OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. |Pabst|Raider

|Pabst|Raider New Member

Hi, I've just bought a brand new ATI X850XT platinum video card. The problem is, when I'm on the internet or doing spmething light graphicly everything's fine, I even can play Counter-strike with highiest resolution but when I start a big game like Oblivion or an artifacs test then, my Computer make a high pitched whine, this is not mecanical like the fan but more like an alarm. Not sure if it's coming from the board but I guess it is. I've tryied to update bios but no result. note that I've sent the card back a first time for the same problem and the new one I've just received doing the same thing. For the artifacs test, everythings fine, no error. Everything seem to work normally before I start BF2. Maybe the board isn't made for high performance graphic card. I've heard something about power booster for PCI-E slot. HELP ME PLEASE !
    -Gigabyte ga-81915pl-g
    -P-4 2.8 775 pins 2mb 800mghz fsb
    -1gig ram OCZ
    -PS alpha 400 W
    Thank you !!!!

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Greetings and welcome to DriverHeaven!

That 'alarm' sound you're hearing is definitely from the motherboard. The most likely reason is that temperatures are getting too high for the CPU. Temperatures will invariably get hotter when going into 3D games and such.

So, you may have to check to make sure your cooling is adequate. If you put this system together yourself, make sure the thermal paste is properly applied and that all the fans are working properly.

If you're doing any overclocking, revert to the default speeds to see if the 'alarm' stops sounding during 3D games.

Good luck and post back.

3. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

Dyre, have you tried the Knights of the Nine yet? I've been contemplating buying it (I have all the other addons) but I wanted another opinion.

4. Dyre Straits

Yes, I've completed all the quests that come with KotN. It's worth it! Especially the Mehrune's Razor quest. Huge, convoluted with lots of combat and nice rewards.

5. Rawr

Rawr New Member

I stopped playing for a while..but think I'll pick it up again however I don't want to take the route of archer..perhaps warrior..or mage.. but I was never really good at being a mage. Mayhaps I'll stop over at tweakguides and review there ..well tweak guide on the game.

6. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i was wandering around a forest and just had to stop and look around. i just stood their and said to my self, damn, now THAT is impressive looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

8. wilmac

wilmac New Member

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum, and someone gave me Oblivion for Xmas.

Well - it's magnificent. But I have a few gripes. Well a lot of gripes actually.

I like to immerse myself in these fantasy role-playing games, such as decorating my houses and stocking them up with food and wines and silver table settings and so on...

BUT - there aren't enough items. Pretty soon one knows all the books and clothes and foods and herbs etc. Likewise the caves, ruins etc are way too alike, and it all gets rather repetitious.

The ability to pick up an item and place it on a table or whatever is great, except that if its field touches another, the effect is very violent. One could for example move a feather quill in such a way that everything on a desk is hurled aside as if hit by a baseball bat!

Trying to stock bookshelves is really, really difficult as one book wrongly placed can empty a whole shelf. And putting cutlery on a table is really, really difficult as a fork for example can hurl a silver bowl off the table and halfway across the room!

Another thing I don't like is that there are too many zero value items. Everything should have a value. Indeed, if I steal a planter, value zero and take it to a fence to launder, it disappears! I can't buy it back! But an item of clothing worth one gold CAN be laundered.

I do like the combat system though. Way better than it was in Morrowind where the program did all the scrapping. In Oblivion you have to control your weapons, shield etc, and doing it well can be the difference twixt life or death - as it should be.

The face to face dialogue system took a bit of getting used to, and I can't be bothered with that whirly thingamajig, or that lock-picking system. I just bribe to the max and let lock-picking run automatically. And when I run out of lockpicks I nip up to Bruma and buy another hundred from the fence.

Houses. Well, the hovels are hardly worth the effort but the good ones aren't all as good as they might be. Only the Skingrad house is actually logical so I've made that my home base. The maidservant's cute too.

The Anvil mansion in particular is a great disappointment. When it gets refurbished it has very meagre furnishing. No cupboard or drawers in the bedroom, nothing but table and chairs in the dining room, and no paintings on any of of the walls! Very drab.

It SHOULD be the most opulent of all the residences, but it's not. And it doesn't help that a couple of the ghosts are still glowing on the floor even after the refurbishing.

But my greatest gripe is with the program itself and its vast bug collection. Most of them are minor annoyances, but there are two that had me nearly using the disc as a frisbee. The Abomb hit me around 200 game hours, and I'm presently trying to find where I can download the fix.

But the last straw was when the game locked me out of a whole territiory, to the east of Skingrad. No matter from which direction I came, I'd reach the boundary and my computer would lock up, forcing me to reboot.

I still haven't found any info on how or why this has happened. My only way to open the region again was to go back to a MUCH earlier savegame and lose about fifty hours of game time and lose all the goodies I'd gained over that period. Plus several quests that will have to be played again.

It's pretty close to being a game killer. If any other territories lock up like this it really WILL be a game killer.

My overall impression; a fantasy role playing game that had the opportunity to be the greatest game ever, but which managed to miss out for want of necessary attention to detail. Having said this, had the same effort that went into the artwork been given to the program itself it would indeed be truly great.

But unfortunately, it's not.....

:sigh:

mac

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

First off, welcome to HH! You may have dug up a 4 year old thread but I'm glad to see some more responses.

Second, I think the fact that years later people are still getting into the game and putting 200+ hours into Oblivion speaks to the quality of the game and it sucks that the bugs are spoiling it for you. I have to disagree with your overall impression...Oblivion is a classic game and the engine limitations are well noted and I believe there are workarounds or fixes for most game breaking bugs. I would definitely check out Oscuruo's Oblivion Overhaul for all the extra valuables and items that were added to address such complaints. Check Youtube for the trailer for this mod. I haven't played Oblivion in a few years but I doubt any mods have come out that offer such an improved experience.

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I was playing the "stock" version of Oblivion again recently (I bought it on Steam!), and I have to say that it's still a great game. Sure, most of the issues you mention are negative points of the game (although I've never encountered a game breaking bug), but I don't think any of them prevent it from being still the best single player RPG out there.

It is showing it's age though, and that's why the sequel is coming out in 8 months :D

11. wilmac

wilmac New Member

Thanx for the tip.

:)

mac

12. Dyre Straits