OBAMA media bias?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Falstaff, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Obama has gotten as much of a free ride as Sarah Palin because the media simply doesn't know how to approach either candidate without kid gloves on. If there was a strong liberal media bias you'd expect to see McCain/Palin taken to task for much of their claims and campaign tactics -this just isn't happening. It comes down to more of a failure of the mainstream media to do their jobs properly and provide balanced information to the public; what we end up getting each day is either pro Obama or pro McCain.

I am very disappointed to see my favorite source of news, The Drudge Report, has all but formally backed McCain/Palin in this election. Considering this single source of information is America's leading news maker and the mainstream media rushes to cover whatever Drudge highlights I'm inclined to speculate whatever liberal media bias does exist is instantly canceled out by the effect of the Drudge Report. That's how much this one site can affect the role of the media in American politics.

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Not shocked at all.. I expect it now. I am shocked when the "mainstream" media doesn't act like Obama is the second coming.

4. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

IMO CNN should be change their acronym to ONN. I usually read from Drudge Report, CNN, and Fox News.

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

eventually all the networks will adopt some bias, I recall the Clinton years..LOL

6. chillbilly

chillbilly New Member

Definitely true.
    The majority of the media "outlets" in the United States are swinging left and have remained that way because their owners are predominately liberal.
    Again, it's a matter of reading and understanding what really matters between these 2 candidates (and any other candidates for that matter).....
    It's the congressiona record.
    It does not lie about where they stand and how they have voted on issues.
    And it's biggest benefit is that it cuts through all the bullshit that we hear from the media.
    Unfortunately, there are far too many Americans that swallow hype and rhetoric without so much as a second thought.
    I'm no big fan of John McCain, but if one were to peruse the congressional record and compare Obama's record with McCain's, this election would be a no-brainer.
    And no!, I'm not saying that congressional experiences alone are enough to feed the bulldog either.
    Listening to Barack Obama debate when he says things like "I sent a letter to the Treasury Secretary a year ago warning about the financial meltdown", I just want to puke.
    Obama needs to understand that he's in a position where he can introduce legislation and affect real change with ACTION and not by simply "mailing it in" with a friggin letter. Give me a break.

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

hype swallowing among many things isnt new I suppose
    I mean a good actor can stimulate that response in people, and poltiicians do as well.
    the temporary suspension of disbelief is what the mediaphiles are after and if they like someone, they will spin anything to put a different face on a poltician or anyone else for that matter..
    Look what it did for Hitler.

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

as long as it puts a democrat back in office, i'm all for it

yes, i do realize that is the most naive statement i could make

9. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

you noticed that "Pro mccain" thing too did you?
    I especially loved the polls that said mccain won. When nearly everything else said "tie" or "obama" that's good shizzle right thurr.

10. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure...

Source.

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The list of negative things not said about Obama is ridiculously low, I'd wager the only things that haven't been reported are too boring for viewers to care about; ditto for Joe Biden.

A quick look over at the McCain/Palin side and you've got a handful of major issues which have never even been brought up by the mainstream media. Obama has been grilled ten ways from Sunday and frankly he's boring to listen to when he calmly and logically responds to such negativity.

The truth is Obama has just done a better job running his campaign than Clinton or McCain and he's survived numerous vicious attacks by both Dems and Republicans. After being assaulted on both fronts for over a year any lull between negative coverage appears to be bias!

12. chillbilly

chillbilly New Member

Pro McCain thing?? LOL
    What polls are you referring to that suggested McCain won a debate?
    Every single pundit and poll I have seen have said just the opposite.
    Not that opinion polls and spin should matter.
    Anyone with half a brain doesn't need pundits and polls to figure out who they think was better in a debate.

13. chillbilly

chillbilly New Member

I couldn't disagree more.
    What negative things are you referring to that haven't been reported?

ALL of these candidates are subjected to unbelievable scrutiny and I can't imagine what "major issues" you are referring to that haven't been brought up.
    I definitely agree that Obama has been grilled. And why not? He has been an unknown quantity ever since he announced his candidacy. It's perfectly reasonable to expect him to be scrutinized the way he has been.
    I don't find his responses boring at all though.
    I think he comes across as much more presidential when he responds the way he does to the negative crap that has been circulating about him.

I agree. Obama has run a good campaign, but he is also guilty of promoting half-truths about his opponents too.

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

As I said, it's a small list because just about everything that can be said about Obama has been said. He's been vetted inside and out which is a lot more than we can say for McCain or Palin.

McCain uses his war record to get out of any jam, it's his right to be proud of his service but the media should have the balls to question him when he flip flops on torture and the Iraq war. At present, his patriotism has been unquestioned...meanwhile Obama is labelled a terrorist supporter, unpatriotic and reckless with american lives.

The real issue is Sarah Palin, we're a month away from the election and she's a complete unknown. Everything we know about her comes from interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric. She hasn't even taken open questions from reporters or sat down with the press for Q&A. This is unacceptable. She could be President of the United States by next year if anything were to happen to McCain yet all we know is she's a hockey mom from Alaska. I could go on and on about how Palin has been deceitful in hiding her religious views (she is a creationist and believes the Earth is 6000 years old). McCain should be ashamed of himself for taking her on and for denying the media full access to Palin. I'm amazed you'd even have to ask what the major issue is when this travesty is occurring right in front of you.

I agree with you fully but I'm only pointing out Obama is quite intelligent and eloquent a speaker which often prevents him from connecting with mainstream America. The man knows how to give a great speech but he's not one to be blunt, make gaffes or 10 second soundbites for the evening news. In that sense, he is boring.

Without question this is true. I've been keeping tabs on factcheck.org and various blogs such as Andrew Sullivan's and Obama stretches the truth as much as we'd expect from a politician. There's also no denying that McCain's record of truthfulness is abysmal in comparison. The reasons for this I mentioned earlier, McCain is allowed to get away with these lies just like Bush was yet Obama is held to a nearly impossible standard and if he were make outright lies the way McCain's campaign has there would be outrage. This is an unacceptable double standard and the American people should demand more (or punish the lies by voting for the other guy).

15. chillbilly

chillbilly New Member

So, using your logic, we should all go out and vote for Obama because his opponent has misrepresented facts about him?

IMO, that's hardly a decent critieria to use to select a candidate for any job, much less president of the country.

I would also wonder how you wouldn't be conflicted by who you should pick since Obama has used the same tack against McCain.

16. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Using my logic this applies to both candidates.

17. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

The Media picks the winner of the election and have for years and years.

They pick the person they feel will be the one that's "different" and change things up.

Why did the media pick McCain when there were many many other stronger repbulicans? Well it's easy because he is one that holds a little chance at beating Obama.

All the news ever covers since this has started was Obama Obama Obama Obama and just says all the crap about everyone else.

The entire political system is a complete joke and it comes down to only 2 things.

1. Who has the most money typically wins
    2. Who gets more attention from the Media.

That is it and I don't see that changing any time soon. Think a 3rd party will even be given a chance to compete in a debate or anything?? I doubt it, but would love to see it.

18. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Which Republicans were stronger than McCain? They were all lame ducks and none of them had a chance in Hell. Why do you think none of those crazy bastards were chosen as his VP, all of them would have dragged him down for sure.

Clinton was always expected to win in 08 but the people (and Obama's Scrouge McDuck vault of cash) decided otherwise.

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

why say anything negative at all about the candidates?

it's already predecided .... i would be shocked to see obama not win the election anyways.

20. _ə_

_ə_ New Member

read a bit about election history and you'll avoid making a foolish statement or silly exaggeration

CDsDontBurn likes this.