Official Half-Life 2 Discussion Thread (No spoilers allowed.)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by MythicaL, Nov 16, 2004.

1. RVachon

RVachon Genuine Crazy Canuck

Why not try different drivers? I doubt it has anything to do with the game itself. :)

2. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I'm in love with this game. I unlocked it at 3 AM this morning (12 AM PST) but it took a good 10 minutes. I passed the time by using steam to create shortcuts to hl2 on my desktop. My desktop is now COVERED in hl2 shortcuts. Alas I'm at work.

I spent the first hour playing just throwing around the random objects. They put bottles and boxes and cans and stuff everywhere so you can just go nuts making towers with them or throwing them at stuff. The soda machines will even dispense a can that you can throw at someone!

3. dorkz

dorkz Striving to overcome

100 Minutes to go for me, been really slow all day I guess the server is getting battered. I'm using Cat 4.8's atm I think, hope these work with it else I'll have to get the 4.12's (?).

4. Chaosophy

Chaosophy New Member

Have you tried chanign the AI setting? I'm sure I've read about problems (with CS:S at least) where changing that was the fix.

But you owe it to yourself and Valve to get it working, it's a great game, don't give up yet.

(hope the fix works, now that you made me register ;-)

(actualy been meaning to register for a while and start to get involved a bit more. I spend so much time here, espec in the Radeon forum, and get so much great help from people on here that I feel I should start chipping in a bit more)

(please be gentle)

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I have always said, steam was incapable of handling demand. It was proved with the inital preload charge and its been proved again today. Its a great idea in concept, updating games etc automatically, but they either need to upgrade their whole pipeline system or rethink the system. Performance today from their network has been seriously underpowered. Its not like they have been rushing this, its already over a year late.

6. RVachon

100 minutes?? :confused: :confused: Are you shittin' me? Man that blows. :x

7. dorkz

dorkz Striving to overcome

Yeah It started out @ 400 MIN, I've been downloading since just after lunch @ 2

8. RVachon

Well I finished installing off the CDs and now everything is not working. Steam is too busy to do anything. This Steam thing is BS. Like Zardon said, if their going to do crap like this have the equipment in place to handle it. I hope this thing is worth the frustration otherwise I'll be sending them a nasty email...I'll probably send one anyhow WHILE I'M WAITING TO REGISTER MY CD-KEY BUT KEEP GETTING TIMED OUT!!!!!! :annoyed:

9. YAYitsAndrew

You really want valve to pay tons of money to buy extra bandwidth for just a few days? What are they gonna do with it after that? Pay for it until hl3? Steam has worked fine in the past and it will work fine in the future once this rush is gone. It's too short term to upgrade hardware.

10. RVachon

They had no problem raping me of my $60+ though. Yea I do think they should get more bandwidth. Last time I checked you pay for extra bandwidth on a monthly basis so it's not a permanent thing. So here I am, $60+ poorer and can't play. Awesome!

The fact that they're going to make a shit load of money on this title means they should accomodate and they knew their was going to be high demand.

11. HardwareHeaven

Yes I do want them to pay extra money for bandwidth for a month or so, they can afford it cant they? I mean come on lets get real. People have paid £30 for this game since friday and ive been hearing in email from my site owner friends their forums are full of complaints about even getting the game authorised. When you run an operation like that you NEED to get things right otherwise you get a bad reputation, and its already been rough sailing for valve for a long time with scandals.

I didnt say "upgrade " hardware either, I said get a few extra servers to help with demands. they dont need to buy them.

The game is great mind you, very impressive.

12. YAYitsAndrew

It's very possible that there are also hardware upgrades that would need to be done to accomodate more bandwidth. They don't just call up AOL and ask for bigger numbers.

No one has been denied service yet. If you try you're going to get through and download it. You waited a whole extra year for the game, I think you can wait an extra 5 minutes to download at a slower speed. If you still have a problem you can wait another week for the activation flood to finish and then activate yourself at full speed.

edit: have an analogy.
    It's day after christmas and you're in line at best buy. They've hired a few extra workers for customer service, but you still need to wait 20 minutes before you're helped. Do you expect best buy to hire and train even more extra workers because for one week out of the year customer service is totally swamped?

13. HardwareHeaven

Hey no offense, ive been following your postings on this forum and while I think you maybe have the impression you know everything. You dont. There are companies which rent lines and can accommodate extra bandwidth via optical fibre. I have done it myself on this site in the past and I dont have the income or revenue Valve have. If you are going to mess people around for 12 months+ then you make sure when its released it goes smoothly.

People are being denied service - even if its temporary, they have spent their money on something they cant get to run....., ive received 12 emails today from DH members who have spent 3 hours trying to get the game they BOUGHT last week to activate online. Now hey you do the math across the world, thats a lot of unhappy users. People as you say have waited an extra year for the game, so why the hell cant valve have sorted out the quite apparent demand for this game, its not like they have had 2 weeks to prepare it. Its pathetic.

Im glad I dont have you in PR, ill say that for one thing andrew, just as well more people dont think along the lines of "If you still have a problem you can wait another week for the activation flood to finish and then activate yourself at full speed" because you would soon be out of business.

14. YAYitsAndrew

15. HardwareHeaven

ok guys, Terry has opened a thread in the ati forums regarding any issues you might have with Half Life 2. you can visit and discuss ATi driver performance and issues in this thread. This will make sure ATI will see it and act on improvements. thank you.

16. HardwareHeaven

EDIT: mmm, let me work that out. guy walks up to a counter buys his goods, is told to wait for a few days then to come back as the goods arent yet available. he returns in 3 days as instructed then queues to get his goods, gets to the front of the queue and is then told, "sorry we dont have enough staff right now, go to the back of the queue and wait for 3 to 5 hours so we will have the manpower to give you them".

Interesting analogy. Anyway we all know how you feel, lets get back to discussing the game please.

17. Daim

Daim New Member

how big was the last download??i had to go to school so i did't saw it finish =P​
    just curious..:drool:
    b.t.w the game rocks !! =) exept for the stuttering right after loading a map or with some sounds..​

Intel Pentium 4 3 Ghz with ht​
    768 Mb DDR 333​
    Ati Radeon 9800XT​

18. HardwareHeaven

I personally feel this game is a masterpiece. wont even try to get it into words.

19. YAYitsAndrew

I couldn't really tell you a size, but there's like 3 progress bars before you can play. One downloads, one decrypts, and I dunno what the third one did. It just said 'when this bar is filled you can play hl2' and I was content. All in all it took a good 15 minutes to get through everything. The decryption is done on your computer I hear so that process may take longer itself depending on the speed of your machine.

Keep in mind that this was right at 12 AM when it launched and only steam users were unlocking. It must be worse now that retail purchasers are also unlocking.

edit: and I also have that stuttering issue. It looks like a lot of people are actually, so let's hope for an early patch to fix it.

20. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

The game is cracked. It emulates steam so you dont even need to install steam.
    Apperantly some problems exists etc though (rushed).

I feel this game deserves to be bought and anyone who download this and not buys this should be shoot.
    and like zardon say this game is so good describing it by words alone is useless.

I love the bullets into water effect when your underwater though. That made me cry :)