Official Crysis Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Vikingod, Oct 26, 2007.

1. onefistedboxer

onefistedboxer New Member

Does anyone else find stuttering in Crysis whilst the fps is still high?

On dx9 very high I can get 20-30fps and 30-40 on a small overclock - Until the last level.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

the game shouldn't stutter at higher framerates? that's odd. the last level is supposed basically destroy your computer. I get maybe 1-5fps on the last one lol

3. onefistedboxer

onefistedboxer New Member

After some intensive research i found that some people have had stuttering due to their sound cards. The problem doesn't really correlate with the quality of the sound card, so it may be something which is patchable.

The good news: Setting sound quality to low gives me no stuttering and i can enjoy my 30fps!!!

4. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Crysis is a sweet game just purchased it but I think i will have to upgrade my graphics card B 4 i can play it. Does any 1 know what the best mid range card that runs crysis is? preferably ATI card.

5. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

why not go with an nvidia card? faster and cheaper. the only option that would run that game decently is a 2900 or 3800 series card. Id rather go with a 8800gt

6. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Ok cool i will consider the 8800gt. Heard that ATI is more reliable thats all. Thanks

Calliers likes this.
  7. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

both are reliable, just nvidia drivers are better nowadays. if this was the time of the 9700/9800 cards, id say ATI. Crysis rapes pretty much anything but a 8800gtx sli + intel core 2 quad extreme system....

8. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

What about a quad fired plus AMD Phenom FX system?

Tried the sound thing and it works. :)

9. RSOblivion

RSOblivion New Member

Got into Crysis the other week and am left with mixed feelings.

First I love the graphics and the gameplay on all levels up to Core. Core and onwards well they can just be forgotten as bad dreams. They are all linear, with no freedom to choose what you want to do. Before that though the game is wonderful.

Running at 20-30fps on High settings with custom tweaks to a few things. So performance isn't so bad. Only get stuttering on sections where Ice and normal landscape mix. (Running a Phenom 9850BE, 9600GT, 4GB RAM and 600GB RAID 0 on a M3A32 Asus mobo)

After completing the rather short game on Delta first pass I went back and ran it again using the Natural mod. It was so much more intense than the first time through. The night was so dark you had to use NV to see the enemy. Movement was slower due to having to check about you more often and the visuals for things like Contact and other spectacular scenery were so much better than the standard version. For example the level Recovery where the second part is to follow a river to meet Prophet, instead of a yellow tinge to everything it was crystal clear and stunningly beautiful where before it felt heavy and dull. Can't really say anything other than I totally recomend this to everyone.

However that was still too easy and after completing it again I have installed the Realism mod v1.002, which is still WIP. Its very good, gives assumed names to guns and ammo and generally makes you feel more involved in the game. The usage of the different suit functions are more specific, but you still tend to be in either stealth or armour modes. Though Strength now steadies scoped shooting nicely and speed is very useful for traversing sections with no enemies :)
    Only problem I found is that I was expecting it to be harder, but I have found it easier. Oddly enough the guy who made it thinks its harder as do most who have tested it, but then I play a fair bit of CoD4 and that is a lot faster than Crysis and uses much more tactics (when playing online against people) so to compare the AI is a little unfair. The best thing about it though is the guns feel more realistic, though I miss the single shot kills with the pistol chances are you don't get them cos bullet deviation has been increased on the pistol. The SCAR is now a killing machine, as well as the Shotty which was pretty much useless before. The SMG is great too, but can no longer snipe very well ;)
    All in all it makes the game play more realistically, but if you are good then using grenades and the right combo of guns + a good dose of skill and you'll smash any combat section. The lower ammo caps may catch you unawares if you decide to do Core with it. I know I went through all my ammo in Core last time and even though I loved it (felt a bit like reliving Aliens) I found it something I would only do once.

All in all so much missed potential in this game, but still great for at least the first 2/3rds.

10. Calliers

This game is so easy even my little sister finished it on hard. My little brother who is 21 and a worse gamer than my little sister finished the boss on the last stage on delta through a glitch with all the mods installed btw where he blew one of the guns and the whole thing went down, its just crazy how easy the game is. I think it was a little bit harder in its original form.

11. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

Crysis was a very good shooter, better in the ones I have seen in the last while, As good as HL2 was reviewed, I fell asleep and bored by it. Same with the first. I don't know why. Halo 1 was repititive circles but Crysis feels like a much more interesting version of Halo sometimes. This game could easily be ported to consoles as its interface is not too complex.

12. Calliers

Yeah, you're right, Doom 3, HL2, HL1 and Halo 1 were all boring, Crysis was good but too easy and too short, and it also felt too much like Far Cry all over again, otherwise it was a good game and an a brilliant fps if we were to compare it to all the fps' coming out now. HL2 for me was too orange, and the colors just didn't click for me for some reason. Bioshock is probably the best fps out right now but the retro vibe and weapons are not something I particularly enjoy.

And funny thing is the pc was mainly known for its prowess in having good shoot em ups and strategy games, two areas which are really lacking the former glory of old that they once had firmly in hand, and here we thought it was easy to make an fps and/or strategy game for the pc.

Edit: I'd just like to add that Prey was also a good recent fps on the pc, and most of these games like Doom 3 and Halo 1, even Prey, were pretty fun when played in multiplayer rather than in single palyer especially at a lan where you're all in close proximity lol.