Opensource

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Hugo Santos

Hugo Santos Member

I couldn't understand a thing on that link on what to do or what to get...

2. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

I used Google translate and translated the page to English. There is a free download of something Su Yang calls "Su Yang kX3552 v3 Free Edition." It is an .exe package. I downloaded it and clicked on it to see what was being installed, but the installer is not in English, so I discontinued the installation.

I clicked round on that page and translated other pages that poped up with Google translate, but I still can't get a good sense of what's in this "Su Yang kX3552 v3 Free Edition" download. It appears to be some of the kX plug ins (including the ProFX plug ins) with different skins, for one thing. However, if we don't get an English translation or description of what exactly this download is, we will probably stay in the dark about what it really offers kX users. It also appears that some of the other things on that kx3552.com page are being sold as plug ins that can be used in the kX DSP.

I hope we hear something in English about what is going on.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  3. Hugo Santos

Hugo Santos Member

Well, I went one step further and went on with the installation of the same .exe. It does its job and then... nothing. No icons, no shortcuts, no folders I can easily identify... no virus was detected, but I'm a litle suspicious as to about what changes were made... No new plugins in the dsp or new skins...

4. thomasabarnes

If you're bold enough, how about uninstalling the kX driver, reboot so you know it's uninstalled, and then install that exe again. If you get the kX driver back installed, from that exe, at least we know it installs the kX driver. :)

5. Hugo Santos

Hugo Santos Member

Nope, not taking that risk, sorry. I would test it in a virtual environment, but my pc isn't powerful enough for virtualization.

6. thomasabarnes

OK I understand. :)

7. thomasabarnes

I'll try it and report back.

8. thomasabarnes

OK. I uninstalled kX and installed Su Yang's version. It worked. You can tell the difference of Su Young's kX version because there is a different kX splash screen when the kX Mixer is loading, and the DSP window has an anime kind of design on the background. It installs and uses the 32Bit kX Mixer. There are more plug ins accessible from the DSP.

There was one thing wrong, and that was there was no ASIO driver installed. I tried to register the kxasio.dll manually, but I got an error (I can't remember exactly what it said, something about a kX device wasn't found.) It seems the Su Yang or Su Young (whichever it is) kX driver version is for people who want to use kX for music listening.

The main purpose of kX is for music production and that means the ASIO driver is important!

So I uninstalled the Su Young version and re-installed the official kX version and the ASIO driver was still missing. So, I did a system restore and the ASIO driver is back, now. :) I have a drive image for C drive, just in case the system restore didn't work, so I wasn't really worried.

If the ASIO driver was working with the Su Young version of kX, I would have kept that version. What's good about the Su Young version is that the installer works great , except for the no ASIO driver part. The kX Mixer loaded after each restart, the playback buffer setting was remembered at restart, the ProFX plug ins and the UFX plug ins are installed by the installer along with some of Su Young's own plug ins. Also the 32bit version of the kX mixer is what is loaded at restart, and there are more DSP plug ins, including some of Su Young's own plug ins.

When using the official 3552 kX installer, I have to restart the PC after running the installer and then use Device Manager to browse to the kX .inf to correctly install the official 3552 kX version, but once that's done, the kX Mixer always loads and the playback buffer settings is remembered after each restart. But another thing is after I restart the PC, I always have to re-initilize the DSP to get sound from playing media players and such.

I think it is a possitive thing for Su Young to share the kX driver version that he has provided. Someone may find it useful.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  9. cLcL

cLcL New Member

hi, i installed suyang's version without uninstalling the old kxdriver (same 3552), and it works great (have asio installed fine, and suyang's dsp). just open the kxmixer (in c:\program files (x86)\kx project

10. thomasabarnes

Hi cLcL:

Thanks for your post! I installed the Su Yang version over the official 3552 and I do have ASIO, now!

I'm gonna keep this Su Yang version installed. Everything is working nicely! The ASIO control panel is accessible from the DAW software, but it can't be acsessed by rightcliking on the kX icon in the taskbar, but that's OK.

Also, I think this 3552 ASIO driver is a pretty good one. I can run most heavey projects using a 5.8 ms roundtrip latency setting without crackles. pops, or dropouts, and I can run the heaviest SONAR demo projects that are packed with tracks (46), FX (30+) and virtual instruments at 11.6 ms roundtrip latency and that's at a 44.1 samplerate, so a higher sample rate means lower roundtrip latency. That's pretty good performance for this ASIO driver, and better than some or equal to the common performance of commercial audio interfaces.

The kX Project Audio Driver is still alive! :) Thanks for the release of 3552 and opensource of the kX Audio Driver, Eugene! :) And thank you Su Yang for providing us with your kX 3552 version. :) I really like that it loads up the 32bit version of the kX Mixer, so we can go right to using the ProFX and UFX plug ins. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  11. adXok

adXok New Member

Hi, guys
    Please can someone explain the complete list instructions on how to install Eugene's kX 3552 driver on a Windows 7 SP1 64-bit system.
    How to use the ProFX pliguns (which I believe are still in 32 bit mode only). So how in a 64-bit W7 SP1 system those could be loaded and used properly with the kX DSP?

Also is Su Yang's version some kind of an upgrade or fix, or just add-on, or all that in one package?

12. thomasabarnes

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64Bit. What I had to do to install the official kX 3552:

Rightclick on the 3552 setup and install as Administrator, reboot computer, before computer starts Windows keep hitting F8 so you can select disabled driver singnature enforcement, then select it and let Windows load up,.

When Windows loaded I got an error that kX needs to be re-installed, so go to Device Manager and for the kX generic device update the driver and browse to the kX.inf in Program Files\ kX Project folder. Let the kX.inf install the driver, and reboot.

Repeatedly Hit F8 again before windows loads, and select disable driver signature again. Let Windows load. Hit OK for all the kX promts to load stuff.

When Windows loads, Check that the ASIO driver is installed properly (rightclick kX Mixer and select Settings, then ASIO Control Panel), if the ASIO driver is not installed properly, you have to manually register it by typing "regsvr32 kxasio.dll" without the quote marks in the start menu run box or the CMD prompt run box.

Once ASIO driver is installed properly, you're good to go. Select Master Mixer as the Windows default playback device, select your speaker preferences from kX Mixer,and you may have to reinitialize the kX DSP to get sound from media players, also rightclick kX icon in taskbar and select Settings>Setup Buffers to choose 10ms for the playback buffer size, that will stop the crackles when playing back media files in meadia players.

For ProFX here's the deal:

The official 3552 driver install loads the 64Bit version of the kX Mixer when Windows starts. To use the New ProFX plug ins, you have to use the 32bit version of kX Mixer. So, quit the 64bit version of kX mixer, and browse to Program Files (x86)\kX Project folder and double click kxmixer to load the 32bit version of kX Mixer. Install the new ProFX plug ins and use them with the 32Bit Version of kX Mixer. Also install the UFX plug ins, if you want them.

The deal with the Su Yang version of the 3552 kX Driver:

It is a fixed installer and installs the 3552 driver without having to go through stuff like rebooting to disable driver signature enforcement, and using the Device Manager to properly install the driver. The Su Yang version of 3552 also loads the 32bit version of the kX mixer when Windows starts up. The Su Yang version also playback sound from media players without a need to reinitialize the kX DSP after every computer reboot. (Once you load the kX default DSP setup once, kX remembers and you wont have to reinitialize the kX DSP after every reboot to get sound for media players). The Su Yang 3552 version is installed with its own custom DSP setup. The Su Yang version of 3552 has more kX Plug ins to use in the kX DSP, and it installs the new ProFX plugins and UFX plug ins when the Su Yang version of the 3552 driver is installed.

I had an experience where the Su Yang version doesn't install the ASIO driver when doing a clean install of the Su Yang driver (that is, I uninstalled the official kX driver version and then rebooted and installed the Su Yang version). So, the action I took (thanks to the report of kX user cLcL) was to install the Su Yang version on top of the already installed official kX version. And all was good. The ASIO driver was available.

It may be that the Su Yang version does install the ASIO driver. It's just that to check if the ASIO driver was installed, I was going about it the wrong way. I was trying to access the ASIO Control Panel by rightclicking on the kX icon in the taskbar and going to Settings>ASIO Control Panel. That works when using the official 3552 version but not with Su Yang's version. The ASIO Control Panel doesn't open when following those steps with the Su Yang version installed, but the ASIO driver is available in DAW software. When I did a clean install of the Su Yang 3552 driver version. I was sure I checked in the DAW software and no ASIO driver was available. But when I installed the Su Yang version over the official kX version the ASIO driver was available in the DAW software and the ASIO Contol Panel was accessible from inside the DAW software, although the ASIO Control Panel was still not accessible via a rightclick on the kX icon in the taskbar.

I'm tired of going through the process of installing and uninstalling to test, so if someone who hasn't installed any version of kX, yet, feels adventurous, install the Su Yang version of 3552 and see if the ASIO driver is available in DAW software. If it is, the installer issues with the official 3552 version are fixed completely and that's a good thing.

It appears the only thing that isn't installed is the Joystick port that is available for some Creative Labs cards. And it stays as an unknown device in Device Manager. I think this device provides MIDI in/out for some Creative Labs soundcards. I don't need it for MIDI In/Out because I'm using an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, and the MIDI In/Out on the External I/O unit is working. And thanks to the report of HardwareHeaven user Tyrsonswood, MIDI In/Out will still work for users who have cards that use a joystick port and connect their MIDI cable to that port, even though there is no driver installed for the joystick port and it's listed as an unknown device in Device Manager.

I hope this info is helpful for somebody.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  13. thomasabarnes

In my opinion, it's all that in one package. :)

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Joystick driver isn't necessary for MIDI I/O at the joystick port... Just so ya know.

15. thomasabarnes

OK, but I'm just trying to be complete with a report of what's going on with the 3552 driver installations. I certainly don't need the joystick port for MIDI In/Out with my Audigy 2 ZS platinum Pro.

I'd like to be clear about what are you saying, Tyrsonswood. Are you saying without the joystick driver, users with soundcards that use the joystick port can connect to the joystick port and still use MIDI In/Out, even though a driver is not installed for the joystick port and Device Manager lists the joystick port as an unknown device?

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

That is correct... MIDI I/O works without the joystick driver. Just ignore the Device Manager report.

17. thomasabarnes

Well, that's good stuff. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  18. adXok

adXok New Member

thomasabarnes,
    thanks man for your comnplete instructions. I will try to install Su Yang's version then. It will be a clean install.
    Maybe you do not have the ASIO icon because Su Yang's version installs 64 bit ASIO on a "Windows 7 64bit" whilst at the same time, as you say, Su Yang's defaults to the 32 bit mixer and interface. I'm just guessing here.

Thanks a million for the instructions. Tomorrow I will try to install and see what will happen on this computer I've got here! :)

**************************************** NEXT DAY **************************************
    Yep, as I expected the Su Yang's installer is just inunderstandable in Chinese.
    Clean install.
    I am Cyrillic user and for me there were missing text, missing links but the icons were somehow active. Total nightmare. I left all things as is and the installer refused to run if the PC was not connected to the Internet which was... well, odd!
    Anywy... I connected and clicked the big orange button [>>>]. Installation went through and... my microphone started to transmits sound to the headphones. So far so good... but!
    It is just 32 bit version. Which is bad for me as my DAWs are 64-bit. So no ASIO, no good.
    Now I'll try the method of installing SY's over the official 3552 EG's version.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  19. adXok

adXok New Member

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. What I had to do to install the official kX 3552 driver:

Right click on the 3552 set up and install as Administrator. Reboot the computer after the installation and next, before computer starts Windows, keep hitting F8 in order to select "Disable driver signature enforcement", then select it and let Windows load up.

When Windows loaded I got an error that kX needs to be re-installed and there was no Audio Device found.
    So go to Device Manager and for the 'kX generic device', right click it then "Update the driver..." and select "Let me choose...". Then browse to the kX.inf in Program Files\kX Project folder (installed). Let the kX.inf install the driver, and reboot.

Repeatedly hit F8 again before Windows loads, and select "Disable driver signature enforcement" again. Let Windows load. Hit [OK] for all the kX prompts to load stuff if any.

When Windows loads, in my case the kX autorun driver was pointing to non-existent 'kxmixer.exe' in Windows\system32 directory. Here is the tricky part:
    you need to have the 32-bit kXmixer.exe in order to take advantage of ProFX and some other plugins like it that are only 32-bit but are awesome.
    · open 'regedit.exe' (right click it: Open as Admin) from the Start panel and go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    · there you have to right click [Modify...] the 'kx Mixer' string value in my case (default I suppose) with: "C:\Program Files (x86)\kX Project\kxmixer.exe" --startup
    (quotes included too)
    · there, now the 32-bit 'kxmixer.exe' will autostart when Windows is loading! So far so good :)
    · reboot the computer

But... when doing these procedures, you may not have access to the 64-bit ASIO driver you have installed for your Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it will not appear in the 64-bit DAWs.
    So, check that the ASIO driver is installed properly (right click the newly loaded 'kX Mixer'-icon and select Settings, then ASIO Control Panel). If the ASIO driver panel appears it is probably the 32-bit .dll of it! So you have to manually register the 64-bit .dll! And here is the second tricky part:
    · open 'cmd.exe' (right click it: Open as Admin) from the Start panel and type in the prompt:
    cd C:\Program Files\kX Project
    · this places the prompt (cd = current dirctory) in the 64-bit directory of the kX driver where the 64-bit .dll file of the kX ASIO driver is!
    · then type in the prompt:
    regsvr32 kxasio.dll
    · and hit [Enter] key

Now 64-bit ASIO driver should be installed properly and you're good to go with your DAWs. Select the preferred Master channel as the Windows default playback device (in my case I put it on Wave Out 2/3 because I reserve Wvae Out 0/1 for my Foobar music player), select your speaker preferences from kX Mixer and you may have to reinitialize the kX DSP to get sound from media players, also right click kX icon in taskbar and select Settings→Set up Buffers to choose 10ms for the playback buffer size, that will stop the crackles when playing back media files in media players.

Now you are fully ready to install the ProFX plugins:

Go to: C:\Program Files (86)\kX Project and .zip the old 'ProFX.kxl' file so you can delete it (the file itself, .zip is for backup).
    Download the ProFX plugins from the forum here (probably a .zip file you have to extract from) and place the .kxl file in the same directory (C:\Program Files (86)\kX Project)
    To use the new ProFX plug ins, you have to register it through the 32bit version of kX Mixer. So if you have loaded the 32-bit 'kxmixer' (done already) go to its tray icon, right click, Effects → Register new effects...
    Browse to the ProFX.kxl file plugin and Opne it (11 modules should be registered successfully). You can install the UFX plug ins in the same manner, if you use them.

Now open the DAW and you have choices to select from a good amount of ASIO routes in 64-bit mode of the ASIO driver.
    Open the kX DSP and make your custom DSP preset, settings and whatever you use.

At least to me now everything works perfectly! No need to install Su Yang's fixes or whatever!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
    thomasabarnes likes this.
  20. thomasabarnes

Oh the kX ASIO driver was probably not working for me with the Su Yang's 3552 version because that version only installed the 32bit version of the kX ASIO driver. It makes sense, since I'm running 64Bit DAW software and 64Bit Windows. I forgot there can be 32Bit and 64Bit drivers.

That's a great set of instructions for installing the official kX 3552 drivers Thanks for including how to properly install the 64Bit kX ASIO driver and how to get the the 32bit version of the kX Mixer to automatically start at Windows startup.

Thanks for your comprehensive post, adXok. :)

Also, I deleted the SU Yang ProFX version of plug ins because of the non English GUIs, and I installed the official ProFX plug ins. Cya around.

With these most recent posts, it is progress being made. Now those who didn't know how to get the official version of the kX Driver installed, have complete instruction on how to do it. It still will be great to have a fixed installer that installs the official kX Drivers without installer issues.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014