OFFICAL DOOM3 Playing Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by germanjulian, Aug 2, 2004.

1. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

Yo, this is for all those who played it or want to know how it plays...

Well installation was flawless.. starting the game was not. I have dual monitor and switched my primary display (TFT) around to the CRT (cause I play games on my crt and most games start into the primary screen) and the game started minimized in the secondary windows (TFT)....

not good so I disabled my TFT...

anyway did auto detect and my system came on as medium settings with 640 resolution. cant have that can we??
    NO
    high and 800x600 I choose.

start game...... LOOKS amazing even at those resolutions. I dont get how they did it. Only played for 13 minutes cause I had to go to work (where I am now caugh caugh) but I jumped allready. the beginning is kinda slow and the portal to hell has not opened just yet.

I think I play this with my lights on. Anyway ones I get home and made my dinner I gonna play this 3 to 4 hours straight. UPDATES later.
    sorry didnt take a screenshoot.

oh and it was a bit choppy but after I left for work I realized that I left 4AA and 16AF on in my ATI CP. dam cs... :rofl: gonna fix that tonight

PS: yes dont ask... you know the question dont ask...

2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

So you were one of the lucky ones who picked it up at a Best buy ;)

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

:D:D:D

4. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Medium at 1024x768 runs really well for me =)

What a scary ass game... must've jumped up many damn times. This means that the game is awesome, and it is!

5. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I'm looking forward to playing it @ 1280x1024 on ultra with my watercooled x800xt :)

6. rudedog

rudedog New Member

Playing at 1200x1600 and the game looks amazing and super smooth.

I have not been this jumpy playing a game in a very long time. I usually go for the real word outdoors WWII games but this is a welcomed change.

The overall sound is amazing and adds so much depth to the game.

well worth the wait.

System specs:
    P4 3.2 EE
    6800 U EE
    2 gigs corsair ram

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

graphically the game is amazing but after 3 or 4 hours play (all the same indoor running around with the same monsters to shoot) its a total bore. im totally disappointed.

8. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

They kept to the original doom forumla, thats what happened in doom anyways. Hell, that's what happened in the doom books too. :)

9. Stuart_Davidson

Your just not playing it right obviously. Must be that crappy Radeon your using. Get a decent GFX card and you'll see how good the game is...

10. HardwareHeaven

im playing it on an nvidia card now - surprisingly it didnt recode all the levels to give better variety **yawns** , damn, send me your beta card from NV would you? or alternatively try 5 hours of it, then come back to me, maybe the volari might work better :rofl:

11. HardwareHeaven

yes, I know ive played every ID game to death that ever came out. perhaps as its 2004 they might need to rethink the strategy. Im a FPS freak and this game has utterly bored me to death.

Ive enjoyed it in small bursts but come on, 4 hours of running around corridoors which all look the same fighting a handful of monsters which have terrible AI isnt something I relish anymore.

Roll on Half life 2.

12. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Crap, now you guys are calling the XT a crappy radeon?:D But I knew it was going to be a little boring before release; I mean how much can you possibly do in that setting? I do however hear that it gets awesome in the final leves. My XT and D3 will be in tomorrow, i'll give thoughts then. On the bright side HL2 is right around the corner.

13. HardwareHeaven

Just ignore stu, too many hours with a volari, hasnt been good for his sanity ;)

as for Doom 3 Its far from bad dipstick. its very well done, wonderful graphics and very atmospheric. the game side of things is just average, after farcry the whole game is just so repetitive and mundane.

I have to say now im in the last parts of the game its picking up with some nice ideas, but the first areas are just way too similar for my liking, it was almost an endurance test to stay awake.

14. Stuart_Davidson

I plan on trying the Volari tonight... should be an interesting experience!!!

15. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Ohh, good to hear the game runs okay on X800's. I know it will run better on the 6800's(I'm not gonna hear the end of it from my bro with his Ultra) but I'm hoping for some high rez 30+ fps goodness. If anything would be to hold my sys back in this game it would be the XT. But I'm not surprised that the game lacks much variety for what it is. As long as the graphics and sounds are top notch I'll be happy-which they more than seem to be. I'm not really that hard to please with games;)

Btw, who would want to run a Volari:p :lol:

16. Danhill

Danhill New Member

I can imaginge that, but hey you get to be outdoor in the begining of the game for about 20 sec before your oxygen runs out :D

17. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

youre turning this into a doom3 spoiler thread......I HAVE NOT GOT IT YET.

18. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Sorry about that, but I don't think it spoils the game at all, this is just in the begining of the game.

19. Danhill

Danhill New Member

One thing I'm happy about it's that I don't need to upgrade my hardware at all.

(I run the game on High Quality and every slider in the Control Panel is set to best IQ, AA & AF are set to 4 & 8 Application pref.After runnig the timedemo 1024x768 I get 40,3 FPS in HQ and 29,6 FPS, thats with default clock on the 9800 pro, so I'm very pleased)

20. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

Holy crap, this game is really fun. The sounds add a whole new level of terrifying to this game, when you're running around a dark spooky corridor with people screaming in the radio, explosions crap falling all over creation and really damn terrifying monsters poking around every corner I'm jumping like a 5 yr old. The story line is of course original Doom with some fleshing out, better voice acting for sure, and amazing visuals. Turn off the lights, sit down and immerse yourself in the horror. Good fun! Hey Z, I dunno when you're playing but I reccomend night time. Great escape.