OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

It's not that hard at all. I mean, afterall, I'M playing it. ;)

You can also switch between FPV and 3rd PV within the game very easily by hitting the R key.

2. Mrgrimrpr

Mrgrimrpr Symbiote Lover

is it worth 50 bucks?

3. Duranix

Duranix New Member

yes. And in Aus, it costs $100 :p

4. Dyre Straits

I was all ready to pay $50 or even a little more for the game. Fortunately, FRY's and CompUSA printed some ADs with better prices. But, I would have gladly paid full price for this game and not complain. And, that's a rarity for me. :)

5. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Thanks btw for the ad help, went down to comp usa and they hid them in the back, lol. Got mine for 40 : )

6. Dyre Straits

That doesn't surprise me.

Now, on with the game!! :)

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

For Xbox 360 Oblivion owners

This posting has been making the rounds today (which, btw, is right off of Bethesdas own forums). It's in regards to the Xbox 360 version doing a lot of it's caching to the hard drive, and the stuttering/long load times this can cause.

---------
    Xbox 360 – Long Pauses with Hard Drive

Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one. Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data.

Original thread HERE.
    -----

While I haven't had this caching problem I do know of people that have, and this has made a huge difference for them. Kudos to Bethesda for this fix.

8. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

Thus far, the game has been WELL worth the wait for me :) It is visually stunning on my X800XL and runs quite smooth. I noticed a little slowdown in Chorrl but it seemed to pass after I stood still for a while upon noticing a statue in the town to gawk at.

The game seems to have the best implementation of archery I have personally seen in a game thus far. I thoroughly enjoy sneaking around and shooting people in the back :)

9. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

the game is awsome :)

now i will post some screenshots soon useing my X1800XTPE 512DDR card with maximum settings at 1280x1024...

all in game settings maxed + all fade at maximum + HDR
    with NO AA

can anyone figure out if ati or a setting in the game where i can use AA + HDR, i remember ati boasting about this feature on the X1800XT + cards and for some reason useing 6.3 cats, when i enable AA HDR auto turns off and when i enable HDR then try to enable AA HDR turns off.....

i thought these cards could use AA + HDR ??????? most people bought these cards knowing full well these cards could do AA + HDR where Nvidia cards couldnt do both at the same time.

so where the hell is AA + HDR ehh ?

10. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Now for my opinion (after about 3 hours of play)

I couldn't be much happier with this game. It really is like Morrowind, with much better graphics and fixes where there needed to be. They really took much of what was lacking in morrowind, and just added it, tweaked it, and made it better. The interface is very different, but after I got used to it, I like it. .

Gameplay is great. I love the new fighting system, the enemy are challenging, but beatable (something that was lacking is previous titles). The blocking system is fun, and adds a lot of depth to the fighting. I've run through a few missions, and they are fun. You definetely get the feeling that this game is huge (probably the only one I'll be playing for many months).

Sound. The voice acting is the best I've seen. The music is the best since the original MOH games on the PS1. The sounds of the forest and creatures are top notch, and all this together really adds to the game.

Environment. This is where the game really shines. the forests are so lush and beautiful, the towns are populated with great architecture. Lighting is beatiful, often breathtaking. The environment is more than I even expected it to be. Completely unmatched in any game to date.

Gripes. Not many here. Some graphical issues persist, but nothing major. Maybe the worst of all is the ultra low res textures on some distant hills. I didn't notice it everywhere though, only in some spots. The menu takes getting used to, and was designed for console use (grr...). thats about it so far. I forget to save, which can be a pain.

the game performs great on my system, HDR on, everything else all the way up, grass shadows off (the game is very playable with them on, but I like steady frame rates), 1280*1024 resolution (best my monitor can do). I have yet to notice a load time (except for the fact that it tells you it is loading.

Thats about all I can say now, just get the game if you haven't, you won't be dissapointed. i might install is on my lappy for shits and giggles.

11. Alien1

Alien1 Banned

I am going to have it soon along with a 7900 GTX

I am soooo anxious to play it...especially at 1600x1200 with AA\AF or beyond...

as about the shadows not beeing perfect...i can live with that
    Everything else is great in these game as i hear and from what i saw

12. ViRuS2k

haha you have practicly got the same system spec as me :p
    have you figured out how to get AA + HDR working ? lol
    i noticed that with 6xaa and bloom on the graphics are so much better than with no aa and HDR but im thinking im missing out on HDR effects :D so i keep going from HDR no AA to AA + Bloom lol cant make my mind up :p

also in the graphics settings ingame if you use the slider wich i didnt even notice lol you can up the Farout graphics settings so things like animals and tree`s and grass and foliage dont popup in ya face lol, but dam this game is awsome :)

i have also found it hard to steal from people, i was trying to rob this catlike human lol in a tent in the imperial grounds or somewhere like that and he caught me lol then i got attacked by 5 people they all boxed me in a turned me to mush :p
    so how do you theif correctly lol also the bribeing system, how the hell do you bribe correctly hehe :D

13. Dyre Straits

You will likely have trouble until you get a higher level. :)

Same goes with bribing. Your reputation will have to be better with the particular race/s that you're trying to bribe.

ALSO, for those who aren't aware of it, here's a tip about getting caught commiting a crime:

If you know you've been caught red-handed going afoul of the law. PAUSE the game right there and bring up your Inventory. DROP EVERYTHING before the authorities confront you! VERY IMPORTANT.

Because you've dropped everything....except your gold....you will have to pay the fine (I don't like going to jail ;) ) and they won't have anything to confiscate from you that you've stolen so, once you pay the fine you can go back and pick up everything where you dropped it. :) (I learned this little trick in MW and it worked the one time I've been caught stealing in OB. ;)

14. ViRuS2k

Nice tip but i got a better one :)
    before you rob someone save your game, if you get caught just reload your save, that way you dont have to mess about droping everything or even paying the fine lol

15. Vikingod

There is no HDR + AA in the PC version, only the XBOX 360 (I think this has more to do with politics than technology), so you are out of luck. I haven't tried the Bloom + AA yet, I will tonight if yousay it looks nice. Jaggies don't really bother me, so I hardly notice them.

16. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Can anyone link me, or post a couple shots comparing hdr and aa iq differences in oblivion?

17. Vikingod

Here is HDR [​IMG]

Here is Bloom [​IMG]

These are from the Bethesda forums, Look like HDR for the win!

18. topbob

topbob New Member

this game is damn amazing
    played it for 11 hours yesterday, time to play it even longer:cool:

19. ViRuS2k

yeah but no AA :(

hmmm im hopeing to dear god that ATI bring out a update so XK1 users can get AA + HDR in this game, without it its jaggy central lol
    i have another problem with this game and its an annoying problem aswell.

the faces of everything i meet be it human ? or mamal, the shadows are all messed up, practicly every face has shadows on it and it looks weird,

SAME DAM SHADOW BUG THAT ATI CARDS HAVE, then again i noticed no THE WAY ITS MENT TO BE PLAYED logo splattered on an intro of the game lol
    so what gives hmmmm

20. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Thanks for that viking...the hdr shot is definitely much more vibrant. Another reason for me to ditch my 9800pro in the coming months.