Old faithful has started just switching off

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Didnt manage to get other pc back up and brother in law not here till mid next week But i had decided that the PC corner needed cleaning in preperation, So I moved it all out and that included moving my trusty Beige tower

cleaned...A lot ..damn that dust

Put everything back hit power the fans spun and then the PC instantly shut down (not even as for as the BIOS ... Tried again same ...Fans will continue to spin on case but not on CPU or GFX .... Tried reseating everything but its still the same

Pulled 1 memory module, tried both 1 at a time ..same

Switched out vid card to other slot and then older spare card same

Pulled the power supply and plugged in an old 250 watt just to see if it holds power power and that will keep the power on

Probably 80% thinking needs a New PSU ... any one agree ?

BTW realised that this Corsair 600 PSU has been powering my various bits since 2004

in the meantime my current setup is a my wifes very first PC box that I had stored in the attic

1.4 Gig CPU , 2 Gig Ram , 125 Gig HD and inbuilt intel onboard video ... best I can run is word and solitaire :)

Anyone agree that PSU is probably culprit ?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Probably. Funnily enough, ages ago, I cleaned my old case with some compressed air (from a can) only to find the PSU unwilling to power on anymore. It too had become fairly old by that time (around 10 years).

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You scared me with that title.

The PSU is from 2004? Well, yeah it is possible it died. Also by this time the actual performance must be quite lower than 600W as they tend to lose a percentage every year.
    I don't think I would trust such an old PSU for any running PC.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  4. Mr Cairo

OK Ill dig around on ebay see if I can find a decentish PSU for my tower (still plan on giving that to my mum in law once I sort my new rig)

Funny how the years mellow you out about 15 years ago I would have been instantly out the door chasing up parts nagging my brother in law and now its "ill get there when I get there" :)

New (2nd hand) PSU it is then :)

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  5. Mr Cairo

alive.jpg

New PSU Installed and bam we are back .... New psu weighs about 3 IB the old one was about 12 pounds and soooo many cables

Calliers likes this.
  6. IvanV

That's a figure of speech, right? o_O

7. Mr Cairo

LOL yeah I was just surprised at how heavy it was ...its a real brick compared to the new one

8. IvanV

I thought so, but a part of me wanted it to be true, with some epic backstory. :D I forgot you mentioned that it was a Corsair 600W unit.

9. Mr Cairo

Out of curiosity I weighed it ..corsair weighs 4.6 IB ... thats ridiculous, but tbh it was very well built

IvanV likes this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

I'm glad you're back up and running!

11. Mr Cairo

As am I, that 1.6 CpU 2 gig of ram stand in PC that I used has given me a whole new appreciation of how fast my current setup actually is :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I just had a moment like that yesterday... I have a 3600 MHz CL16 kit of RAM and I have overclocked it to 3800 and yesterday I got the bright idea of just running every benchmark and stress test at the same time to see if all that could make the system crash. FurMark, Prime95 small FFTs, Cinebench R20, Geekbench, CPU-z bench, HWiNFO64 open, and Ryzen Master open... sure the system was super sluggish compared to normal use, but it handled the onslaught like a champ! I can only imagine my old FX-8350 and how it probably would have been near impossible to even move the mouse :p

Anyway, I don't ever want to go back like you had to... downgrading even for a short period is an eye opener!

QB

13. Mr Cairo

This is what I have been working with, I was sure I had an old Voodoo, 3dFX or Nvidia 256 card laying about in an old box of parts but sadly not, I had planned to play a little quake 2 on it for nostalgia

To be fair to it started first time and had XP on it ..managed to upgrade that and it coped with 10 surprisingly well, slow slow browsing aside that is

View attachment 6021 View attachment 6021 20200620_141855.jpg

Attached Files: