Obama Signs Defaced With Swastikas Stolen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Iria, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Ever hear of the "Bradley Effect?" Named after Tom Bradley, who lost a California gubernatorial race that polls said he should have won, it refers to an alleged tendency on the part of some voters to tell pollsters that they are undecided or likely to vote for a black candidate, and yet, on election day, vote for his/her white opponent.

Well, racism is alive and well in this election. Several Barack Obama campaign signs in Albuquerque, NM were spray painted with swastikas. And these were signs on private property, as well, in people's yards.

2. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

The other day I saw a Obama sign defaced. Someone used red spray paint and put a circle with a slash through. The previous time I went by it wasn't like that. I've also seen a McCain sign just up the road from the Obama sign that had black spray paint all over it. It too wasn't like that before. I'm sure there might be more vandalized Obama signs than McCain signs.

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

how naive...if anyone thinks that racism will ever go away or die or be diminished in any way by high ideals, motives or initiatives, because poeple only experience two real emotions honestly.
    Love
    Fear
    so that make quite a large portion of the world either hypocrites or racists.
    I would rather deal with a racist than a hypocrite, at least they are consistent.
    But the same can also be said that we shouldnt vote for someone just because of race, sex, color or creed. We should vote for the best candidate regardless, and there is where all good ideas a dreams die.
    Unless people honestly embrace how they feel and discuss why they feel that way or own their feelings rather than cheap stunts then we will never know. But change isnt about absolutes, and change is on the way for hypocrites and racists for that matter.
    This is the time of the two lessers, but it isnt unprecedented.

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Race and gender were in the forefront before the primaries when Clinton and Obama were squaring off and we've had so many distractions since then that surprisingly you'd almost forget what a near impossibility it was to conceive of a black or female president. Now that we're just weeks away from this happening all that controversies and dirty campaign tricks are fading into the background and race is bubbling up to the surface as the primary factor for many people.

I expect there will be numerous voters who will change their vote at the last minute to McCain because they just can't bring themselves to vote for a black man.

5. chillbilly

chillbilly New Member

It's the latest liberal attempt to suggest that "poor Obama" is being dealt a bad hand while he sucks up unprecedented amounts of Hollywood money for his campaign to perpetrate his own set of myths about his opponent.
    Prejudices and discrimination are certainly not isloated to people who dislike Obama.
    He himself advocates age discrimination with political ads against his opponent and for the most part this tactic has gone unreported and ignored.

Obama is dealing with the fallout of being an unknown quantity just as much as he's dealing with racism and if he had vehemently repudiated certain myths about his associations in the past, he might not be dealing with it as much. He didn't do that. Instead he kept his nose and chin jutted in the air and acted as if he was above it all, when clearly he's not.

Let's remember that Obama is the same guy that said that he could no more sever his relationship with the good Reverend Wright than he could his own white grandmother. He also referred to his own mother as "a typical white woman".

No one should feel sorry for Obama. If he doesn't win this election, he will be the first candidate to have squandered the largest amount of money in the history of a political campaign only to lose to an opponent he suggests is too old to compete.