OBLIVION: Game Experience and Opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 21, 2006.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yeah you really need a X1900XTx to get the most from this title. ive tried it with 4 cards now, most of them need quite a bit turned down and lower resolutions ....

2. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Which cards did you test in particular zardon (besides the x1900)? Since i'll likely be basing my next card around this game, it would be cool to get some feedback on what you and others have experienced as far as what iq and resolution settings that performed reasonably...

I'll probably purchase in the performance-mainstream category, so if none of those cards today do this game justice, then i'll stay with what i've got till next gen.

3. HardwareHeaven

Well I would really need to have ran thorough tests on specific sections to start quoting FPS results per card, but I can give you a rough idea.

(this is with a 4.2ghz P4 and 2 gig of DDR2 - dont have an FX system built atm - in parts) - worth mentioning ive noticed some further gains with a 10k, 16 meg cache raptor X hard drive, as it loads the sections much faster, slowdowns seem less obvious. loads are actually virtually instant with a slight "shudder" rather than a 1-2 second virtual lock out with an ordinary HD.

X1900XTx - stock clocks 1920x1200 (NO AA with HDR - max AF), every setting maxxed in game - runs perfectly fine most of the time - some slow downs - overclocked to 690core and 800mhz ram smooths this out quite dramatically. im almost certain the 512 meg of ram is helping too but id need to research this more to confirm.

7800GTX asus card - runs the title fine to 1600x1200 with a few options lowered, such as draw distance.

X850XT - 1280 with most settings maxxed. draw distance lowered a little to help in "busy" sections.

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

is any one else have problems with these god awful menus? i swear, its a damn guessing game as to where the menu buttons are. i just spent almost 10 mins trying to get into my inventory, and guess what? clicking on the fist does nothing. i was click about 3/4s of an inch up and to the right of the menu before i found it.

5. HardwareHeaven

Doesnt hitting the TAB key take you into the inventory right away?

6. HardwareHeaven

If you can budget for a X1900XTx series card it really is the way to go with this game. I notice it doesnt take quite as large a hit with HDR as the nvidia board I have. and really once you see this game running with HDR you will be amazed how "ordinary" it looks without it on ! quite spectacular use of HDR ingame.

7. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Set FOV back to 75. I had had the same problem after setting FOV to 90. The game looks much better with 90 though.

8. riles9262

Thanks a lot for the information here and in your previous post zardon. The rough explanation you gave was perfect :) Well, with that, i think I will wait for a while on a new card, or at least the x1900 series comes down a bit in price.

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

10. Mayro

Mayro -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

The thing im hateing about this game, is that if you want to be really good, the charecter you make should basicaly make any skill you care about be a minor skill. Leveling in this game is a bad thing. When you level, every thing else levels and unless you have leveled correctly, you wont get any bonus and instead of making stuff easyer when you level, you have just made them harder.

11. Dyre Straits

So, are you saying that everyone else's character level should remain static while you continue to increase your skills?

I'm not sure I totally understand your point.

12. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i dont beleive this... im getting my ass handed to me by RATS!

13. Dyre Straits

LOL! Yea, I know it's not funny. (But, it really is! :) )

14. riles9262

hehe, block noob, block!!! ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  15. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I'm hating the radient AI more and more. And the overly complex quests. If there was no radient AI and those f'ers would stay put so I could find them complex quests would be good. Thing is I had to report an Imperial watch Captian for taking the local shops money, so I had to find another Imperial Watch capatian to tell. Thing is I had no clue where they are, they don't have like an office, or a barracks or anything. So I found out (after looking everywhere) that they are at the watch posts but there are only 3 of them any like 8 watch posts. Because of the radient AI they were never there and when I finally found one he was wandering around the city (away from his post, I managed to find him by chance) and I told him about it and then he is like find two witnesses so It took me a couple hours (realtime hours not in game) and I talked to them and paid them to testify. So when I went back to that guys watchpost guess what? he was missing again... So yeah I wandered around for another hour or so and then out of the blue it says my quest was completed......

Radient AI is horrible. I'm not sure if I want to continue the main quest (haven't done like any of it or try to join all the guilds.

Also the person with all the ebony Armor is the person with the Umbra sword : ). I'm glad I found that but they don't want to fight me yet because they kill me in like one chop : (. So I'ma wander around a bit more and kill some things.

16. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I'm liking it so far. Don't laugh but the control style reminds me of Fable.

17. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I don't mind the control nor the inventory at all. I find it easy to navigate. Has anyone been chased yet? I was walking around and some guy started chasing me, and did so for a good 10 minutes, as i was in no shape to fight him.

and OMG does 'Oblivion' in Oblivion looks awesome. Hell even the area in front of the gates look awesome.

18. Dyre Straits

I just had my very first ingame crash. :(

This was just after speaking with the Archmage in Imperial City about the Cure for Vampirism. I then rested enough to get into the evening and proceeded to exit the premises.

That's when it CTD. :(

19. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I save often, I don't think my overclock is 100% stable, so i am prepared.

20. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Damnit, I haven't made it I only got the amulet to that one guy, I've been wandering around for the theives guild and doin side quests. I've barely left the main city, but I'm circling around it goin in all the forst and temples, then I'll make my way to Kvatch