Official Catalyst 7.3 drivers out for XP and Vista rate them here

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Spyre, Mar 28, 2007.

?

Rate the drivers this month please

1. 10 - Superdooper drivers dude

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. 6

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. 5

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. 2

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. 1 - Badder than a very bad thing from badville

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. shanok

shanok New Member

Interesting, you and I have the same CPU and I do believe my motherboard is based off of the 975 chipset.

edit-scratch that, it's a 965 Express according to Dell on the chipset.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I think I'll wait until the dust settles before trying these. That's because I'm using an X1950 Pro card and it seems to be the one with the most issues at present. (Or am I reading things wrong?)

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i really wish my intel rig would stablize.... it's starting to irritate the hell outa me.

every other boot seems to instantly cause a BSOD after the catalyst drivers have been installed (7.1/7.2/7.3)

Although i'm willing to bet the cards being used at to blame, Fireing up the GPU client for foldering just now still has the fairly nasty scream of some frequency noise. The sound is definitely coming from both video cards.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

seems to work well here.

x1300
    x800xl
    x700
    x200 (IGP)
    9800pro

all cards working fine under Windows Vista 32bit

My x1900 cards appears to be working fine when the machine doesn't BSOD

5. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

I know its a mystery. If it wasnt for a clean install that you did I would blame the system, but this has me perplexed. If you roll back to Cat 7.2 no problems right?

6. Dyre Straits

Terry, what kind of server do you guys have??? Man, I downloaded the entire 28+ file in under 12 SECONDS!! No kidding. Pleased as punch, I am. :)

I guess I'll go ahead and see what's up with that 'stupid little toy' that ATI developed. ;) :)

7. MissileMan

MissileMan New Member

I just did a remove, driver cleaner, reboot. Installed 7.2 without a hitch. Rebooted and enabled CrossFire. All is fine with 7.2.

It is related to the avivo streaming device because I had 7.3 working once. Drivers only. Did not have the CrossFire tab. Both video cards were loaded and working. Had the streaming device as a blam. Removed it and did a hardware search. It found it and started loading drivers and I got an instant BSOD. Several reboots got BSOD before desktop. Had to safe mode remove the drivers to get back in.

The win32k.sys BSOD appears to be DEP related. It says my system was halted for it's protection. Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds like a DEP shutdown, but then again I haven't had too many BSOD with Vista to know the difference.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  8. jpinard

jpinard New Member

I might have missed it in the readme, but does this release fix the problems with CCC crashing all the time (in XP)?

Also, Terry - has anyone looked into the issues with Gal Civ 2 Dark Avatar and X1000 cards? It's really crash-happy. My system specs are in my sig. Thanks!

9. willardjuice

willardjuice New Member

I also get a BSOD with these drivers any time I try to start up Vista x64. In device manager I get this error message on my slave card (X1900XT, the X1950CF works fine).

I tried reinstalling three times to no avail, back to 7.2. :tears:

10. keeler

keeler New Member

I 'm getting the BSOD and flag on WIN32K.SYS as well on Vista Ultimate 32. Tried running install as Admin, waxed everything and ran DC pro with nojoy. Ended up doin a system restore to get back to 7.2.

I do have DEP and UAC turned on. I have to get ready for work and don't have time to try this, but if one of ya that have the same issue has time; try to drill down to this WIN32K.SYS module, and run him as Admin to see if that works..

Rick

11. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

Great drivers, keep up that fantastic work.

12. Dyre Straits

Well, I've updated to 7.3 with the CCC and have had no system-related problems as of yet.

I fired up Oblivion: Shivering Isles and the game plays at least a nicely with this set as with the NGO and/or Omega 7.2 versions.

The only thing, so far, that's an 'issue' is that I can't select any resolution over 1024x768 for my CRT monitor as long as the TV OUT is enabled. While this may be by design, I'm not sure, it's something I was able previously to work around by Disabling DDC in the driver options. That's not working with these drivers. Once I turned off TV OUT, I was able to select any resolution I wanted in the game.

I'm also wondering why the AVIVO Video isn't animated any longer in CCC? Is it to cut back the overall download file size and overhead? If so, can there be an option to download a separate file to enable it? Colors aren't the only thing to consider with AVIVO, are they? What about video performance?

13. fdisker

fdisker New Member

Hey all ... new here to this forum. I'd also like to report a bluescreen with Cats7.3. I believe Shanok reported it first. Same thing happened to me and it looks like we're using just about the same hardware.

Intel BadAxe2 - latest bios, all defaults
    Intel e6600 - not overclocked
    x1950pro
    Raptor 74gig
    2gig XMS memory
    ATI Theater 650
    Vbox Cats Eye 150

Completely clean install of Vista Ultimate with only the Intel INF update applied for my chipset. Cats 7.3 installed first ... install went fine. Bluescreen on first reboot in the same module others are reporting.

Hope this helps.

14. willardjuice

willardjuice New Member

Well after installing 7.3's for the fourth time, it took. Everything is currently working fine.

15. davidhye

davidhye New Member

Control Paner -> System

16. thecaretaker

thecaretaker New Member

Well, I've tested around 100 demoscene demos tonight. I get a lot with the same error message. I get:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Click OK to terminate the application

Then Vista says it's trying to find a solution to the problem, but it doesn't so I just click cancel.

Get this with about 30% of my demos. Can't tell if these are OpenGL or D3D demos. But maybe this means something to somebody on the beta team.

Only another 400 demos to test, but I'm bushed and they will have to wait for another day. Generally, seems around 60% of my 3D demos actually work under Vista (although some are a bit jurky). A few have frozen Vista after they failed to run correctly. But most that do fail have that error above! Not seen a BSOD on Vista yet!

I was really expecting to see a great improvement in 7.3 over 7.2 but I'm having a job to see any difference at all.

My other thought is many of my demos are 1998-2004 kind of age. This is old code, no fancy pixel shaders or card specific effects. It's bog standard DirectX or OpenGL code. I wonder what all these demos are trying to do to bring up the same error? It must be something common/frequently used written in the demo code.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate the majority of people use their cards for gaming, but spare a thought for us demoscene lovers! :(

17. BigPlaya

BigPlaya New Member

First time poster.
    C2D E6600
    P5W DH
    2 X 1 GB Corsair RAM
    X1950XTX 512 MB
    Xi-Fi Xtrememusic
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

The 7.2 drivers ran well on this system, but I am getting the same BSOD after restart that others are reporting with the 7.3s. I get to the desktop after the system reboots itself after the BSOD, but a subsequent restart results in another BSOD. Rolled back to 7.2 and all is well again.

18. Dwarden

Dwarden New Member

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=68;t=58542

exits in Catalyst 6.8 till 7.3

19. Lemonzest

Lemonzest New Member

@Catalyst Maker

Particles in Quake2 have gone from being circles (correct) to squares!! (incorrect)

20. slyder314

slyder314 New Member

Hi!!I don't know if this can help but i have also BSOD with Vista Ultimate,P5W DH Deluxe(chipset 975)and fresh install of Catalyst 7.3.It seem to be a "recurent" problem with Vista/Cat 7.3 ans Intel 975.Some guy's on different forum report that kind of issue with similar configuration.Thank's for your fgood work Terry!! :)

It's my first post and i see im a member here since.......... April 2003,...lol

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007