2K that the guy had streamlined all the best SP updates into all the way thru SP4, but cut out all the bloat and new glitchy stuff they put in. I'm seriously thinking of giving it a go since it sounds like about the best XP/2k gaming environment right now. :)

3. marseilles

marseilles New Member

for game, the tweeked winxp is the best in current MS os, if you need a stable os, I prefer 2000 server +sp3

4. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

If you play online then you really need Win2K or XP as they have a much much better TCP/IP stack and you get decent mult-tasking for things like firewalls when playing games.

5. Redstone

Redstone CEO Vandelay Industries

I just recently read that the "'nonsupport" date for Win98 has been rolled back AGAIN 6 months to Jan 16 2004, and the new "end of life" date has been pushed back to Jan 16 2005. Makes sense since it is still on more computers world wide than XP. Win98 just won't go away.

I have a copy of XP thats been setting on my desk for a couple of months now waiting to be loaded. I would load it but can't find an Omega drive Cat 2.3 based driver for XP and my Radeon7500 hates anything past 2.3. I should probably ask around over in the drivers section.

EDIT: Found the link. Second chart from the bottom. Windows Desktop Product Life Cycle Support

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  6. eyeguy616

eyeguy616 ZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

Re: A new and high-quality addition to the ranks of DH.

Might I ask where this can be found?

I use a MEmicro installation on another harddrive for a couple games mainly becuase of strange problems in XP since the mobo upgrade (damn drivers...). I'm gonna be dual-booting here pretty soon, possibly XP with 98SE/MEmicro. I currently use pullout harddrive trays to switch harddrives easily, so I can also switch to or try other OS's at will provided I have them installed on seperate harddrives.
    ~eyeguy616
    PM me if you can't post it

7. Flash01

Flash01 New Member

I'm back to W2K, SP3 for my gaming rig. With some work 98 is good, but for extensive gaming it is getting a little long in the tooth. I really tried to give XP a shot, used it for about 3 months. May try it again after the next update.

8. nieves

nieves personality tweaker

Windows Server 2003 tweaked to workstation ver is what Win2K should have been. If you want, it's Win2K gold. Perfect in what regards stability, no bloat, no limits. Boots like a dream, run no matter how many processes with full speed. Excellent memory management, this is the OS to use. Beware, though... it's a lot of work to trim it to workstation needs. But once you do that you have the best MS OS ever.

9. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

I had never used win98 before this year as I went from win95 to winME .... Then I got WinXP and I love it stability but it's so damn bloated. This last months I started with win98 as dualboot with winXP , and now I threw XP away :). Win98 is just faster when u tweak it , do the winlite98pro micro thing, etc. It is fast and stable. The look from win98 is horrible tho , so I installed the alternative, fast and stable shell Aston. ( looks better then XP :) )
    Oh , my dads/bro's pc had winXP installed , guess what , he likes the aston win98se more as well :)
    away with XP :D
    Altho I can't recommend win98 to non experienced users

By the way uberlord, I do play alot online (i'm leader of #pure in SoF2) and I only notice very smooth gameplay in win98, very good ping , etc. So it's not true that XP is better for online gaming . Souns bizarre anyway.

@nieves: how big is the total windows dir after installation ? just curious :)

grtz

GuNNiX

10. Redstone

I finally loaded XP Home last week. I agree, it is very stable but loaded with tons of useless extras. So far, I have trimmed literally 1.5gigs of crap during the optimizing process.

11. Shrink

Shrink Recovering Beta Tester

Although there should be no reason for there to be any difference, has anyone seen any sites that compare the performance of the default configuration of XP Pro to the performance of the default configuration of XP Home? I did a Google search but couldn't come up with anything. Thanks. :hmm:

12. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

It has same performance so there is no1 who would make a performance comparison ;)

13. Esaz666

Esaz666 BeardHeaven

I have just got Xplite GOLD.

Gonna try it out and see how good it is speed wize.
    cant wait to load it up, im buzzin.

dont know if I should try it on XP First or 2003 ?
    i'll post with my Ideas about it soon.

cheers.

14. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

Yea I got XP lite too now :). I think it has nice options but it's still version 1.0 (98 lite is 4.7 now) . There's still a lot that they can remove in XP!
    My winxp folder got 300mb smaller after removing everything except the fonts. It's a lot faster in booting now , I recon the overall speed got better as well. And offcourse it's more secure now as my windows xp lite won't have some files that some viruses abuse.

15. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

I agree with everyone that XP is a little "heavy" for gaming. When I played Asheron's Call 2 I was having all kinds of problems because of the demand that the game puts on your system. So I sat down for a few days and came up with a way to make XP slimmer and much more workable. I have a doc written up on it and I will see if I can get it up on my website. By the time I was ready to start to play a game I had only about 90MB of memory in use out of a gig.......

16. Flash01

Flash01 New Member

17. Redstone

One of the first things I did way back in July was use black viper's services configuration to trim down all those useless services from automatically loading. Made a huge difference.

18. GUNNIX

GUNNIX New Member

Yea indeed, black viper got a perfect services guide

19. Zulan

Zulan New Member

Re: A new and high-quality addition to the ranks of DH.

What's the URL for that version?

20. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Is Win 2000 sp3 better suitible for gaming then WinXp Pro?,that i have installed ,whats faster in windows 2000
    sp3 compared with winXP Pro, and what about The XP Home version is this Os faster then the pro version?, i never used win2000 can u explain it for me plz ?
    Is win2000 a passed station by Microsoft ?
    Btw I have ordered The p4 Extreme Edition will win 2000 support it?, and what about SATA drive support
    in Win 2000?

THX in advanced for reply for a lot of questions.