Official Crysis Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Vikingod, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I get the impression that that video was made from an early beta version of the game. ;)

I just got the game late this afternoon and the enemy AI -- so far -- has done quite a decent job of tracking me down and responding pretty quickly as soon as I've been spotted.

Maybe the difficulty setting makes some difference?? I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm rather enjoying the game. I decided to put off playing it until I got the 8800GT, and I'm glad I did. Everything is on High, with 16xQAA, running in 1280x1024, and it runs silky smooth. I've tried the Ultra High to High hack, but I'm afraid the settings are just too much for my system.

As for the AI, funny thing is it's the same as the PC version of FarCry, with some of the AI features they touted it had, but didn't. I say "some", because it still can be stupid, but at least now enemies call for reinforcements, use suppression fire, flank you, and use cover effectively.... most of the time that is. The rest of the time they are just as stupid as lamp post.

I do have one question though: why is it that while cloaked helicopters can sorta see you? I mean, it's like they have a sixth sense or something. I'm cloaked, I move across an area into an enclosed building, decloak to recharge, but damnit to hell, the chopper has followed me the entire way. Sure enough it begins to pummel the building with rockets, and I've gotta get outta there tout sweet. The same, however, cannot be said for most bush/tree/rock cover. It can't see me through that most of the time, but buildings? Makes things interesting, that's for sure.

3. Dyre Straits

I haven't gotten that far yet, but, do you suppose the choppers have infrared detection devices? But, if they do, why not some of them on the ground, too, right?

Don't really know the answer to the question as you can probably tell. ;)

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

no dyre, its not from an alpha build. stupid crap like that showed up for me way too often, and i was playing on Delta. decloak 2 feet to the left of the enemy, and they cant see you... hell, decloak right infront of them and maybe 2/3rds of the time theyll see you.

their targeting skills arent that great either. 9/10 times i shoot them in the chest with a silenced weapon, and they turn around and start looking around behind them.

the game looks nice, but thats about the end of it. theres just so many damn problems, glitches, and stupid shit that i started hating every moment of the game.

5. Dark Lord

theres a spot with the tanks, and the same thing happens. im cloaked and behind the wall, yet the damn tanks machine gun is shooting at the wall exactly where i am on the other side. if i move one way or another, the stream of bullets follows.

also, incase you missed it in a previous post, this is your average enemies AI. YouTube - Crysis AI, or lack there of

6. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

I have found the AI to be very erratic so far, most of the time it is highly clever, flanking me, surrounding me and generally acting like people would if they saw an intruder in a dense forest, but sometimes they are dim as a black hole, you can walk right up to them (Not stealthily or anything), wait a few minutes, get a cup of coffee, and the bugger still wont notice, you then kill him, making a rather large argh as he dies, and a bloke not 5 yards away doesn't even so much as blink, yikes.

Don't get me wrong, Crysis has been much fun for me so far, but it is far from perfect, the guns feel pathetically weak and inaccurate, even when prone, using the reflex sights is a game of chance, sometimes putting a guy in the red dot ends in a 1 shot headshot, others you can put a full clip at his head and none of them hit, the shotgun is deadly at 1 yard range, but has no damage scaling, once you get past 5 yards away, forget about it, you run out of ammo for your SCAR within 5 minutes, and vehicles blow up before you can say "enemy incoming"!

All in all, this is a repeat of Far Cry in my books, great graphical engine, clever non-linearity, but the game isn't exactly up to the standards of say....the Half Life games, a shame too.

7. Dyre Straits

***SPOILER*** (Maybe ??)

I'm past the area where you deal with two tanks at the hostage site. I didn't actually get the impression that they were 'following' my movements. Rather, it was more like if I'd been in that tank, I'd have been shooting sort of randomly at someone I had a good hunch was on the other side of that wall. I even made the trek down the stairs a couple of times because I hadn't actually found the right 'ammo' I needed to take them out.

BUT, I do have to admit that I'm beginning to see some erratic behavior among the enemies' reactions that don't add up to a 'logical' behavior. I'm agreeing that the AI could be tweaked for a better 'realistic' experience than what's happening.

EDIT: RE: Those choppers mentioned before. If these are the ones that are hovering over the camp where you get the intel telling where the excavation site is, I had no real trouble with them. As long as I kept under the heavy canopy and used stealth to go back and forth around the camp as well.

The one big problem I had was getting that tower down. Killed myself trying to ram the Jeep into it. LOL!

***END SPOILER***

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  8. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I can finally play this game and enjoy it. Sadly, the only way to do this is to play the game in XP x64.

Some won't believe it (I didnt take benchmarks), but I get to play the game on high settings (except for textures, shadows, object details, and volumetic effects on medium), 1280*1024. The thing doesn't drop below 30fps, except rarely when there are a lot of guys on the screen, and even then I don't notice it. This compares to 20 fps on medium settings at 11xx*9xx on Vista 32-bit.

It the difference between an ugly, unplayable, dissappointment, and one of the best games I've played i years. I'm really pleased.

The only thing I can think is that my system is just on the edge where the extra requirements of Vista really hamper performance. Might be something people with similar systems might want to give a shot. ITs worth the time setting up a dual boot.

9. CompressorX

CompressorX New Member

Has anyone tried that enhancer for xp that should let you have all the effects from dx10 ?

I found it on sharethefiles.. i dont know if its allowed for me to post the link to the thread so i wont.

I didnt try it coz i dont think my X1950PRO can have those effects dx10 or not. :)

10. Dark Lord

i tried it both in the demo and in the final game. it appears to work.

its not full DX10 though, atleast not on dx9 cards. cant say if it would work fully on a dx10 card or not.

11. FDM80

FDM80 New Member

12. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

(Spoiler Maybe)

Just started playing Crysis. I just got to the spot called Relic Crysis. I'm just playing at Normal difficulty, yet this game seems hard as a SOB! I have to play at medium settings with hightest antialiasing, but it still looks very good.

Just got to the part where an alien took the boss! If that thing that took the boss is an alien, it looks like one of the bots from Star Wars.

Nice graphics,, but the game doesnt seem all that great so far. I hope it gets better.

I have TimeShift, but havent started playing it yet. Excitement and action packed wise, which game is better, Crysis or TimeShift?

13. Dyre Straits

I know nothing about TimeShift. But, if it's action and intensity you want, go grab Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. ;)

14. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hehe I already finished COD 4, It's a good one. This Crysis is pissing me off! LOL It's hard for me, man. But it is getting better and better!:)

EDIT:

Wow man this game is getting better and better big time!! It may be as good as all the hype I've been reading! I've been playing for hours, and I'm sure I'm not even half way through yet. I mean man, this may be the best game ever made, wow!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  15. Dyre Straits

Hey, Thomas! Just remember, Cloak is Your Friend.... ;)

[​IMG]

16. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

wow.. that looks like ass.

17. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Hmm, I have to say, I second that ^^.

18. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Thats Crysis on an HD2600, that lil baby is truckin along best it can.

19. Dyre Straits

Keep in mind that Imageshack auto reduces my 1280x1024 image to 800x600. Not much I can do about that. ;)

20. Dark Lord

just unclick the resize image box.