Official Grand Theft Auto V thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Tipstaff, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

And here. we. go.

Mod: can some change the name of this thread to the above title? Didn't notice it was wrong until after I made the 2nd post.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Tipstaff

Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc

Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

3. Tipstaff

Started a new thread so this wouldn't get lost.

Oh, and there are 3 updates to that article that I didn't post, btw. The first one explains why there is a performance hit (the game streams textures from the "Play" disc, and there is a performance hit when you install that disc to the hard drive as the game now has to load not just the game, but the textures from the same hard drive creating some severe pop-in), the second one shows a video of the issue, and the third one is of a work around by installing the "Play" disc to a 16GB USB drive instead of the internal drive (that way it's loading from 2 fast but separate devices).

4. Tipstaff

Grand Theft Auto: iFruit

This is the companion app for GTAV. Currently only for the iOS, but stay tuned as Rockstar has plans to bring it over to Android, WM8, Playstation Mobile, and PS Vita.

There are 2 parts to this app: a car customizer, and a virtual pet type game called "Chop the Dog". I'll let Rockstar handle the description:

Chop the Dog
    Depth of content, high production values, defecation. It’s the app that has it all. Because who doesn’t love tending to a virtual pet? Chop is Franklin’s canine sidekick in Grand Theft Auto V. Look after him well in the Chop the Dog app and you will reap the benefits when playing as Franklin in Grand Theft Auto V. Pet him, feed and water him, play fetch and tug-of-war, teach him tricks. Too much or too little of an activity, however, will cause Chop to become unhappy, and nobody likes an unhappy Rottweiler. Take Chop on walks to give him a chance to work off last night’s steak and Piswasser and to mark his turf in the hood - defending his ladies, fending off gang members and even protecting the beach babes of Los Santos from unsightly tan lines by removing their bikinis.

Edit: Just a note, I don't have the game yet (get it later today), so I assume the issue I'm having logging into Social Club through the app is due to my not having linked the game to the account yet. If anyone here is having the same issue let me know. I'll also post back later when I get my copy.

5. Tipstaff

Grand Theft Auto V: The Manual

Grand Theft Auto V: The Manual

Official offline manual for GTAV. Comes in 2 flavours: iOS, and PC.

6. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tipstaff, didn't know about iFruit :)

7. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

OFFTopic:

GTA has never been one of my type of games so there is nothing to add.. But as Tipstaff has posted the eurogamer here, I have opted to post it on HH's front page also..

Just feel it's worthy to maximise the info as much as possible.

Nice long line of people with nothing better to do with there lives, I can never understand it when someone cues up for hours just for a video game.. :uhoh:

[​IMG]

And im going too add this here instead of gaming news.

Steam: New DLC Available - Saints Row IV - GAT V Pack, Free Today Only!

The GAT V Pack, all new content for Saints Row IV is Now Available on Steam and is absolutely free today only*!

It's the moment every gamer has been waiting for: GAT V is here! Dress up as star-crossed lovers Gat and Aisha and strap on a heavy machine gun and a combat knife launcher for the ultimate Saints Row experience.

*Offer ends September 18th at 12:01AM Pacific Time

[​IMG]

8. craig5320

There were hundreds queuing when I went down at midnight last night, Was home by 12.20am, Did I mention I knew the guy on the counter and he'd left my copy at customer services with my name, booyah :D

9. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

never been a fan at all, so all this hype is gonna completely pass me by
    might ignore all game related stuffs for a few weeks

still mostly developed in Scotland this btw :)

10. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Blasphemy!!!! Burn this man at the stake!!!!

11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I saw several bus stop ads today for the game while taking a ride. Such things just never happen around here so I was just glad to see any game advert up. Even if I'm likely gonna have to wait like a year to play it. :p

By Youtube players reports it seems great. I've never seen a GTA game run so smoothly on a PC. Then again, maybe this version is also locked at 30 fps on the consoles(can't tell through Youtube). Locking the PC games to 30 avoided a number of graphics engine problems in the past.

How cool wouldn't it be if the XBoxOne and PC versions could play multiplayer together? Shouldn't be anything technical in the way of that anyhow.

12. Tipstaff

LOL! This one made me laugh. I mean, why the hell would anyone THINK to try this? I'm just going to rip off IGN for this one:

[​IMG]
    There are secret messages on the Special Edition version of the paper pack-in GTA 5 map (edit: should be in the Collectors Edition too - Tip). The messages can be seen only with a UV (black) light. [2]

The lengthiest message reads:

T.P.E - Trevor Philips Enterprises. Weaponry, narcotics, intimidation and casual wear. Lago Zan Cudo. Great Ocean, Highway north, through north Chumash, 0.5 miles past Raton Canyon. When guard rail ends, follow the dirt road down the docks. Bring $500,000 cash.

Additional messages can be found on other parts of the map referencing aliens and the Buzzer and Lazer aircraft.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Visiting the Location indicated by the secret message takes the player to a remote dock available for sale. The Minisub is stored there, and offshore a number of Nuclear Waste barrels may be gathered for cash.

Visiting the Location indicated by the flying saucer reveals an extremely well concealed Spaceship Part.

13. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

So many GTA V boxes everywhere... sooo tempting... do i buy? do i buy? do i buy? where is that damn PC version...

You have the right not to like that type of game, but, it has nothing to do with nothing to do with our lives. I say "our" because even though i didn't stand in line, i consider myself in their group, a gamer.
    Can we have a hobby/passion without being called virgins? Or accused of living in our parents basements? Or being told to 'get a life'?
    What about the fat beer belly jocks who go shirtless and paint themselves in the color of their football team and act like monkeys who just escaped from the local zoo? They have nothing better to do? Geeks stand in line for games, nerds stand in line for iphones, girlies stand in line for one direction, trekkies stand in line for movies, shopaholics stand in line for black friday, etc...

GTA V =/= just a video game :)

14. Calliers

I'm beginning to reconsider whether I should get GTA V for my PS3 or wait until the PC version comes out.

15. Tipstaff

So many issues with iFruit right now it's peeving me off. Can't get past the log-in screen. Apparently it's an issue with Social Club with either their servers being punished, or some other hardware issue.

Otherwise, this game is sick. It's so freaking huge. When you start the game a lot of the map is covered in a shoud, so I spent nearly an hour driving all over the place to open the map up, and all I got done was 1/3 the map. It's insane.

16. craig5320

Yea, iFruit is annoying too, I got in their yesterday for alittle while but then it went again, now it's saying it can't retrieve linked account info, but previously it was telling me the password was wrong so I messed about resetting it grrrr... awesome game tho.

17. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I am a gamer and at the age of 40 I just don't see the point of standing over night in some cases just for anything at all.

I order my stuff mostly online to be delivered.

There were a report of someone wanting gta5 that badly somebody got stabbed.

And not everyone is sad. I just don't see the need for a game that badly.

18. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Not that I quite understand the hype anymore (at my age), but the game does look amazing. I didn't care for GTA 4; but it looks like they improved the combat, characters, and sense of humor over the previous installment. As close to a "living world" as there we've seen before, it appears.

Wish this one got some love on the PC. Guess we'll have to wait a few months.

19. Calliers

The jokes especially on the radio in GTA 4 were not as good as previous GTA games (although I loved Republican Space Rangers), it's good to hear that the sense of humor has returned strong in this installment.

20. Tipstaff

Xbox 360 - Linking to Facebook

If you check your "Settings" tab within the game you should see, at the bottom, a listing for linking your game to Facebook. On the PS3 it's pretty straight forward from what I've heard (goes straight to the username/password page), but on the 360... not so much. Took me a good while to figure out why I could not link the account.

Apparently, by default, your Xbox profile has the "Social Network Sharing" setting set to "Blocked", and the only way to change this is to log into your account on Xbox.com. If you're having similar problems just follow the instructions on THIS page to change it. Make sure you are logged out of your 360 (at least the profile), change that setting, and once you log back into your profile you should be good to go.