Obama Wins the Presidency!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Iria, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

You mean the dot.com burst in 2000 that started a recession in 2001? Also who had the majority in the senate & house when that Democratic president was in power?

I don't have a valid stance on what Obama will do because of his small track record, so I hope he does well. However, the person I fear more than any other is Nancy Pelosi. Both parties have become either too left or too right for my taste.

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Sadly, history might agree with you. I'm hopeful that the guy can and will do what his campaign promised, especially were taxes, health care, and the economy are concerned. Time will tell I guess.

I think he's a "leader", which is marked by the scores of people or all types who came out to support him and their passion. If he continues to be as inspiring as he's been in the last year or so and follows through with is promises, I think he stands a good chance at winning over his critics and maybe keep people involved with the political process. He's got the house and senate in his favor, so that will work in his favor. But he really needs to get the country's people to work with him and be involved. Not an easy task.

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Is it government's fault when the private sector messed things up like they did dot.com burst?! Who told people and companies to put their money on IT companies that had plans for products but not actual way to put them to action? And if I see things right the Federal Governments budget was on the green. Now it's deep in the red area if you know what I mean....

4. Vikingod

I'm not really addressing your political fears here, you can have your own opinion. It should also be said that I was not a Clinton supporter, but it is really inaccurate to blame a president for something like the dot com troubles, especially when you gain an understanding of the regulatory environoment at the time. It's my opinion that those problems are more typical of capitalism than they are a product of government regulation.

Capitalist economies tend to function in cycles, things get good for a while, which makes people ignore risks, then the floor falls out and the cycle begins again. Its really up to the people to make sure these sort of things don't happen, or rather that the impact isn't so devistating.

5. thunderclap

thunderclap New Member

McCain and Palin created that monster. Remember a few weeks ago when he had to calm the crowd and tell them Obama in fact was NOT a Muslim? (And even if he was who cares? There are a lot of patriotic Muslim Americans.)

6. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

1. My original comment was about how much Bush could screw things up in that next three months.
    2. A deficient normally does occur for extensive military action and/or spending.

Could say the same thing about the recent housing market as well? You do make a good point though that there is really only so much government can do or should do.

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

True. :)

8. Esaz666

Esaz666 BeardHeaven

Well done obama, i am very pleased to see an african american in office,
    it is a great thing, equality is much nearer, I don't think even he can stop
    the continual callapse of our system through, but he can certainly help.

Im really happy for you over in america.

9. Iria

Iria New Member

It is possible he may be blamed. But here's one thing most people forget: the Supreme Court. He will get 2, maybe 3 appointees, and thus prevent a nearly solid red Supreme Court.

10. Vikingod

In my opinion, this is one of the best arguments for his election. I'm one that likes a well balanced Supreme Court, especially with some of the major issues coming up for discussion in his term.

11. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Back to the topic.. I just saw the Obama's speech and I was impressed with it. Yeah I know that he has more than small army to do those but it was anyway good. And I do hope that he brings a new wind of change to the USA! (Yeah it's a Scorpions Song ;) )

Wind of Change (song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

This should be renamed the I love Obama because thread.....
    DO ANY OF YOU KNOW A BLOODY THING ABOUT OBAMA?
    havent seen anything intelligent yet..sorry.
    He is not Black by any racial standard, he is as much white or black so throw that card out....
    If your bothered by the fact that he is black, your a racist, if you say your not...your a hypocrite. there is no middle ground if you use the racial arugment either for or against.
    Enough about Bush please...its getting old, ignorance about politics is enough...How much does anyone know about his future plans and his new government...
    yep....
    didnt think so.
    You all want to do OBAMA a favour? Learn as much about your responsibility as a citizen of the United States, or what OBAMA's goals are in his speeches or statements.
    OBAMA wants change, but there are liabilities to that, and a price for freedom, democracy and change, are Americans willing to pay it?
    For the last F*CKING TIME quite mentioning that we need an African American President for Gods sake....
    What we need is a good president, Black, Asian, White or Female...
    I hope once the honeymoon is over, you all will support OBAMA as much as you say you do now. Its a tough job.
    Come January, Mr. Obama will be my boss and I will take orders from his administration whether I like it or not. Anyone that understands American poliitics knows that every year taxes go up, promises get broken and poltiicians will continue to spin their agenda...
    I just hope OBAMA keeps his promises.

13. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Double post

[
    [
    [
    \/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  14. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Your a moron Omega.

Race has nothing to do with it.

America is headed for a depression if you want to admit it or not and one person won't change that and one person is not responsible for it.

-Obama wants to restrict foreign trade
    What does this does this do?

-Force companies to leave the united states to make the same amount of money they were making before.
    -Increase prices drastically on every item already not being made in the USA including the materials which most of are not here to begin with .

He also wants to raise taxes. And that is not just for people over 250,000 $. There is no viable way to spend as much as he wants to (up to 1 Trillion $) without taxing every american citizen.

What does that mean?
    -Less money in your pay check no matter how much you make. (so things cost more and you have less money to buy...)

So for you dumbasses
    Less money to buy + Everything costing more = Depression

So now we are practically sprinting towards a Depression.

Which he will blame on the Bush administration.

Listen, I work in America, I live in America, I am a 100% United States citizen.

So when someone who doesn't even live here and tries to give their biased collective thought (based on internet news and democratic news stations [all of them]) forgive me for not taking you seriously.

Honestly, I could care two shits less what any of you who don't live here think of USA because you don't have to deal with most of the consequences. We do.

15. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Updated above.

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

doesn't matter one way or another..

Either dig yourself out of the whole that was dug for you be the previous administration AKA bush.... or dig it deeper by ensuring that your royally :xed

so there is 3 choices:

Brave the hard times of working yourself out of extreme debt by paying more and getting less (this seems to be obama's idea)

or

Enjoy a little bit more of exploited pleasures for unnessary things and watch the country around you fall to it's worst possible case senarios (this is apparently Bush's plan)

or

gtfo of the country while you still have a chance. (ALOT of americans have been doing this in the last couple of years because they know shit is going to get ugly either way)

17. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Admittedly, it was difficult for me to decide - because for the first time I can remember as an adult both candidates seemed genuinely good hearted and good headed men. Obama had style and presentation on his side which helped tip the scale in his favor some, and a man with dark enough skin to be seen by many as "black" has "made history". It's about time - confirmation of the attitude most reasonable and level headed Americans have already lived out for my entire life. This election really wasn't about black and white, or whatever. It was about who most Americans thought could provide the most doable ideas for the largest percentage of those that voted - which, BTW, would be the white middle to lower middle class, with most of the so-called ethnics (Latino, Black, and Asian), and younger (22 and under) mainly single voters. Check the demographics. Obama appealed directly to them more, and promised more - and he's young - and on. Those who voted for him could really STAND for things to change - for the better - for them! Now...

He will face nearly impossible mental challenges, strong - even absolutely unchangeable - wills, and will have to do his job while trying to satisfy not only Americans, but the needs and demands of other country's populations - more so than any president in the history of this nation. His job will be TOUGH, and I hope he has the insight, energy, and wisdom to do it like he would want to, for the benefit of all that really need him to succeed. And that he keeps a genuinely kind and optimistic heart throughout...

It does come down to the fact that in order to add value to our lives we'll have to work harder/differently/creatively/effciently/TOGETHER. Obama conveyed that - and most of the voters realize that...

I'd have liked to have John McCain's experience at the helm with more assurance that he wouldn't die in office - but he's still an active Senator. And both their speeches after the vote were uplifting to hear.

Go ahead President Obama - do well - we all need you to.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Actually pretty close to the truth there. I was thinking of trying to get dual citizenship for switzerland because we have to re-apply every 3 generations for my family if we aren't living there.

Also Gun sales are way up, people anticipating riots if anything happens to Obama.

I think Obama ultimately won because of the same reason Bush won originally. He look, sounded, and acted more like what most people identify as a president.

What scares me is he has almost no real leadership experience close to being the president.

In all honesty I didn't really think McCain could do much either but I know he was a colonel and leader

So I really dunno, but I don't think anyone can deliver on the promisses Obama has made.

19. strjms72

strjms72 New Member

i heard on opinion poll that 40 years in the future the white people will be minority in America. so it shouldn't surprise us obama's victory.

20. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

There's no sore losers in this thread. Nope.

One of you needs to say "Game over man!" :D