OCZ Filing for Bankruptcy Announces Offer from Toshiba to Purchase Assets

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a leading provider of high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today announced that on November 25, 2013, it received notices that Hercules Technology Growth Capital, Inc. ("Hercules") took exclusive control of the Company's depository accounts at Silicon Valley Bank and Wells Fargo Bank, National Association.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well this sucks. :( It's always sad when a big name bids farewell like this. I guess they never managed to really diversify beyond RAM, and that market is treacherous.

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Toshiba should be able to make good use of the Indilinx technology. Although they already have their own controller technology it hasn't appeared in that many consumer products. In time they could try to position themselves more like where Samsung is now.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I never used an OCZ product but all I would automatically associate them with when I heard their name is failing SSDs.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

There original Ram.. was pretty damn great... their initial PSU's were pretty damn awesome..

rayderOCZ was an active member here for awhile.. answering plenty of questions and fielding issues.

But... it seemed that when they moved from one set of products to the next..... the previous set went down hill...... RAM ~> PSU ~> SSDs.... sadly....

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn New Member

AW: Re: OCZ Filing for Bankruptcy, Announces Offer from Toshiba to Purchase Assets

This. And as such I'm not very surprised. I also remember them for bringing the first 1 TB SSDs way ahead of their time. OCZ Colossos was impressive, but way too expensive. Today I have a 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I bought several OCZ RAM modules over the years. Theirs were the ones that failed on me more than any other. Coincidentally, I just threw out three modules that I had to mark "BAD" just a couple days ago that had been lying around after finding they failed.

So, not really surprised at this announcement.

8. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Never had any issues with OCZ, using a Vertex 4, which has been a great drive. But their latest SSD products has been to highly priced vs. the competition, well expect for their final SSD Vector 150.

It's a shame. There might have been issues, but they were an important contributor and less competition is rarely a good thing.

9. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

Pity to seem them go.. Hopefully Toshiba will make good use of their technology and make it better

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Toshiba's hard drives are terrible.

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member