Omega Drivers: What Happened...?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by mlauzon, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mlauzon

mlauzon New Member

I have Vista HP x64 & XP Pro x32. I've always heard good things about the Omega Drivers, but going to the site the last post is dated early last year and the last drivers are old as well.

Does anyone know if there are similiar enthusiast modded drivers out there for ATi cards?

2. crack1up

crack1up New Member

3. mlauzon

mlauzon New Member

And, how are they compared to the Omega Drivers; or are they the regular vanilla drivers I already have..?!

4. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

The link crack1up posted points to standard ATI Catalyst downloads, the NGO Optimized drivers are here, but the latest are based on Catatyst 7.3. You can aslo try Killersneak's DNA-ATI drivers from here.

5. mlauzon

mlauzon New Member

Well, I wouldn't downgrade that much to use NGO ones and need XP x32 & Vista x64 drivers and the DNA-ATi drivers are just 9.1 -- but exactly what I need -- and he/they are probably working on 9.2 as we speak; so I'll wait for those.

Does anyone have any experience with the DNA-ATi drivers?

6. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

7. mlauzon

mlauzon New Member

Yeah, they don't give a changelog of what changes they made, so I am going to hold off on them; at least the DNA people give changelogs....

8. SieRobin

SieRobin New Member

I'm gonna try out the X-treme G drivers. I'll let you know how they are. I'm dissapointed that Omega is pretty much gone, I loved those drivers. Anyhow, I'll fill you in.

9. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Anyone using the DNA drivers? I used to use Omega's drivers as well but honestly, I really haven't had any issues with plain jane ATI drivers either. More curious than anything else.

10. SieRobin

SieRobin New Member

XG Drivers won't install. I got the 9.1 XG XP32 drivers and they don't install. Driver simply says it couldn't find hardware to install it. Uhmn ok then, I'll try DNA I guess lol.

11. SieRobin

SieRobin New Member

So I got the XG drivers to install. Ehmn, they're nothing to really talk about.. for me anyhow they run like plain jane ATI drivers. Is DNA any good?

12. Rosco[CoF]

Rosco[CoF] New Member

Don't know, I only use the stock ATI drivers myself. I only use XG drivers for nVidia cards.

13. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

realistically I think that the official AMD Catalyst drivers are as good as you will find unless you need to use modded drivers for older hardware

14. SieRobin

SieRobin New Member

I agree.. however I'm just using the Omega Drivers back from 7.12. They seem to work the best for me, but could vary for others.

15. Mead

Mead New Member

I am in a sicky situation for a graphic driver for my laptop.

ATI won't support my 200m that in my Toshiba Laptop, I have talked directly to ATI reps at a lan party event about it. Toshiba has NEVER released a driver update, (ati claims all they would need to do is 30 minutes worth of work to create a version for it's users). So I am stuck between a rock and a hardplace, I can't use ATI's drivers since due to some contract, and Toshiba doesn't want to lift a finger to support my laptop.

Alternative drivers like Omega really are my only alternative if I want to play a games like Quakelive, city of heroes, and etc.

Seem like the gentleman behind the Omega drivers has stopped working on the project, while leaving up his website and his donation box... (Insert more rant)

I just think it is sad that project is dead for the time being.