ok who still hand codes HTML?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 27, 2002.

1. radTube

radTube just keepin' it cool

Gotta do it by hand. Whenever I've experimented with dreamweaver of GoLive, I've always had to redo most of it by hand. GoLive isn't bad though if it's just pure HTML...

edit: had to correct the spelling... just couldn't let it be :rolleyes:

2. MrUrt

MrUrt New Member

I code everything by hand, of course, I don't do much coding (just a small website)

3. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

well i did a bunch of coding today...but if i showed it to you, that would wreck the purpose of me doing the coding (sort of.)

4. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Re:

Homesite 4.5 is what i use for editing

5. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

iI jsut started to hand code my new site this is my first atempt http://www.geocities.com/sourcer_2002 its gonna be moved when im done ive used HomeSite to do modt of the codeing i cant figure dreamweaver out and i dont have the nerve to mess with it.

6. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Re:

That's a little strange since most people have better luck using a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver than hand-coding it. Not a bad thing, but it just seems weird.

7. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

I cant stand dreaweaver and im to busy to try and a learn it so i attempeted hand coding the site is coming along slowly right now cause ive been busy but i get back around and finsh it porlly next week.

8. metric152

metric152 New Member

only kind of

IMHO there is no real reason to pure hand coding for simple flat sites anymore when you have really sweet programs like dreamweaver mx to do that for you. The only reason to hand code would be if your doing something complex with layers and css that no wysiwug progam to date can do. So far I still haven't seen a program that can do centered nested layering.

What I usually do is layout the flat part (or hand written part) of a site in a template and then do my scripting within the template so I can do site wide changes in one click.

Hand coding simple flat sites in a waste of time now a days.

9. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Sort of...I am now pretty much hand coding everything on all my sites. And its easier to get exactly what you want. I admit Dreamweaver does an excellent job, but hand coding still rules. Again, I do agree DW is great for flat sites too.... but, learning to hand code is a good thing to do. (PS: Never use Frontpage, anybody that does.......shouldn't)

10. [DH]Hawk

[DH]Hawk Hardware Hawk

If I'm making a placeholder for a webpage or just a small informative page I use Notepad. But for a proper site, Dreamweaver 4.

11. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

I just think it is easier to visualize the design in my head, draw and slice ith PS, and then code it. Of course, I tend to program in XHTML Strict and Transitional, so a WYSIWYG editor wouldn't help too much.

12. radTube

radTube just keepin' it cool

It's frustrating to see all those oh so graphical, obviously WYSIWYG-designed sites with little or no real content. So nice to wait for a few minutes for a page to load, then wait again for IE to load it since the page won't look right in your favourite browser, just to admire the beauty of the design. "I'll never be back but it sure is a nice looking page."

Ok.. I admit this post might seem a bit out of topic, but the bottom line is this: Working in a WYSIWYG-editor can often make you forget the point. It so sadly common to find content modified or sacrificed for the sake of style.

Another thing to ponder: How many visits is your magnificently stylish page going to get from people who use a hand held internet device, a net capable cell phone or somesuch. Just what are they going to see?

13. Smoothdrive

Smoothdrive Foolish Genius

Well with all do respect, handcoding is very very time-consuming, i've done some hand-coded pages a long time ago (97 or so) switched to frontpage an later to dreamweaver since it just works much much faster while creating..still comes in handy to know something about handcoding sometimes to debug a page.
    Well about the contents..yes there are far too many pages out there without decent content..than again who says i can't make and publish a page without decent content just for the fun of it..it's fun just making a page with some holiday pictures or whatever on it and showing it to your friends or family..
    For the record à am not a proffesional designer or webmaster or whatever..i just like to hobby around with websites sometimes ;)

The applications available now just made it easier for anyone to create a website leading to increased internet use, leading to increased computer sales leading to lower prices and increased development budgets for the manufacturers, leading to better and cheaper stuff for everyone..what's wrong with that ??

Only problem i can think of is that it is hard to get your page noted when you do have content you feel needs watching by the world..

14. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Dreamweaver MX can do XHTML Transitional quite well, but since I use strict now anyways, and since Dreamweaver isn't all that good for coding PHP ;) I'll stick with hand coding.

15. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Re:

Exactly.

16. Smoothdrive

Smoothdrive Foolish Genius

Well you got me there..never got any further than using layers...i don't even know what xhtml or php does..so i gues i don't use it..is that all databse/application related stuff ?? ok i know i shouldn't be part of this discussion..shame on me.. ;)

17. EmXtrix

EmXtrix New Member

I definitely use both and when dealing with Dreamweaver it's usually 95% in the code-section.

18. JLP

JLP New Member

Hand

I do it using plain text editors. Visual editors just create bloated and nonstandard code and you don't have total control over HTML.

19. tek

tek New Member

DEF. use Dreamweaver MX, handcode about 70% off the HTML, 30% in the work-window.
    Hey I'm not that good with HTML, but I am with photoshop7 so blah!

20. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I usually create a page in Dreamweaver MX/Mozilla Composer and then edit HTML source in something like syn Text Editor.