OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. MiDri

MiDri New Member

I play mainly in first-person, my guys a archer/mage (did not plan on using magic that much, but just sort of happend...)

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

First person mode here. Gets to be a pain playing in 3rd person when you try to activate stuff, or pick items/access items when you can't see them. Even more painfull when you have to toggle from 3rd to 1rst just to do that.

The only time 3rd person perspective comes in handy is while sneaking within buildings. You don't want to accidentally bump into a table, and send stuff flying off of it... unless you WANT to wake people up that is. :lol:

3. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I believe a few of the people who worked on thief also did this game. Although sneaking in thief was done WAY better IMO.

4. Tipstaff

OH man.. THIS is too much. :rofl:

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Ingenious!!! I'm still laughing. :D

6. Dyre Straits

OK...tell me whether this is a glitch or if I've done something wrong:

Closed the Oblivion Gate @ Kvatch.

Talked to the Captain near the fence/railing.

Joined him to do battle against the foes in the courtyard.

Went INTO the cathedral to rest up and restore health as needed.

Destroyed all the foes in the courtyard.

Tried to get the cathedral survivors to leave.

Was told they weren't going anywhere until the Captain gave the 'all clear' signal.

Went back out to the fence/railing.

Captain is NOW standing [AGAIN] at the fence/railing and asked me to join him in doing battle against the foes in the courtyard.

Went back inside the gate and....

Start all over.

Why?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  7. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

sounds like a glitch. whats supposed to happen is you walk into kvatch and kill everything. talk to him in the church and then join him for battle. walk out the other side of the church and kill everything.

you then walk over to the bridge which will be locked down. hell tell you they need to lower the bridge so they can get to the Count. he then sends you back inside to get the key to get into the gate house and lower the gate.

8. Dyre Straits

I think it was a glitch of some kind. Even after clearing the courtyard the second time, AND, after getting the onscreen prompt that I should go talk to the captain, he was standing right there, my green map icon pointing to him...and yet, I could walk right through him and not talk to him. Very weird.

Then, I went into the cathedral again, talked to one of the guards who -- again -- told me I wasn't saving anybody until the captain gave the all clear.

THEN, when I went out this time, the captain would talk to me.

I'm WAY past this point now.....and on my way to the Arcane University to take a book I picked up. :)

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Though I don't want to admit it, now that I've gotten video gaming out of my system completely I feel a lot better with myself.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Huh? You feel better "about yourself" because you stopped playing a game? What about the game made you feel bad in the first place?

11. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The Oblivion Gates are becoming really easy the past few times. Jump over a wall here and there, and bam you are at the tower. Last one i finished in under 5 minutes.

What are some good stores where i can find some good light magically armor? I am still using some craptastic Elven & Mithril non-enchanted armor even though I have 60K gold.

12. Alien1

Alien1 Banned

I am playing it at 1600x1200 with a X800XT without AA and not all maxed of course and using the pretty water mod, the better Landscape mod & Dual core\hyperthreading Enabled from oblivion.ini

i have a little stutter in some areas

I am some levels behind you

I am level 11 Battlemage and i already have Dwarf armour (a goldish kind of armour) and 2 enchanted weapons (i have sold the 1 for money)

13. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

the best light armor ive found yet was from completeing the dark brotherhood quest. you get both a hood and robe from it, that adds +11 and +4 to about half of your stats.

14. JDwoods[TeamATi]

JDwoods[TeamATi] New Member

I am playing on Ultra High Settings with a 1650x1080 res and the game looks fantastic.

Like some of the other guys have said, this style of play isn't for my liking. I am going to give it a few more weeks and see what I think after I have tried out a few different characters and some upper level chars.

15. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I think I am going to have to give up 10 hours of play :( as there seems to be a bug in Kavatch, I am suppose to follow the dude, but he doesn't move. He just stands in the same spot.

16. Dyre Straits

Which 'dude'? Martin, or the Captain?

17. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The captain. I have to follow him to the Count, But he just stops by the Castle, if you ask him go again. He says to follow him outside the door and outside is the castle (he says this while he is still in the abbey also). But he just continues to stand there afterwards. I even tried to kill him lol (i guess you can't kill important people because he would come back to life afterwards) but still nothing.

There is no way to get into the castle either at least that I can see.

Anyone know the ` command to walk through walls or whatever. I really don't want to loose all that gameplay.

18. Tipstaff

Actually, Dyre had this same problem just recently. Go back 1 page to post number 388 (?) I think.

19. Dyre Straits

Yes, this was quite a weird experience. You might go into the cathedral and try resting a bit. Talk to the guards in there before going back to the captain.

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member