OCing a p4 northwood???

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by g35x, Nov 8, 2005.

1. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

ok heres my situation-my mom thinks her computer is broke cause internet explorer dosent work so shes getting a new one:sigh: (i told her to just use firefox but she dont listen:duh:) so i can either stick with my compaq presario with an AMD sempron 2800+ (thouroghbred core) ati x800xl and 1gb of ram.....or i could put my x800xl and 1gb ram in my moms comp (sony vaio, intel pentium 4,northwood core) and overclock (which i dont know how to do:confused:.......)to make it better then the sempron until i get my athlon X2 3800+ in december lol gime some advice plz

2. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

ROFL Overclock the Sony Vaio....good luck with that.....

You ain't overclocking either of those machines unless you got an engineering sample of that machine which I doubt...so just reformat your mom's machine, keep your mouth shut about that kind of stuff in future (A free PC is a free PC), keeps what you have working, and use the other one for something else.

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

What speed is the Northwood. BTW, I know some of those use Asus motherboards. So you never know.

4. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

i forget the speed,moms on it now curseing it out and hitting it,ill check tommorow,and yes H3X4D3C1M4L,a free pc is a free pc but theres the little complication of her saying i can only have one in my room so i need to choose which would be better for my gameing until i get parts and build my athlon X2 3800+ rig

5. Raptor

Raptor New Member

Ok, how DO you o/c a p4 northwood. I got a 3 giger that I'd just love to get some more speed out of. Safely that is. :hmm:

Edit: just read poor soloz2's post down the page a bit. Maybe i better just leave well enough alone :rolleyes:

6. thegave

thegave -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

wasn't the 1.6a northwood the champion of overclocking until the 2.4/2.6c?
    vaio, if its a factory built computer then they will have disabled overclocking options in the bios and you will have to find out what motherboard it is and hopefully a modified bios for it to unlock frequency settings.
    or maybe sony doesn't check up on that stuff i don't know.

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

so far you haven't mentioned the speed of the chip. so what speed is it?

@ thegave: a 1.6Ghz p4 would more than likley be a willamette core. northwoods didn't come around until the 2Ghz era and higher

8. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

The limiting factor on the Northwoods was how high the FSB on the mobo would go. The best way to get most speed was go for a low multiple chip and crank the FSB and voltage

9. CDsDontBurn

that's true basically for any chip. no matter what era it came from

10. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Not so.

The Williamettes were more limited by the .18 micron process and excess heat and voltage they had, so you'd run into a wall there before the FSB walled you.

Anything after the Northwoods was more or less thermals because they ended up getting so fast and hot it was ridiculous, like the press-hots.

P III's were limited by the fact that, at that time, Intel was having a helluva time getting the P3's to run at 1 GHz so they basically had very little headroom out of factory.

Athlon's are a different story.... A XP's are easy to unlock so the chip is more the limit if you're determined. A64's later in their life started becoming really good overclockers and they continue to be, and the limit there is basically how far you're willing to push that new investment,

Northwoods were damn fine OC'ers and the boards often ran out of headroom before the chip itself.

But, overclocking is such a random thing sometimes that none of that even really matteers so much as how far you're willing to push your machine

11. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

yeah im trying to get on it and see the speed she stayed home from work today so maybe tommorow i can find out lol but she complaining kuz she Xes things out and they freeze on screen and im thiniking thats kuz of the 32mb onboard video lol but yeah ill get on it tommorow and run cpuz or sissoft sandra tommorow and post

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the cpu type and speed should be shown at the top of the window while POSTing

13. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

CPU-Z Report

CPU-Z version 1.30.

CPU(s) Number of CPUs1NameIntel Pentium 4Code NameNorthwoodSpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHzFamily / Model / SteppingF 2 7Extended Family / Model0 0Brand ID9Core SteppingC1Technology0.13 µSupported Instructions SetsMMX, SSE, SSE2CPU Clock Speed2390.3 MHzL1 Data Cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line sizeL1 Trace Cache12 Kµops, 8-way set associativeL2 Cache512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line sizeL2 Speed2390.3 MHz (Full)L2 LocationOn ChipL2 Data Prefetch LogicyesL2 Bus Width256 bitswill post more about mobo in a bit

14. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

<<< Mainboard Information >>>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

< System >
    Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    Model: PCV-RX860(UC)
    Version: 28471130
    Serial Number: 3046129
    ID: AB6605C0-11D71C2E-E000FD8C-6F27E618

< System Chassis >
    Manufacturer: Chassis Manufacture
    Type: Tower
    Can be locked: No
    Version: US
    Serial Number: R3261435
    Asset Tag: P02600000000D9CC6C4B7A4A5E05
    Boot-up State: Safe
    Power State: Safe
    Thermal State: Safe

< Mainboard >
    Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    MP Support: No
    Model: P4S533VX
    Version: REV 1.xx
    Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
    System BIOS: 08/20/2002-SiS651-P4S533VX

< System Memory Controller >
    Error Correction Capability: None
    Number of Memory Slots: 3
    Maximum Installable Memory: 1GB
    Bank 1 - DIMM 1: DIMM Synchronous DRAM 512MB/64
    Bank 2 - DIMM 2: Empty
    Bank 3 - DIMM 3: Empty

< Chipset 1 >
    Model: ASUSTeK Computer Inc SiS651 CPU to PCI Bridge
    Bus(es): AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 133MHz (532MHz data rate)
    Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory:4x 133MHz / 2x 166MHz
    Width: 64-bit
    IO Queue Depth: 8 request(s)
    Priority Master Queue Depth: 7 request(s)

15. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

This is a pretty cut and dry guide on chips like yours, which appears to be a 2.4B. If the viao will let you, you will have to play around with the front side bus and cpu voltage mainly, but ram voltage will likely have to be tweaked depending on the ram that you have. I do doubt that sony will give you that much control in your bios but lets hope so :)

CDsDontBurn likes this.
  16. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

heh well i have no clue how to do any of that lol i just thought it might be better then the sempron but its not even really worth all the touble kuz christmas is only like a month away so maybe ill save myself the trouble and just wait till i get my new stuff kuz i just OCed my x800xl and got everything running better so i think i can deal till i get my athlon X2 lol i was just curious about overclocking

17. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I can almost guarantee you now that unless you got VERY lucky, the Sony BIOS will not let you piss around with that stuff.

If you did, however, get a standard mobo with a different BIOS, you could look up the mobo on the website (if it has any physical means of telling what it is) then flash it with a manufacturers bios.

18. kenwoods212

kenwoods212 New Member

I have roughly the same system. Its a RX850...but the essentials are the same.

I installed a new CPU and its running at half speed now. 1.2 GHz instead of 2.4. I know this is because the clock speed is set wrong, but the BIOS doesn't let you change anything associated with the CPU speed or clock speed or multiplier.

How do I fix this issue?

19. CDsDontBurn

first of all, welcome to DH!

secondly, perhaps a new thread should have been created as this is a rather old thread now (started back in 2005).

lastly, what are all your system specs? if your CPU is reporting itself at half speed, it could be a BIOS related issue, or perhaps the settings you are looking for need to be made available first by some other setting? some boards' BIOSes do that, like mine for example will not let you adjust FSB w/o first enabling the setting for it.

20. trapezoid

trapezoid New Member

Bingo - it won't.

Do get a new mobo though, it'll be worth it.