OK... how do I use the Compressor+ again?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Shaamaan, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Shaamaan

Shaamaan New Member

I've lost my HDD recently, and with it, all my kX settings.

Not a good day. :sigh:

Needless to say, I'm trying to get stuff back. One of those things is a DSP setting designed for voice-chat software. The idea is classic; when someone talks to me over any voice chat software, any other sounds should quiet down.

I remember the basic DSP routing that's needed for this, but I cannot for the love of me remember how to set the individual values of the Compressor+ plugin. I can only manipulate the general system sound volume, which seems to ignore completely if there's any signal coming from the communications device.

Here's the basic layout of the DSP:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I know it's sub-optimal; there's no need for surrounder for example, but let's leave that out for the time being; I doubt it's what's causing the trouble...

So... how do you use the Compressor again? :confused:

2. jaromanda

jaromanda Active Member

"other" sounds to top two inputs of APSComp+, outputs to where you want those sounds to go

"chat" sounds to bottom two inputs, and also to where you want chat sounds to go

enable "toggle side channel"

play with the threshold setting

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Also, it would probably be a good idea to add an "x4" plugin between the "chat" sounds and the side chain inputs (bottom two) of the APS Compressor+.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010