Only 2100ppd on 9600GT - problem?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by blibbax, Sep 7, 2008.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Hi all,

I'm running a 9600GT at stock speeds, and FahMon is reprting 2100ppd, which is about what my own calculations make it to be. At first I thought this was pretty good, given that the single core CPU clients running on one core of my E2220 got 200ppd. However, I'm now reading on some forums that stock 9600GTs are geting 3500ppd+.

Does anyone have any tips for maximising PPD on the Nvidia GPU2 client?

I'm not experiencing low performance in games or other applications, I'm not running any other ditributed computing applications, and my GPU is not being bottleknecked by another part of my system.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

Which Nvidia drivers are you using? Make sure the CPU usage percent slider is all the way to the right and that the core priority is set to slightly higher.
    Also if you happen to be running one of the new projects 5508-5513 or 5017-5022, your speed will be slower than normal.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

-I'm running project 5017, but I've always had a ppd level around 2100. I have only been folding for a week or two though.
    -I'm already running with those configuration settings.
    -I'm using the 177.84 drivers. Would you reccomend a change?
    -I am using a single threaded CPU client at the same time, but this shouldn't be a problem on a dual core, right? My CPU is never maxed out on both cores while folding, and disabling either client does not have any impact on the performance of the other.

4. slugbug

I haven't tried those drivers, but I recently upgraded from 177.66 to 177.92 and my GPU folding clients get exactly the same speed: 8800GT - 4400-5000ppd

With these new projects (5508-5513 and 5017-5022) my ppd drops to 3000.

I would use drive cleaner to uninstall your drivers and then install the most recent version. It's definitely not normal for you to get the same speeds with these new projects as you do with the normal projects. By new projects I mean the ones worth 430 points. 2100 ppd with one of the new projects would be normal for your 9600GT, but you should be getting higher speeds with the regular 480 point work units.

By the way are you using the systray gpu client or the console version? Personally I found the systray version to be somewhat quicker. And don't open the viewer, use FahMon to monitor your folding speed.

I hope this helps.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm already using the systray client with fahmon. I haven't had any other GPU driver installed on my system since I last reformatted my HDD, so I doubt that a driver cleaner would have much efect.

I agree that I shouldn't be getting the same speed on the new WUs, but I also should be getting more than just half of your speed on the older WUs. :confused:

EDIT:
    I just received a new WU and am now getting 3.5k ppd. The solution: lowering ram latencies, enabling bank interleaving. Eh?

6. slugbug

Well that's more like it. Who would have thought your ram could cause that. Glad you got that worked out,

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

So was I...

I just received a new WU (5015, 480 points), and I'm back down to 2250ppd. :wtf:
    What is going on here? I got 3500ppd+ in one 480 point WU, then straight after, without changing anything, get 2250 ppd in another 480 point WU.

EDIT:
    I'm now 12% through the WU, and my ppd just jumped to 3200...
    I'm beginning to suspect that it's Fahmon rather than the client tself that's at fault. My own maths make out my ppd to be about 3500.
    Well thanks for yor help anyway, I'll see you on the leaderboard...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. slugbug

Open FahMon: Preferences/monitoring, and set Calculate ppd based on last 3 frames.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I am doing. Calculating on last frame only seems to make it more accurate though, so I might stick with that.