OBLIVION: Main Quest Big Boss Fight [SPOILER!!!]

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, May 27, 2006.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If you don't want to know what's involved in the main quest at the final big boss battle, stop now. Go to the Off Topics or something. ;)
    This is actually a question for those who have finished the main quest.

Now, if you're still reading, here's the situation:

I'm using Ray Adam's ATT and showing the FPS within my 3D games. It shows up in the upper right hand corner of the screen. During this big boss battle I'm seeing an average of between 52 - 68 FPS. In fact, all the smoke, flames, clouds, etc...that deal with environment are totally fluid and very realistic in appearance.

BUT, the movement of the actual 'bosses' becomes more like a slideshow and VERY NON-FLUID.

My dilemma: How can the environmental effects be so fluid, ATT showing 52-68 FPS, yet the battle becomes closer to a slideshow? It's almost like the video is being rendered in different 'layers'. Can that be possible?

If this topic suits a different forum than here, please feel free to move it. :)

2. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

I had the same issue, it also occured with swinging gates and doors towards the end of the game. Everything else was as you said, fluid. Just the BOSSES did very slow movements. The background scenery and my movement were fine.

3. Dyre Straits

This still has me puzzled a bit.

At least I know I'm not alone. ;)

4. Dyre Straits

UPDATED:

Now I'm getting very flusterated.

After upgrading my drivers to the latest Omega's....and noticing poor performance in Oblivion, I reverted to the previous NGO drivers I was using with very, very good performance. HOWEVER, neither driver set is now giving me satisfactory performance.

Examples:

1. The fireplaces with roaring fires are not roaring fires anymore. The fire animation isn't even animated....it's a slideshow. BUT, my FPS still is showing 50-70 FPS. There just can't be anyway this is accurate.

2. When clicking to open any standard ol' door or gate, the object just about won't open. The open animation doesn't commence at all! And these are objects that were opening and closing with no problems whatsoever previously. STILL, my FPS is showing 50 - 70 FPS. I say it can't be so.

3. When I cast a spell on myself or even click on a well for a blessing, that animation just about doesn't start. In fact, in one instance, I exited the chapel and THEN the animation started. :(
    So, what's going on? Anyone?

5. refraction

refraction New Member

I cant say ive experienced this, but when i had my X800 Oblivion really struggled, the graphics card couldnt really handle it. Since getting my 7900 everything has been very smooth tho.

6. Dyre Straits

The thing is, I've played this game for over two months solid without any problems until I upgraded the video drivers this week. Before that, things were really nice and smooth.

In fact, moving around in the game is still very, very fluid. But these items that I need to activate seem not to be responding like they were before.

7. Dyre Straits

This issue has been fixed! What a relief!!

It took making a few changes to the OBLIVION.ini file, but, man the game is rocking again!

Found out that many, many people encountered this problem generally after reaching somewhere over 200 hours of gameplay. Still not sure exactly what triggers the problem.

But, it's back to fun and amazing again! :)

8. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

SHARE? I went to 290 hours and really hated the gates and doors etc. in the last oh say 90. Click* leave room come back door still not open, come back after supper......

9. Dyre Straits

10. Dyre Straits

BTW, referring to the BIG BOSS fight, after making the changes in the OBLIVION.INI file, AND after playing for several hours with the much better performance, I decided to restart from the saved game just prior to Martin and I entering the Temple.

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! What a VAST improvement! It's as fluid as anything I could ever hope for. (I even caught all the action on video. ;) )