OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

For those who have the game (or those who don't and want to know what others think about it) here is a thread where you can post your impressons/opinions/questions/etc.

2. Dyre Straits

Until you walk out of the sewers and see the environment for the first time, you won't have any idea of just how beautiful this game is! I had to pick up my jaw from my lap with both hands.

It's gorgeous!

3. Dyre Straits

OK...one thing is annoying. :(

The way they have the grass and objects rendering as you move through the wilderness areas.

Examples:

1. Deer and animals will disappear into thin air as they move far enough away...or materialize as they approach you and reach your 'field of view'.

2. Grass will 'grow' at the edge of your field of view as you walk along.

3. Hills in the distance actually look 'dead'.

In some ways, I think using fog would have been a better solution.

4. Killer_uk

Killer_uk Active Member

I have a few questions to ask you while I wait for my copy which should get here thursday with a bit of luck.

What in game settings do you run at? (Details and res)
    Can you enable grass shadows? (I hear SM2.0 cards could not enable this setting)
    Finally what are the in game audio options (which version of EAX does the game support?)

Thanks - :w00t:

5. Dyre Straits

Here's a screenshot of the graphics settings:

[​IMG]

As mentioned earlier, I'm running at 1024x768 mainly due to TV capture size limitations. I can definitely go larger for playing the game.

Below are the settings within the game:

[​IMG]

Also, as mentioned earlier, I had to turn off AA completely due to extreme slowdown....almost to a stop....during the battles between the Blades and the Assassins. I'm going to tinker with that setting as I go through the game to see if it was restricted to only that one area or if it's game-wide.

As for Audio: I suppose I'd have to dabble around with an .ini file to make any changes for Audio settings. The ones in the game are mostly just generic settings.

6. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I know u can enable grass shadows, but I have them enabled and have yet to see them. Its got a wide variety or detail options and pretty much the norma resolution + widescreen ones.

7. Dyre Straits

I was checking in my default .ini file for grass shadow settings. It is enabled. I guess I'll have to look closely to see if it's working or not.

I also still don't see any options anywhere for EAX. I suppose those can be set up in the software settings for the audio card.

8. Retarp

Retarp New Member

When you walk out of 'newbie cave' into the world you will be very impressed. I walked out at night and spooked some deer. Then I sat in awe on top of a rock as the sun rose above the horizon :drool:

I can run the game 1600x1200 with all the draw levels at max. Sometimes it's slower but bearable. If I turn on grass shadow(I don't even see anything when it's on???) or high detail water the game is unplayable.

I don't know what it happening, but "self shadow" is broken. I just get some nasty looking jagged black areas on walls and NPC's.

The 5.1 in this game is well done too, it's just that the crickets drive you crazy after a while :duh:

9. Duranix

Duranix New Member

Damn i cant wait to get this!!!

10. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

any one got screen shots from the game thats something other then the completly maxed out ones?

11. Hozz

Hozz New Member

No idea how you are playing at 1600x1200 and tolerating it. Doesnt the cursor lag on the interface option screen kill you? Its tied to the frame rate.

I have a similar system as yours:
    AMD64 4000+
    1 gig OCZ Platinum PC3200
    X850XT PE running latest Omega

I found 1600x1200 completely unplayable and that was just in the first area. I didnt fraps it but we are talking probably 15FPS on average, just bad. Right now I am trying to decide what to do about it. My monitor is an LCD with a native 1600x1200 and it kills me to drop to a lower res. It could be that I have something fucked with my settings or rig, but I doubt it.

olaf

12. Dyre Straits

What do you mean? Do you want some less than stellar shots? :)

13. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i want to see what the game looks like on a system thats running something other then a 7800 or x1900. every shot ive seen so far has HDR in it, which appears to be SM3.0 only.

id like to see something close to what it looks like if it was played on my system.

14. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I'm not using HDR on mine, I really can't tell the difference between bloom and HDR ce[t bloom with 2x AA looks better than HDR with none

15. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

The sunset... is so goddamn nice. ESPECIALLY against the watery horizon. Too bad I don't have a screenshot.

But anyways, graphically, it's so beautiful. But my gripes are how they did beards. It's painted on, unfortunately.

All I wish is that I had a PCI-E + 939 board, then I could possibly upgrade, heh. But guess I'll wait until the DX10 cards.

16. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

all dyre's screenshots are on an X800XL.

17. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

i bought it for the 360. looks great but hard getting used to the controller instead of aiming with mouse. i find that i am shooting fireballs over enemy's heads more often than i'd like to admit.

18. Dyre Straits

Yes, all my screenshots are on an X800 XL...no SM 3.0 here.

But, I'm disappointed that shadows aren't corrected from Morrowind. Those who played MW will recall that people's shadows from upstairs or upper floors would show through to the ceiling below. That's still with us, I'm sad to say. :(

19. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Guys is this a game that is easy to get into? I've never played an Elder Scroll or MMO but I'm a FPS junkie and willing to give it a shot.

I watched the Gamespot 12 hour marathon recap and it looks really cool but complicated. :oops:

20. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

I noticed that when I went back to tribunal I saw shadows moving all over the place indoors, I thought my videocard drivers were messed up, glad its just the game and too bad they havent fixed those, you think it would be on the list of things to do after 4 years?.