Old member back again New build in progress

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Randomletters, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Hey whats up everyone, I came back once before like a year ago but other then that brief stint I haven't been here in years.

I'm very glad to see its still active, And I look forward to sticking around this time once my new rig is completed in a couple weeks.

So far I've picked up the following off craigslist, got a great deal on everything

Asus p8p67
    Antec Earthwatts 650w
    Galaxy 550ti

I also ordered an Antec Gaming One series case. I'm really budget orientated and figure I could save the most if I chose an i3-2120.

I'm planning on the following to complete the build

Samsung Spinpoint f3 1Tb (Which is actually on sale right now for $30 off, too bad I wont have extra money til September 1st so ill miss that sale)

2x4gb ddr 1600mhz (Not decided on specific brand yet)

As for a monitor, there's actually a Benq 24" 1920x1200 used on sale for $100, Ill be buying that if its still available.

Now... I really love overclocking, and I know the p8p67 does a great job at it. If I drive the 45 miles to Microcenter I can get an i5-2500k for $160 instead of Neweggs $230 price tag, I'll have to figure in an aftermarket cooler, but for $50 more and a Days drive I can go from a locked 3.3ghz dual core, to an unlocked potential 4ghz quad core.

TL;DR If you have an i3-2100 series, Do you hate/not hate it, Do you feel it holds the rest of your rig back?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Welcome back, man. Have fun with the new build.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Actually with the P67 series board and intel i3 2120.... i think you shouldn't have issues hitting some nice figures.

The Z77 chipset really lets a Gen 2 intel i3 sing though from my testing..

Provided you get a better heatsink on the chip.... i've managed to get relatively decent overclocks.

However it is a near minimal CPU, a dual core with HT, even overclocked won't be able to break the potential and real "bottleneck", that's where a i5 for the most part seems to just solve everything.

Although i know your trying to save cash on getting stuff.... keep an eye on a 500gb Seagate Momentus XT 7200 500gb or 750gb 2.5" Hybrid Hardrive.... trust me... if you want the advantages of both worlds...... that is the drive to get..... I would even go as far to say that it's more reliable and versatile and even in some cases "faster" than a straight up Solid State today. Recently there was a sale on them... I picked up 6 for stock...... blew through them already.... anyone i've setup a machine, old or new, is utterly amazed at the difference. And the bonus is that it can be used on old machines as well as new/any OS you want.

4. secretreeve

secretreeve New Member

do like to see new builds lol

5. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Heya thanks for the replies, another week and a half ish before I can order the rest of my parts. Im 80% sure im going with the i3 for budget reasons, unless I get the call saying I can start work again soon.

6. Judas

they are a solid cpu.....

although i must admit the gen 3 i3's are looking tasty...

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm probably looking at mid-October or so before I attempt a new build.

I'll be checking out any other newer builds between now and then to get a good grasp of where I want to go with mine.

Good luck on yours! And do post some benchmark/performance results once you get it working to your satisfaction.

8. skilltz

skilltz New Member

i would really recommend to wait and see the new ivy bridge i3's benched compared to sandy bridge, currently you can can get the sandy bridge for around 100$, but the ivy bridge will be a bit more expensive initially.

9. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

I believe my motherboard requires a bios update in order to use IB processors,
    and afaik you need a processor to update the bios, so its sort of a catch 22.

I could go with the cheaper i3, once my finances are straightened out again and bios updated, I could go with a better Ivy Bridge likely an i5

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I recently upgraded to a processor a good 2 or 3 years behind what you currently have :p

I've done an i3-2120 gaming build for a friend recently, and it performs very well. For gaming, especially with a fairly lowly graphics card like the 550, you certainly don't need anything more. But if you do want that little bit extra, and especially if you're planning to feed it with an SSD, the 2500K is a solid upgrade.

11. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Yea I've got a phone call tomorrow to make, hopefully when I hang up ill be reemployed, Im going to go with the i3, a month down the road Ill likely pick up an i5 ivy bridge and a cooler

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Don't waste your money by buying two CPUs. Even if you sell the i3, you won't get all your money back. just keep with the i3 for 2 or 3 years - it won't be found lacking in that period imo.

13. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Ordered the rest of my parts last night, Couldn't get to microcenter so I had to go with the i3.

i3-2120
    Spinpoint f3 1tb
    4gb x 2 Crucial ballistix sport ddr3 1600

I was expecting to pick up a monitor from craigslist, but it sold. So I went with an Acer P237HL 23" I found for $125 shipped.

Im disappointed I couldnt get the i5-2500k but ill likely be putting this rig up on Cl for $100 profit, if it sells, ill build another one!

14. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Everything but the hard drive will arrive later today, unfortunately it shipped from CA and not NJ like the rest of my order.

Almost tempted to pick up a cheap drive from bestbuy, and return it in a couple days.

*Edit*
    Put the rig together, Booted up, messed around in the Uefi, pretty neat. No problems with the build.

Hard drive arrived in Boston an hour ago, maybe ill get lucky, and they'll toss it on the truck for early delivery tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  15. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Are you bragging or complaining? :lol:

16. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Rig is very solid, Up and running with no problems.

Messing with the BLCK because I cant help but OC. Though I read its dangerous to raise the clock speed because it also raises other speeds the PCI bus/ram speed.

Now currently Im at 3.5Ghz Ram is at 1700mhz, How damaging is it to overclock the i3 2120

17. Judas

the clocks should actually lock and scale properly....

shouldn't be a problem actually.

18. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Pretty much stuck at 105.9 (3.5Ghz) anymore and it fails to boot, luckily the motherboard recognizes this and lets me into the bios to change it without having to fiddle with jumpers.

I'm a bit disappointed but I wasn't expecting 4Ghz+, I know how extremely unlikely it is with a locked multi.

I know Superpi is hardly a good benchmark tool but it actually scores a good 8s faster(11.09s 1MB) then my phenom IIx4@3.6Ghz(19sish) So im very happy with it over all.....Until I get my 2nd check from my new jobs and pick up an Ivy 3570k :)

19. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

No :p