OFFICAL DOOM3 Playing Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by germanjulian, Aug 2, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Re: hrht

One: Maybe you have a different version indeed, have you got the John Carmack "finished version" perhaps with some level of AI?

Two: Of course I do, im talking to you, the guy who demands everyone reads every word he says or he loses his cool ;)

Dude I WALKED through this game, everything you state there is glorified "overexaggeration" perhaps? ;). Heres a tip. load up the chainsaw and walk towards ANY enemy as they plunder into you, it will die almost instantly. I beat almost ALL the game doing this. Neat tricks? bleh. Granted some of the demons move a little but they are hardly strafing you !!!. I seriously think you are running a special unreleased version !

Inticrately done? come on man, its a simple task to find some dumb piece of machinery and bring it back to the person in question, everyone of these mundane tasks follows the same principal - wander through MORE corridors, kill the same dumb monsters and return it, then move onto the same thing in ANOTHER corridor section. I have never been so bored playing a FPS than this one, especially one with so much anticipation behind it.

No need to be insulted, I could understand you being insulted if I called your mother names or told everyone you wrote the AI for the game, but come on, relax, its only a game in the name of heavens ! just because someone has a differing view doesnt make their views any less valid, just like im listening (but not agreeing) with your views. Isnt this what a forum is all about? im hardly throwing my weight around and demanding you stop airing your views am I?

Im not quite sure where you think ive got a distaste for a psuedo realistic setting, if you do a search on my posts in this forum over the last month you will see I was waiting on this game more than anyone and praising the screenshots, the horror idea and the whole background to this game. I dont think it has gelled well in the end product and made a playable game, but to just state something like this is quite silly. I could feel "insulted" myself - like you said above, but im not - its not important enough to be insulted over, its a computer game!

Suckered isnt a word I would use. This game has had MASSIVE expectations on it, it has had every area of media focused on it since the leaked build with even the top websites running indepth interviews, and behind the scenes editorials for as long as I can remember. we even have the largest tech site on the net running benchmarks on specific hardware to sell goods on newegg. Now correct me if im wrong but isnt this all hype? and unless you live in a shell you will be subjected to some of it. This game has been basically founded and developed on an engine, there have been no revoluntary game concepts, nothing original, new or in fact nothing particularly well done apart from the ENGINE and the audio. I dont buy a game just for graphics, I buy a game to play and this game I played for a few days, beat it and it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. my strongest feeling was "is that it?". Now give me a little credit, its easy to say "wow this game rocks, I love it" or "best game ever, look at those graphics!!!", but I dont feel that so ill say it. Im well aware alot of people disagree with me, but so what? A forum is for sharing your views, even if they are unpopular. I honestly cant understand why people take this all so seriously and feel offended. Im having a bit of a laugh with airing my views. come on, chill :)

Alot of problems I have with this game are my own - I expect more from an FPS now, ive played SO many, I want to be challenged, I want new ideas - interesting plots and good AI. ive moved on, this game hasnt. Its not because its been poorly coded or its "poor in execution", its because ive moved on.

Roll on Half life 2, lets hope Gabe has something a little more indepth and challenging in mind for me.

2. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Now now, let's not be too hasty :p

3. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Ok I've played through a couple levels of Doom3 now and after reading many post some for some against I went into my work shop and uncovered my old 486 DX2 machine from yesteryear and dug out my old Doom2 cd and fired old bessy up.Yep a trip down memory lane and man so slow,...lol,..but, back then it was fast,I played through several levels of Doom2 and then compaired the two games,I'd have to say the overall makeup of the new game is wonderful,compairing the old weapons to the new was fun though and the compairison of the old hell spawn against the new brought back a lot of fond memorys.I posted earlier that I thought the AI of the new game wasn't so good,well I'd have to say it's better than the original,and no it's not like fighting soliders in FarCry,but a lot better to me than the "mindless" hordes from Painkiller,it's a fight for survival on a space station on mars for christ sake.
    To me it fills the bill as an FPS,plenty of shadows beautifuly rendered monsters and a shot gun,who the hell needs a chainsaw,a 12 gauge is much more fun,:D :D now a chain saw would have been nice in
    farcry, could have chopped down a few trees on the enemy that would have been different.
    Yes after playing the old and the new Doom I think the game is damn good for a first person shooter,
    it also has accured to me that we all could nit pick any game played today for example, in farcry when you shoot a rocket at a wooden tower the tower should desinagrate if hit not just knock the enemy solider off ( who should also be a mass of bloody chunks) not just a dead body,same with the trees in farcry when hit with a rocket they should fall down or at least splinter,not just have a black'in mark on them,at least in D3 when you shoot the shot gun the effects are pretty real.heads get blown off,not just
    sprout red stains.So I for one like the new D3,and I liked farcry and when RTCW2 comes out I'll like it two,and I'll bet a paycheck them nazis still say kill the amerikana,..lol,..to me it's all good gaming fun,.and to each his own.

4. HardwareHeaven

well said :)

5. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Okay, after a few sessions I will have to agree that the game does get a little repetitive. Sure it looks great and sounds amazing but level design and AI is pretty weak. Maybe with a patch or two they can also increase AI because it is pathetic like Zardon has been saying all along. Still a good game for waht it is, I think I'd give it a 7 on a scale of 10.
    Now on to the technical side of things. The game will crash on me if I dont run a pagefile, even with 2GB of memory. Very memory demanding and might be because I run at 1600 with everything maxed. Also AA(even only 2x) seems to produce a slight stutter on my XT. Its not the framerate dropping though, just an always there stutter. I run at 1600, 8xAF, 0xAA ingame but CP is set at 2x, and it runs super on Ultra settings. This is all on the 4.7 cats.
    Overall I'm satisfied with the game but it could have been so much more and the price needs to drop to $50 or less asap.

6. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I like games.

They bring people together :D Or at least they're supposed to :hmm:

Anyways.. All this Doom 3's disappointment, and not living up to hype is all your people's own fault. To let the hype get in your head and start dreaming up magical games which revolutionize the FPS scene. Think how hard that would be. Just sit back and think how hard it will be to come up with something original and good. ID said it themselves, they were remaking Doom. They didn't want to be distracted with the fact that they had to come up with something original.

So with story and general concept out of the way, they could finish on the most important part in Doom 3, the engine. They did an excellent job with the engine! Sound and Graphics :D

You know why Far Cry was so good? It was unexpected. Yes, it's also a good game on it's own, but it came out of nowhere and slammed us with gaming fun. There wasn't mass media attention on it. Kinda like.. Maria Sharapova and how she won Wimbledon, it came out of nowhere and she was great. Now she has so much media attention on her and her victory, everybody expects her to be the greatest and win every game. It's not true though, she lost on the Rogers Cup yesterday. Does she suck? Did all the fans who packed the seats of that court feel ripped off? I bet some did, I know I enjoyed watching that match though :D

Putting hype aside, which I've done, I found this game to be great.. To be totally honest, I thought it would be like Unreal 2 and be totally boring, but ID surprised me with a game with a bit more substance than Unreal 2. Hype is a terrible thing. And I hope for HL2's sake that it doesnt' disappoint. HL2 is a true sequel and not like Doom 3, a remake. If this flops like Deus Ex 2, it'll be the biggest flop in PC gaming history.

On another note, I just saw advertising for this game. $69.99 CAD for the damn game! But you also get KOTOR for free. It's a Futureshop deal. I wouldn't pay that much for ANY game. :( A price drop would be more attractive.

P.S - This debate is going around in circles, can we all please live in peace now? :D If not I'll eject myself out of this thread.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  7. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

After playing, and almost beating (read another post of mine haha) this game I would like to share a few comments of my own reguarding the on going debate here about "quality and originality versus all around good gaming fun".

To begin with, those of you that feel let down by Doom 3 all appear (via your comments here) that you expected something completely brand new. You all expected some fantastic new AI, some phenomenal new game play style, or something so new and so unexpected that it would change the world of gaming forever.

Now if we take these expectations and we apply them to a game, that game will appear to be a "let down" no matter how many times you look at or play through it.

But let us keep in mind that to create a new genre of game successfully is HARD AS HELL, they actually did introduce advances to gaming never seen before (think audio + visual), and the AI didn't excatly have to be intelligent in such cramped close quarters.

Let's look at this from a different perspective (mine). I went into this game expecting to get the crap scared out of me, success # 1. I expected this to be a remake of the original doom as proclaimed by the ID team, success # 2. I expected the game to take place in cramped close quarters as for god's sake the game takes place on a research station on MARS, success # 3. I expected some fantastic sound design, engineering, and use, success # 4. I expected intense attention to detail on every level, success $ 5. Finally I expected the levels to play out in a similar fashion to the original doom games, succuess # 6. Did anything fail in my opinion? Yes, the way the player can interact with the environment. For years I have wanted to see a combination of the Red Faction engines geomod idea with a great game. I mean hell, if you fired a shotgun at a window in an airtight facility, well remember what happens when a window blows out on an air plane? Yeah I expected that but didn't get it.

As such I feel that one's expectations of a game, be they based in reality or not, has a larger effect on ones own interpretation of a game than does the actual game itself. As surprising as that may seem, it's simple psychology.

Anyways, I think that Doom 3 is a huge success as it accomplished everything it set out to do and even right up to the end scared the bejeebus out of me. While the game may not be a perfect 10 (as it is NOT original, but it was NOT INTENDED TO BE) I give it a 9.

The game runs so smooth, the story transitions perfectly, the voice acting is top notch, and the world is so intricatly crafted (via sounds, lighting, mapping) this game is definately GOTY material.

8. HardwareHeaven

Id like to add something quite important to this thread that a few members seem to have forgotten - we have a very friendly forum and personal insults or flaming arent tolerated.

just something to bear in mind before you post hate filled commentary on this site and lose posting privs. By all means express your opinion but have a little respect for other people.

9. blade5545

blade5545 Shoots first ask's questions later

One things which is anoying me to hell in the game right now that fact that i have to constantly switch between the flashlight and the weapons and when ever i have to do this I cant see where the hell I am supposed shot beacuse I cant see the monster until they right in my face, so if anybody has suggesstion on this fire away.

Another problem that I am having is that whenever i set the graphics in the game it tells me that they will be available the next time I start the game but after I start the game again and check the settings they are back at default so I dont really know what resulution I am playing at or at was graphic settings.

10. No_Style

Well, if you press the flashlight key again it toggles back and forth, and the gun's nozzle flash would help. Plus, the eyes of the enemies are always lit. But it you want to just overcome the "too dark" thing, you can type 'r_gamma 1.2' in the console to brighten things up a bit. It helps, but I don't recommend going over 1.4, because it will ruin the game's intention.

I've beaten the game. I'm satisfied :D Yay for the last boss! My favourite enemy from the original Doom series :evil:

11. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

Re: I like games.

Excellent point. this is a REMAKE of Doom which had the EXACT SAME GAME PLAY.. pick up a goodie.. wall slides open to reveal monsters.. room after room, level after level. It was a maze done in 2.5D. Have we all forgotten that or something? :confused:

I'm enjoying the game and think I got exactly what I expected and wanted. A survivor horror shooter. A nice break from killing humans.. I love monsters and this game nails that.

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

this has probably been asked before.... does everybody take 40-60 secs to load the game & areas?

13. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

I'm enjoying the game. I remember running around shooting pinkies and imps in Doom. Rigging up a network boot disk and connecting two machines on the corporate novell network for a little night shift blasting. The game fits exactly where it should for me. It runs nicely on my PC, it reminds me of the old Doom, and is a good looking game.

I didn't get Doom 3 for a good story line. I got it to kill things from hell.

Of course, after just playing Kreed, Doom 3 looks like an Academy Award winner! :D

Will HL2 have a better story? Definitely. The first one had a great story line, until you had to go off into alien worlds. I enjoyed it while it was on Earth. Doom 1 - no story line. Run around - kill stuff. Fun. (insert Tim Allen grunts here). Hell, HL 1's story line was better than Doom 3's.....

14. No_Style

It takes awhile, yes. I hope they release a patch to reduce that somehow.

15. Raptor

Raptor New Member

Me thinks tho do protest to much :rolleyes: The game is great fun :) and it's exactly what we were promised. DOOM! Your disapointment in the game is noted, now can we please move on?

16. HardwareHeaven

we had until you brought it up again - smart eh?

this thread is turning into a right old bore now - with many people apparently confusing this game with their girlfriend and getting mightily defensive over anything negative. anyone else got anything constructive to add or at least on the subject before I close it?

17. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

No.......not really......I think it has all been said.:hmm: For those expecting a "remake".....all is well. For those of us expecting a challenge and something 'new" in AI or maybe something more than doing the same thing over and over for each level......it was a let down.

May we have the next game please?:D

18. Raptor

Raptor New Member

Wow. Where can I report your rudeness in this matter. I thought everyone's views were valued here.
    So your going to close this thread because *you* don't like the game? Shame on you :rolleyes:

19. No_Style

I'm going to play Breath of Fire 4 and Guilty Gear XX for PC. Classics and a new game I haven't played :) Doom 3 goes to my list of completed games.

20. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.....I didn't see any "rudeness".....but if you would like.....please feel free to report it to the following email.

zardon@driverheaven.net