Odd memory Voltages?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IEMC, Dec 26, 2007.

1. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

My memory, as seen in my hardware profile, is made to run at 1.8v. The board is made to run memory at 1.8v, too.

I went into my BIOS and started looking around at my overclock settings (mind you, it's not overclocked at all, it's at all default / stock settings) and noticed that my memory is turned on to 1.85v volts instead of the supposed 1.8.

The question is: will that make a difference? I'm asking this because I've been having this random freezing issue that I've never been able to fix. It's a hard lock at random times, so I was wondering if this small .05 extra volts would cause instability.

The problem is that with these BIOS, I can't set it below the current value, that's just the base line of what I can set it at, and it doesn't seem that I can underclock. What should I do / should I worry?

(BTW, this is simply about the memory voltage, don't even address the freezing problem, as I have no money to start experimenting with causes, anyways.)

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

usually .05 v doesnt make a difference unless the memory is near breaking point eg. 2.25v with 2.3v being frying point

your memory im sure can take it, just make sure to keep everything clean, dust can cause freezes if in the slots, wi-fi cards too

3. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

While normally I wouldnt trust software based readings of voltages, the only true test is a DMM (digital multimeter)...however it is not uncommon for a motherboard to overvolt/undervolt from a given value set in BIOS. IE- you set 1.8v, it reads 1.75v+/- or 1.85v+/-

Perfectly normal :)

IEMC likes this.
  4. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

Alright. Thanks.

Speaking of voltages, what's a safe range that a +5v rail should be? At first it was at 5.11v, now after I flashed my BIOS it's at 5.16v.

Is that safe / normal, too?

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

for the most part yea, ive seen them up to 5.3v max when stressed higher than that, i think theres issues,

IEMC likes this.