OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Damn Bethesda. I am going to sue them. Because of oblivion I slept only 2 hours, and then visited a friend to help him setup his machine for oblivion, and when I drove out of his drive I scratched my front bumper :sigh:

crap, going to bed now and then play some more

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I installed it last night for a look, have to say its a system killer on maxxed settings. only card I tested capable of running it at 1920x1200 with every option at the max was an overclocked X1900XTx .

Graphics are very impressive but i have to say in the short time (15 minutes) I played it, the combat looked poor. hack, slash, block. Obviously this could well change when I put more time into it, just a quick observation.

3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Tonight I'm going to figure out how to set the POV to 90 in the .ini file (if someone has done it, post the information please). I played till 1:30 last night, I can't remember the last time I lost sleep for video games.

If you are an nVidia user, you really should install the 84.25 drivers that came out yesterday. I was able to bump all my setting up a few notches and still get better performance. It also fixes an issue I was having with ugly shadows on the faces of characters. There is a slight drop in IQ, but the performance and ability to bump your settings up cancel it out.

On a side note, has anyone else gone into the painting yet? I thought that was so cool, and a nice use of shaders. (Don't post spoilers, please)

4. goingtojapan

goingtojapan New Member

sure its a good game and it looks great, but i kinda hate it, simply not my cup of tea, if i play RPG they have to have substance and be more linear like final fantasy

5. Partizan

I am kinda dissapointed because of a dumb user interface. It's console like. The one in Morrowind was way better.

And my max fps outdoors is 40 when there is no grass around. As big Z said, it's a real graphic card killer game.

Regards, Partizan

6. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Ouch, this game kills my machine, and is the first one to really do so. I have to drop to 1024x768 with either large or medium texture pack (large there's a little stuttering, medium is smooth like butter) and af only, no aa. It looks awesome though, and i'm really liking the game so far. My 9800 is finally starting to show its age in a big way. Like others have mentioned, the user interface is iffy; on the whole, I like morrowind's better...

7. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

After reading this I checked into it and found in the main folder the file Oblivion_default.ini file. Open it, and scroll down until you see the [display] paragraph. Look for the line :

fDefaultFOV=75.0000

and make it whatever you want. I also found the Oblivion.ini file in My Documents/My Games/Oblivion needs to be changed as well.

EDIT: this doesn't work for some reason.. it makes the whole game have fov 95 not just the viewpoint. You'll have to manually put in FOV xx whenever it snaps back to 75. The up arrow will retype what you last typed so its pretty quick to redo...just a hassle.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  8. topbob

topbob New Member

this game is great, yesterday i joined the theives guild and the dark brotherhood
    as being a theif class, you have to do some pretty unique attacking moves due to the fact you get liquified when strong characters melee you, kinda like a rogue in WoW, but ill be damned if rogues in wow ever did this much damage with bows
    although i do have a few complaints after playing it for the past two days
    the voice acting it great, but sometimes its the exact same guy/girl on every other character, doesnt sound right, and also if you talk to some characters they'll start with one voice and suddenly change to another.
    also i dont know if its just me but some times quest triggers dont get activated when they should, i have to run around, enter and exit a build and come back for it to get going.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Z, this is by design at lower skill levels. You achieve more moves as you raise your skill levels. :)

10. Dyre Straits

I have. And, I have a screenshot, too. :)

11. Partizan

That thing with FOV works. Game looks better, it just screws ingame menus abit.

I don't know. The first impressions of the game were WOW. But now I don't know. I think I am gonna replay Gothic2 with the addon.

Regards, Partizan

12. Dyre Straits

If you're not the type of gamer who gets immersed in the story, you could lose interest in a HUGE wide-open game like OBLIVION.

For me, however, I can't play 'frag-fest' games for very long. That's mainly why I don't get involved in MP online games much. I like to take it at my own pace.

For those who haven't played it very long, the story does start getting interesting after you visit a few more towns and villages.

Also, I love that HORSE! I have been galloping from place to place and it looks great.

13. ferret2004

ferret2004 Active Member

I just got the xbox360 version and will begin playing shortly :drool:

14. Mayro

Mayro -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

There will be a computer patch to not only address things that should have been included in this main release, like the programer linking the function of /save INSERT A FRIKIN NAME HERE to name your save games.... which works in console BTW, and also redoing the inventroy.

They are also adding full support for the xbox 360 controller :)

15. Dyre Straits

That all sounds really good.

Exactly how do they plan to improve the Inventory? I know it was much better in MW, but, after several hours of playing, I'm not finding it all that cumbersome now. It just takes some getting used to.

16. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I've noticed something weird with the frame rate where it will drop for no reason(outside) but if I bring up the inventory screen and exit back into the game its back to normal again. Other than that playing at 1900/HDR/8xHQAF is very sweet. If ATi can squeeze out just a couple more fps ill be extremely happy. Great game overall and its got me hooked like a fish:)

17. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

just got the game and am installing it now

18. Dyre Straits

I've noticed it, too. I think it has something to do with the way they designed the LOADING of the graphics. If I simply stop and look at things for a few seconds, things go back to normal FPS.

I'm mostly seeing FPS from 35 - 70.

19. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Definately a good game, and i absolutely love combat. WAY better than the previous 3 TES'.

However this game is a system killer like said previously. With my 630 @ 3.9GHz, 2GB of DDR700, and my X850XT @ 560/560 i still can only run the game @ 1024X768, large textures, no AA.

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yeah ive heard it gets better as you move on in the game, problem is I think this game requires A LOT of play to get the most from it. I doubt ill get the time. I just got to the point where im looking for the son and im on a horse (not very far in at all). i spent like 10 minutes riding around following the arrow. quite boring to this point I have to be honest, but im sure its better as you move into the game. I much preferred fable (so far).