OpenAL + UT 2004

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by ROBSCIX, Feb 26, 2005.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Ok, first which gives better 3d sound when using KX with theis game..I only use Kx so who cares about EAX..Now I am curious what happens if I set it to EAX being thats it's an open AL extension>hack to EAX whatever you wanna call it.... Does openAL work with KX, if I set it to 3daudio it will just use the DS3d API'S is that correct?...I don't really care I am just curious as to how to get good spatial sound in this game...thanks for the responses.:)

2. blackshard

blackshard New Member

I hope it is working good for you.
    With my system when I move even distant sounds plays very loud. When I'm standing somewhere sounds plays correctly.

However I think that if you enable EAX you won't get anything better than just ds3d.

3. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Did You experienced the same behaviour on 3537?

4. blackshard

blackshard New Member

Unfortunately yes. I moved from 3537 to 3538h without any advantages with ut2004.
    Also I tried to tweak ut2004.ini file to see if situation changed, but I had no luck. I was just able to enable 62 hardware voices, but since hardware mixing doesn't work correctly it is completely useless.:dead:

I also asked Eugene if there were a possibility to get ds3d code (in fact there is an openal wrapper in ut2k4 used to convert openal calls to ds3d calls), but he told that currently this isn't in his plans, and I think a native openal driver is far far away. :sigh:

At last, I tried to download an alternative openal->ds3d wrapper, but I had the same bad behaviour. :tears:

5. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

I'm asking about this, because I found some 3D sound problems in games, which didn't happen to me before (maybe it's because there was no 6.1 support). I'm talking about FarCry, Painkiller, UT2k4 for example. But some games still work great (HL2).

6. blackshard

blackshard New Member

Usually I don't use hardware mixing with kx and games because there are often glitches. When I played UT2K4 I just tried hardware mixing because I remembered that with creative drivers and eax the game lose a lot of frames per second. With kx there aren't such slowdowns, but it doesn't work very well, so I got interested in this topic, but unfortunately I found no way to solve this problem.

7. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

But You can't get surround on software mixing.