OFFICAL DOOM3 Playing Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by germanjulian, Aug 2, 2004.

1. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

You can. But the game00.pk4 appears to be already decompressed cuz if you extract it it asks you overwrite. :lol:

I'm decompressing all these at once and it's gonna take at least 10 minutes. I hope this helps. But I don't mind..

There's a lot of .TGA images :eek:

Oh yeah, in the config file if you look for "seta image_cachemegs" you can change the value to 128 or something. Apparently it helps a bit. :)

Regarding the CD-Key, if you purchased the game, I suggest you hide the "doomkey" file or don't share your Doom 3 directory. It seems ID Software hasn't learned much from RTCW. :lol: They left it exposed and unencrypted. I hope they protect it by at least moving it into the registry like Infinity Ward did with the CODKey with a patch. ...But seriously though..The MP isn't even worth obtaining a CD Key for :(

P.S - I just finished uncompressing and a bunch of config files were also unloaded you can see how John Carmack plays his Doom 3 "johnc.cfg."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  2. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I've just been trying to get the "Extract here" menu items to show up for those file types (.pk4)- but I can't do it-- it still says "add to archive" etc... It doesn't matter though, I can still decompress them, I just can't get that other right click menu for winrar file types..

Oh well, I'll just do it the other way-

those files start out to be 1.44gb, how big do they all get afterward?

3. No_Style

My Doom 3 folder

It went up to 3.75 GB On Disk

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

mine went down to 0 - I beat it and deinstalled it :)

5. No_Style

Something is in the air... what is it? It's the stench of hatred from Zardon's can of hate. :lol: I know you had high hopes and it's a pity Doom 3 didn't live up to the promises the hype generated. :( I hope HL2 doesn't disappoint you either.. I'm enjoying it though :D

6. HardwareHeaven

I dont hate it ! it just sucks, it isnt worth hating !

sorry ill button up and butt out of this thread, enjoy guys :)

7. No_Style

Well I hope this game doesn't scare you away from other games which will use this engine :)

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Did you try it on the most difficult settings? I'm going to do that after I beat it and see if it changes the AI, or just the amount of ammo you get/ damage you take-- if that's the case, then this game does suck because of the AI, but I'm still gonna play through a few times..

I think it's still scarier than Silent hill-

9. No_Style

Scarier than SH2 for sure. SH3 is more scarier than Doom 3 though :)

10. HardwareHeaven

you want me to replay 10 hours (seemed like several weeks mind you) of corridor walking on hard level? I think not, id rather saw my legs off with it a blunt penknife than replay this. seriously. Undying is 20 times a better game in the same vein.

Ammo? you dont need ammo ! just get the chainsaw and take the whole game on, makes it slightly enjoyable. id actually like a sole "torch" mode to see if you can bludgeon all the enemies with it. we waited on this game for a long time, and you can beat it in 2 days? I didnt enjoy it at all, I kept playing it to see if it got any better ! when it was over I was pleased to be honest.

And whats with the guys fists? is he a mutant cyborg? disintegrating monsters with a few punches? bleh......its just as well they didnt give the game any AI, cause the monsters would turn and run the other way if they had any sense once they heard the chainsaw humming.

I know I sound really against it here, but it is nice graphically and the sound is wonderful but come on , under that pretty shell is a shallow hollow FPS with no depth whatsoever. After you get used to the initial shock factor of monsters jumping out at you it becomes extremely monotonous. Maybe its just me but 7 hours into the game it doesnt have quite have the same effect (in the same corridor - isnt it?)

Its a nice graphical and aural trip - kind of an interactive demo, but as a game its appalling.

11. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Well after reading through this thread I had to run out to my friends and take a look for myself. It ran fine on medium quality @ 1024x768 with a Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro and a P4 3.2 GHz CPU and a Gig of PC3200 DDR but i can say i got bored watching him after about 20 minutes of the same corridors over and over

12. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Oh and after that I have no plan to purchase what I expected to be game of the year for sure

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, it is definitely a graphic interactive demo-- I think Carmack is more concerned with the graphics than the gameplay which is unfortunate-

I said months ago he was too busy flying toy rockets to make a good game, and that's the only reason why it took so long..

You are right, the "shock affect" wears off after a while.. then it is meaningless monster killing..
    I think I appreciate it for an awesome game engine more than most- and imagine the game if this engine was used in another game that concentrates on things like AI and gameplay, that would be an awesome game.. I hope people use it like they did Q3, and really take it to new levels and make some great games out of it.. I'm still blown away by the sound and the graphics, the gameplay is weak though.

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That medium quality setting is only for the cut scenes I think-- Can someone check that?? I'm running it on high quality because the cut scenes were choppy on the highest setting.. I think all in-game settings are in the "advanced" settings... If everything there is checked yes (except Vsync)- then it is as high quality as you can get without messing with console cmds...

Set it to low quality and see what happens, it doesn't change anything in-game except resolution does it? I guess I'll just try myself to see what happens..

edit--
    It seems like it just changes the resolution.. All the advanced settings still remain the same..
    I wonder if it changes the texture resolution? It must..

15. No_Style

It changes something..

When I set it from Medium to High..there's more stuff on the screen and I get more noticeable "hitches" in the game.

As a game..it's alright. As a troubleshooting tool it's kick ass. I had to downclock due to artifacts :D I'm sure ATITool would have picked up the "hidden" artifacts, but Doom 3 just makes it visible immediately.

16. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

I haven't even played this game yet.........and after reading through this thread......I am already disappointed with it.......I think I will save my money for something else......I dont see a NEED to spend $55 for an "interactive demo"......:(

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Re: It changes something..

Hmm, when set it to high I got hitching with 512mb of system ram, and none with 1gig..

I will try ultra and see if I get hitching @ 1024 x 768.. Or if I see any difference.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Re: Re: It changes something..

Damn, ultra does raise the texture and detail quite a bit! it looks amazing and doesn't cause too much of a framerate drop- This game really doesn't even need AA and it still looks good- If I have to choose between the ultra setting and AA- I choose the ultra setting.. It looks great.. Man, I'm thinking NV6800GT is in my future.... :D It's the "Ti4200" of 2004

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well I did it, and guess what? The load times and pauses when doors open and whatnot are better- (I had to turn the quality up to ultra to see any at all)--

But guess what? DoomIII freezes no matter what now- I played 12+ hours yesterday with no problems whatsoever, no freezes or anything.. So I uninstalled the game and I'm going to reinstall it- and I'm not unpacking the pk4 files, it makes D3 freeze. it freezes up the whole machine too- I have to use the reset button to get out of it..

All I did was unpack them in the base folder and delete the pk4 files- then the freezing started..
    I have no idea why but it does.. I have to blame it on that since I changed nothing else.

After I reinstall the game I'm going to install the ATI beta drivers..

20. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

damnit.....i was gunna buy it, but having read this I think i'll pass

most games liek this can be saved by multi[player...but well, I have heard it supports onyl 4 players/....so that's no good

I never thought I'd say this....but:
    Bring On HL2!!!