OFFICAL DOOM3 Playing Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by germanjulian, Aug 2, 2004.

1. REGENERAT1ON

REGENERAT1ON NGO Crew

not bad.. finished the game (without cheats).. reminds me Half-Life 1
    really easy.. (chainsaw heh) and kinda boring (hours in same corridors)
    the 3d remake of the old Doom I&II monsters is great (if you still remember)
    and yes i do hate these fucking flying fireheads.. really pissed me off..
    and these half baby half fly.. they REALLY PISSED ME OFF

Sound:7
    Graphics:8
    Gameplay:5
    Multiplayer:0

as i said.. ill wait for HL2/CS:S

2. ShRapNeR

ShRapNeR New Member

REMOVED - SPOILER SHOTS

3. edperks

edperks Life is Good

Man I just got the game around 9:30 p.m. and I think its awesome so far. Been playing around 1 1/2 hours the graphics and sound are just awesome. Maybe it will become boring but for now its great and just what I expected.

4. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

Ok SO I'm stuck at this plasma storage place anyone got the key? Just had to replace the coolant tube on a reactor. Here's a screenie.

REMOVED

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Come on guys, don't post pics from the game looking for help or showing it off. Your spoiling the game for those that haven't gotten to that point yet.

6. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Yeah.

Z has removed it once already. As for missing stuff like passwords/keys/codes... just backtrack and look around for stuff to pick up. They glow red and it's hard to miss.

7. Tipstaff

I mentioned using the autoexec.cfg file in my early posts, and I've come across something interesting.

From what I can tell the Doom3 engine will import some commands/settings that you have in a seperate config file into its doomconfig.cfg file. I had added com_showfps 1 to my autoexec.cfg file to do some testing. This, of course, adds the fps counter ingame. Now, after doing my testing I removed that switch from the autoexec.cfg file, and started Doom 3 up again. What did I find? The fps counter was running again. When I looked in the doomconfig.cfg file, sure enough, com_showfps was set to 1. The fact that the game engine is doing this explains why some people, well, people like me that are using an autoexec.cfg file, are having conflicting performance issues when we try to fool around with the seta_imageCache settings. Even if you remove the switch in the file the Doom 3 engine as already incorporated it into its doomconfig.cfg file. The only way I've found to reset this is to either reset the defaults ingame, manually change that setting in the doomconfig.cfg file, or delete the doomconfig.cfg file which will make the game recreate it.

I'll update you guys as I go. I'm determined to get every ounce of fps outta this sucka. OH, I've also seen an autoexec.cfg file floating around that says something like fpsconfig (200fps!!). Go ahead and use it. It turns off everything, and you'd swear you were playing GLQuake. Then, try deleting the file, and starting Doom 3 up again. Then you'll really get what I'm saying in the above paragraph ;)

8. No_Style

Hmm..

Do you know anything about 'g_varmegs' command? I found it in johnc.cfg (Which I found after extracting the .pk4 files) I currently have it set at 96. Similar to "com_hunkmegs"?

If you want mouse smoothing off, I believe the command is m_smooth "0".
    If you want to change the field of view, the command is 'g_fov' (I changed it to 95, looks a lil better to me than at 90)

I've always used the autoexec.cfg file to auto execute script files like "names" and stuff for MP games like RTCW, other wise I just master script file. I'm not surprised that settings become changed if the command already exists within the doomconfig.cfg.. but if you try to do commands which are not in the script already, I believe they won't be included.

P.S - I really like how similar this is to Q3 Engine. Tweaking it for RTCW2 will rock!

9. Tipstaff

I remember there being one called r_varmegs. Default for this used to be 92. From what I remember this helped out with the texture loading. The tweak used to be that you would set it to 1/2 your system ram. Maybe they renamed it to g_varmegs?

Oh, No_Style, I got one for ya. Might get a kick out of it. Put this line into your autoexec.cfg file:

seta pm_thirdperson 1

10. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

xfdsgs

Enemy AI:

Okay, there's not much space to run around in...there's a little cover, but mostly enemies are thrown in there to scare you and be creepy. Now, the posessed marines are a different story- they take cover, fire guns around corners...strafe out of the way, duck and roll to new cover, and work in syncronized teams (when there is more than one of course). By syncronized I mean one peeks around a corner and sprays your way...then the firing stops so you proceed to move, but then his friend to your left shoots at you! Ack!

The Cacodemons are REALLY fun to fight...they float around, ram you, dodge your attacks, launch frickin' cool balls of energy at you, and run away if they get too damaged.

Lost souls are also kinda neat, vicious, but neat. I hate it when they swarm me and keep darting around to avoid my fire.

Imps...yumm...one of my favorite enemies. Launch fire at you from a distance, then when you start firing, leap at you claws tearing- and they don't let up until they vaporize.

The zombies are exactly how they should be: mindless, spooky, and hilarious to blast in the head with a shotgun.

The bosses are like every other boss in FPS...so what? Would you rather have it Ninja Gaiden style where you have to figure out the exact one perfect way to kill a boss, be forced to get the timing exactly right, and die and reload a million times to get past them? Blah, I like frantic gunfights where I have to avoid things whilst shooting others, whilst being cognicent of my ever dwindling chaingun ammo.

Graphics:

I don't need to say anything about this.

Sounds:

Excellent work, reminds me of the masterpiece that was System Shock 2. I can't even begin to explain how creepy the voices are...yay!

Immersion:

Yeah, it's immersive alright.

Repetition:

You wasted your money if you thought this game was going to be anything but a horror-survival game. It's meant to scare you, keep you twitchy, adrenaline pumping...it's meant to be visceral, not brilliant. If you want tactics, play Ghost Recon...if you want speed, play Painkiller...if you want to sneak around and be stealthy, play Thief 3. But! If you want to become immersed in a bloody, spooky fight against the carnage unleashed from Hell...well, you know what to do.

The Chainsaw:

You go through the game worried for your wellbeing...you could be slaughtered any minute, your gun might reload at the wrong time, you might get jumped...guys freaking lash out behind you with wrenches and shotguns....but then you get the chainsaw. When I acquired it, I smiled just like the doom marine smiled in the original Doom...a huge grin because I knew what was coming...CHAINSAW RAMPAGE. I didn't fear anything I came across: spooky voices chanting with colors flashing, darkness, imps surround me and light up the room with blood tinted flame...I whip out the chainsaw and unleash on 'em all. I continue to leave 'er running, barreling my way past anything...not being scared anymore, I am now a force to be reckoned with! Until a cacodemon...ack, flying dudes! Then marines! Then more imps! Teleporting demon dudes!

I think you get my drift, to me...this game is simply the BEST singleplayer experience I've ever had since surface tension in Half-Life.

Thank you Doom 3, for completely and utterly justifying the money I've spent on this computer.

11. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Very well said Reno :)

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Re: xfdsgs

Umm, ever play FarCry?

Yeah this game is great- (I think so anyway)- But FarCry is a better single player experience because of the AI- Of course it isn't as polished, and not really in the same category, but if I had to lump together all SP experiences, Farcy beats D3.. I haven't finished D3 yet, I'm a few minuted into hell, so I imagine I'm close...

13. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

oh oh I can smell a fight coming on.

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I ran ultra @ 10x7 the whole game with 2x AA- you should try 10x7 and see if it's smooth- it should be.

I tried just "High" with 2 x AA (performance mode in ATI c/p) and that looked pretty good too.

Actually the best for me was Everything on in advanced settings accept Vsync, 2xAA in ATI c/p, 4xAF in ATI c/p, Vsync always off in ATI c/p and overall setting to high (one below the max of ultra)...

W/ these settings it ran smooth and looked amazing.. 9700pro OC'd to 350/315, any higher and I saw dots sometimes.... One full gig of ram is a must to run this game w/o hitching, even then you see some one in a great while.. With 512mb hitching is horrible...

15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Why? I love D3 so far (I'm in hell and it's probably almost over now) - but as far as SP FPS experiences go, FarCry wins hands down because of the great AI and wide open spaces.. Not many people would disagree.... Keep in mind he lumped together ALL SP games....

The AI in D3 sucks so bad that it takes the game off it's pedestal. If it had great AI, less claustrophobic maps, AND still brought everything else to the table that it does, it would win... But it didn't, so it doesn't..

16. Forbidden Donut

Forbidden Donut New Member

I'm still messing around with it to get the best balance of speed and IQ, but I'll certainly try some of your suggestions. I'm sure if anything helped me out it was the 4.9 betas and not the cachemegs thing. That and forcing a lower amount of AF in the .cfg file.

Forbidden Donut

17. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I just started it last night for about 20 minutes, initial impressions are that its very atmospheric, makes you a bit jumpy (playing in the dark with headphones!!) but the AI really does suck a bit...the one flaw in an otherwise enjoyable experience!

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I tried about 35 different combos of settings. It takes a little bit to get it perfect, but after a while the answer is clear for whatever system you have.

I even tried Vsync for a long time, looked great but even with triple buffering it wasn't worth the extra frames that got dropped... Not until I get a first class V card will I play with V-sync.

Try to keep shadows on no matter what though, they add allot to the game.. Going from Ultra to just "high" is worth the extra frames too- Ultra looks great, but so does high, and you get to add more AA and AF..

Messing around with the brightness (in game) makes a huge difference in texture quality especially with the flashlight on... I found that setting if anywhere above default washes out textures no matter what, something to watch out for. Setting it lower and raising your brightness on the monitor gives a more realistic result.

The cachemegs does nothing for me, setting aperture to anything higher than 128 in BIOS did nothing for me...

Of course every system is different.. ;)

19. No_Style

Re: Re: xfdsgs

I've played Far Cry, but it wasn't as fun as this in terms of in your face action. I spent a lot of time in Far Cry pecking people off with my sniper rifle or M4. :lol: It had "in your face action", but not like Doom 3. And I guess that's what I'm looking for. Far Cry was great in it's own way and so is Doom 3. I like them both. I haven't finished Doom 3 yet myself. I haven't encountered bugs in Doom 3, but the bugs in Far Cry really turned me off when playing that game. I mean there were a lot of obvious bugs, especially when people were sliding down ropes from helicopters and I was picking them off.

My "balanced" settings are 1024x768 with Medium and everything else on except AA. There's way too much tearing without V-Sync :(
    Like I mentioned before, I get noticeable drops with "High" quality and some hitching even with my 1 GB of RAM. I might change AGP apecture from 64 to 128 now.

20. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

ssvs

Yeah, I beat the crap out of that game. And I'm sorry, but to ME, AI doesn't make or break a game. And didn't you see my mention of the AI and the reason why it fit the game perfectly? Or did you just not read my entire post?

FarCry was just a very pretty, mindless, FPS. I love that game, bought it the first day it came out and beat it three times. I love the graphics, the fights, the guns...but I haven't had so much visceral FUN in a game since System Shock 2. FarCry was fun for the action, Doom 3 though...it's the entire package: visceral thrills, spooky as shit sounds and creatures, excellent scripted sequences (one thing FarCry SUCKED at), an immersive environment...and I LOVE those claustrophobic, pitch black environments that you have to frantically run through with your flashlight.

IMHO the praise over FarCry is waaaaay overblown. Heck, the stellar AI was broken most of the time...especially indoors. And yeah, I too picked off a lot of guys with the M4, but the stand up fights were just fun action...no real substance beside that, no story to get into, no spooky environments, just a guy in a jungle complex shooting Trigens and soldiers in the face with a shotgun.

Want to know my rank of favorite First person games? (I know you don't, but maybe you'll see where I'm coming from then)

Half-Life
    System Shock 2
    Doom 3
    Deus Ex
    Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy
    Thief 3
    Far Cry
    Hitman 2
    Unreal and Unreal Tournament (for different reasons, of course)
    Doom, Doom 2, Final doom (using Doomsday with the HQ mods...yum)
    Painkiller
    Quake
    Serious Sam

various other games...

I like clever, immersive FPSs more than I do fast paced, awesome action ones. And yes, Half-Life had awesome action, but was extremely immersive.

So yeah, there ya go. Doom 3 is awesome, and no amount of argument will dissuade me from this.