Opinion: Grand Theft Auto IV Could Save Games for Windows

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Iria, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

The PC -- once the gold standard for videogaming enthusiasts -- has fallen from grace. As each successive console generation provides gamers with options that are more affordable and (most importantly) provide a simpler, pick-up-and-play experience, game developers are encountering fewer reasons to support the beleaguered PC platform.

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Very much trash article. I'm sure this guy really does have his pulse on the pc gaming community

I really feel bad for someone who can't understand the use of a pc and the cost that goes along with it. Or even the control and content received and made by the users. Or the ability to play games how you want to instead of giving developers all the choices.

I'm sorry I don't want to play a dumbed down collective sh*tf*ck now referred to as console games.

that I don't buy into the hype and believe everything that I read on the internet

and that I'm not so completely retarded that I need some rich publisher to force feed a spoonfull of the same sh*t I have already played.

and I'm sorry that I am not content with 3 resolution options with more games that look like jagged pieces of donkey sh*t

Maybe I should talk to him in a language he can understand.

I sowy, blight lyhts colrs no goods for me.

Some people need choices, the rest can ride the special bus with him.

Mousey likes this.
  3. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

The reason PC Gaming is apparently "Dying" is because developers are eitheir too busy jacking ideas out of Halo or deciding what shades of Grey and Brown to put into their generic "space-marine-has-to-save-the-universe IV" em' up.
    I'm looking forward to GTAIV on PC, i might even pre-order.

If a developer releases an even mediocre game, and a few simple mod tools for their community. SOMEONE will make something for it that will make it good, Look at Halo : CE for PC, some of the stuff on there is stunning and it's all user made content.
    Counter Strike and TF2 were great games to begin with, but because the community of players continued making new maps for em they just got better and better.

I think the problem with mainstream gaming today is that there's so community support anymore, Valve and Bungie have that one down because they're always in touch with their communities. But developers like EA and Ubisoft don't even glance at their community when developing.
    More community support = better game

4. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Sorry, this is rubbish, people still play PC games, and will continue to do so, Console ports wont revive PC gaming, original PC games will.

Games like Spore, Crysis, The Witcher, STALKER, WAR all have done well and STEAM is a great platform. As long as us PC gamers still exist, we will still be buying great pc games, chucking us console leftovers is not the way to generate sales.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Console games are cheaper and easier?

-Playstation: £300 every time a new one comes out
    -HDTV: £300+++
    -PS Games: £40

-Gaming PC: £400 every 3 years
    -Monitor: £150
    -Games: From free to £30

Yes, the subtantial savings are really leapong out at me.... And as for easier, consoles stop being the easy option as soon as you want to do anything other than use it exactly how the maker intended.

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

HEy blib
    What are you doing you compare the most expensive parts of console gaming and do the opposite thing to pc
    This is unfair
    Normaly you could buy X360 for 200 and buy SDTV

For Pc there is infinty of choices If you buy gaming rig It costs more than 1000(include high end gpu-quad core cpu-power supply-cooler-...)
    You can also (as in console gaming) buy HDTV

And this is (in average ) every 2 years.

SOOOOO BE FAIR JUDJE.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

That's a good point actually, I didn't think of it like that. There are some people who conside themselves computer gamers who have a 6 or 7 year old PC and rarely or never buy games, so PC gaming can get cheaper. This doesn't really appeal to me though.

My comments came from the fact that until 18 months ago I did all my gaming on a PS2. I then switched to gaming on PC. I have barely used the PS2 since. As far as I can tell, I spent more in the first 18 months of PS2 ownership than I did in the 18 months from when I began turning my PC into a gaming rig to now. I'm having more fun now.

8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I agree that article is shite. PC gaming might not be at its peak but GTA IV has no bearing whatsoever on its success. I don't expect it will even sell that well because everyone who really wanted it has it for PS3 or 360, the few who waited it out will of course buy or pirate it.

"Games for Windows" really doesn't mean much to PC gaming as far as I'm concerned. PC gamers just care about getting those must have titles with some decent support...they don't care if it has that moniker attached.

9. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

Pc Games are cheaper than console games; at least here in london. typically games sell for 29-39.99 at launch for the consoles; whereas on the pc games launch at 19-29.99 at most respectable retailers.

However not everyone would like to upgrade their rig enough to be able to have hassle free gaming (and most console games are hassle/problem free).

Pc games AA/AF/Image Quality is far superior and some games are by far easier and more enjoyable with a keyboard and mouse. The custimization for appearance and performance is also welcomed.

However in response to the comment on console games being more jagged. I disagree, this is hugely down to the developer being lazy and sloppy, "The easy way" to compensate quality to meet performance benchmarks for the game to be hurried to be released imo.

Pc games are far from being on a low. GTA4 on pc wont make much of a difference. The game came out far too long ago on the consoles and i figure the vast majority of people that have played it already wouldnt care to have it on the pc as well; despite gta4 being the worst hit game on consoles in need of aa/af and absolutely $^"&"&"$ shadows.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The only thing that might kill pc gaming is DRM forcing more people to consoles or warez gaming.
    Other than that, PC gaming is fine.

11. Iria

Iria New Member

Spore, anyone? ;)

12. Mousey

lol i heard somewhere it's the second most pirated game atm after Crysis :D

13. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

For my two cents, PC gaming is probably stronger now than ever before. The MMO has given it a shot in the arm and it's becoming slowly more affordable to have a gaming PC.

The industry is behind the times, business model-wise which leads to invasive DRM, but things are coming around. Devs and publishers are giving people more incentive not to steal their games, and not just pewter knick-knacks and two-weeks of beta access. Look at companies like Valve and how their model works. Sure you need to have Steam, but it works great and there are all sorts of free downloads and bonus content. If "games for windows" can offer a similar experience, it'll be good for everyone, especially considering we all use windows.

14. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

A side effect of DRM, even possibly legitimate users are downloading it so they dont have to deal with it.

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Despite the slightly buggy software, Steam is a brilliant success story for Valve. Notice that non Valve games are avaiable too. If all major releases were on steam, I'd probably never visit gamestation ever again.

16. Mousey

Very true Z, a friend of mine actually bought the game and found the secuROM software so invasive he uninstalled it and battled with secuROM to remove it, then took the game back and got a refund.
    Then pirated it :rofl:

17. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

If he had such bad experience with it, then why bother playing it?