Off-Topic: Muratic Acid/Hydrochloric Acid

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Judas, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Anyone here "played" with this stuff?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Why would one play with acid?

3. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

By-products of reactions can be poisonous/fatal - always a consideration with such volatile compounds. You might want to talk with a chemist or chemistry teacher at a local company/college/university about what you want to do with that stuff.

Two words too - eye protection!!!

4. PruritusAni

PruritusAni Active Member

i did "play" with acids under chem lab circumstances before. Nothing too exciting though, classic neutralization reactions and the like, maybe a bit of inorganic synthesis. What sort of things did you have in mind ( besides safety :D )?

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I used to use Muriatic Acid when I had my construction company for many years. It's used to clean brick faces and concrete mostly.

Then, a few years ago, while working with a very, very young assistant manager at a Pizza Hut -- he was one of those guys who thought if a little would do good, a lot would do much better -- and he decided to use some to clean the back stoop outside our back door. He poured the stuff straight from the bottle onto the concrete with the back door open. The smoke and fumes from that I thought were going to kill us both!

I ran to the front door and opened it to help ventilate the building.

FTR, this stuff is supposed to be diluted when used for this type of cleaning.

While talking about acids, you might be interested to know that if you sprinkle some BORIC acid powder around your attic, it will keep the insects at bay. This is especially effective against ants that migrate into the upper parts of a house in order to incubate their eggs. If you ever see a trail of ants outside your house, you need to realize that they are nesting in your eaves and/or attic. Boric acid will help prevent this. It has some other cool uses, too.

6. Earthmonger

Earthmonger New Member

I once used muratic acid to clean hard water stains off a 50 year-old toilet. That's about it.

7. Judas

i ordered some in because when i got the house..... the toilet was a total wreck in terms of deposit and crap in general that was built up on the toilet and it's trap and reguardless of what i've tried to use.. nothing was working..

sunday i poured 5L/1gal of the stuff slowly into my toilet after plunging it dry, and let it bake for nearly 2 hours. Works like a dream...

Course all i did was slip on some older cloths.... grab some paper towels and didn't wear anything else... and the acid was near 0 degrees C .. or near 30F... so taking that into consideration, the fumes would remain "low" for the time being allowing me to pour it in and then shut the door and leave the house with my big vent fan pumping out of the stench...

The results after 2 hours was great... no special eye protection or mask or anything... Just steady hands and being careful

8. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Now, give your septic tank a week to settle, then get some Rid-X or such to refresh the "flora and fauna" in there... :)

Nice work.

9. Judas

don't have a septic :p

small town has it's own sewer system....