OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Hahaha, ur barely starting huh? Takes a while to get used to some things because its not like Morrowind. I love how they made bows effective now. Man I get 3x damage fory every sneak attack. Also when you outside by some trees and grass, it is amazing, I'll get some good pics of what I'm talkin bout later.

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

It's not just ATI cards, I have the same issues with my 7800 GTX. Hopefully the driver released today will fix it.

3. ferret2004

ferret2004 Active Member

I might be picking up the xbox360 version soon, if I can un-busy myself from other things.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I just came from my son's store where he has the XBOX 360 connected to a Toshiba 62 inch HDTV. I even played a little bit on it. :)

I wouldn't be able to play it there unless they turn off the lights overhead and block the light coming from the front store windows. The game was just TOO dark for me to enjoy it.

But, once we got outside from the tunnels/dungeons it looked really good.

He offered to let me take my computer up there and hook it up to that 62 inch HDTV. Man, that's tempting!!! LOL!

5. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

About the HDR/AA

This was the same problem in World of Warcraft. Except HDR is labeled "glow effect" in that game. I remember it didnt work when I got it, then after a certain patch/driver update it did work...then it stopped again. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but there has got to be some way to make it work.

6. Killer_uk

Killer_uk Active Member

I will finally get my hands on the game tommorow ! Can't wait [​IMG]

7. Flexkill

Flexkill New Member

I have the game, just have not installed yet....how do you think this is going to run on my system????:uhoh: Specs under banner:uhoh:

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

should run just fine on it, compareing those specs to dyres.

im actually thinking i may head out and pick up the game my self. that 39.99 sale at comp usa is quite tempting.

9. Dyre Straits

You should have no problem as long as you don't try to max out everything. I also learned to leave AA off. In all honesty, I don't notice anything other than better performance.

10. kingsownall

kingsownall New Member

ive plan on getting it also. now all i have to wrry about is my com being able to handle it lol
    btw my com specs are
    2.8ghznorthwood
    asus p4rvm-800
    2x512 value select ram pc-3200
    ati radeon x850 pro(530,610 on stock cooling)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  11. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

I would say your system will probably do better then mine with that videocard I have a 9600XT + warcat drivers 6.2 but will be upgrading those with the newly released NGO drivers 1.6.3, need to try them out, there pretty good though, now if those russian Extreme ati drivers come out 6.3 or 6.4 ill be happy.

12. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Any ideas at what settings I should play @ 1280x1024 as this is my native screen resolution?

Thanks, Partizan

13. Dyre Straits

You should be able to play with everything on High...just leave the AA off. That's the only setting that did me in.

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

2xAA for me 1156x gonna mess around to keep the FPS higher. Beautiful game :D

15. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

All the settings I change around don't like improve performance, no matter which ones I take off, it sucks

16. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Dyre Straits thanks alot. I figured it finally: I had AA enabled in Ati Tray Tools, no wonder I had 20 fps :D

Man and I played like that for 6 hours

17. Dyre Straits

You're quite welcome.

Now, based on what a few others have posted, I'm now running with V-Sync ON and my Refresh Rate set to 100 Hz. So far, it looks even better.

One other thing: I was having Windows Errors when Exiting the game. So far, after setting my Desktop Res to the same as I use in the game, this hasn't happened again. It will likely take a few more times before I can declare it a success. BUT, if anyone else is having this "Report this to Microsoft" error when exiting the game, try this to see if it helps.

18. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Runs killer with my rig with the AA off. I was trying to use 6xAA at the start and was seeing 15fps in the fights at the begining. Ouch. Once I turned off AA, (which is hardly noticable even at 1024x) I'm enjoying a wonderful 50-80fps. Even outdoors. I also forced X2 Anisotropic due to the ground textures looking fuzzy. (obviously I did some other tweaks to get the boost.. but that's what so great.. you can tune the graphics to get a nice quality vs performance.)

One of the first things I felt proud finding was the tilde key (`) works and I was able to guess the command "FOV 95" would work.. and it DID! But everytime you zoom out of a conversation it snaps back to default 75. I'll have to peak into the .ini file to see if I can fix the default to stick.

I restarted and found a new dungeon straight across the river you start from.. someplace starting with the letter V. Lots of human bandits to fight and build up your weapon skills.

Sorry about the ramble.. just finished a 4 hour run.. whew..

19. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

All day. That's how long I've been working on this damn audio bug where all music (both ambient, and battle) would freeze the game for 5 seconds at a time. Everytime the music would start, loop, or change, it'd freeze. Get into a battle, it'd freeze. I narrowed it down to a sound card issue, specifically with my Audigy card (using official drivers btw). Infact, I've replicated this using an Audigy card, and an Audigy 2 card. At work I have system using a Realtek HD onboard audio, and the game runs smooth as silk. However, going through Bethesda's website indicates that this "bug" can effect other cards, both software and hardware. Sheesh.

Anyways, after figuring a quick and dirty way around this (by editing the oblivion.ini file, and disabling music entirely.. which sucks cuz now I can't hear the "danger present" music) I found a nice thread on Bethesdas site that talks about this very issue.

Now, before you pass it up, the thread has expanded to also discuss other issues, and possible fixes. So, do yourself a favor, and give it a read.

You can do that HERE.

Edit: Woot! Finally figured it out...sorta. I don't know if it was my reinstallation of the Jan.24.06 Audigy drivers (AGAIN), or removing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (most likely seeing as it's been mentioned a couple times in the Bethesda forums) , but whatever I did I now have no sound issues. Saweet!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  20. Dyre Straits

Tipstaff,

I'm using onboard RealTek Audio on my IC7-G. I haven't had the first stutter due to audio.

And, of course, being off work the past two days, I've gotten HOURS of playing done. ;)