optimal settings for live VSTi ?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Toadly_Ossum, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Toadly_Ossum

Toadly_Ossum New Member

Hello All KX Driver Users,

Great drivers and great forum too! Im yet another newbie to KX and I have a Live 5.1, running Win XP on a PIII 1gig with 512MB. Im mainly using VStack to run VSTi synths like NI B4, The Grand and Lounge Lizard in real-time via ASIO set to 5.33 ms though i want to get it down to 2.66 ms. I am not planning on doing any recording yet so I would like tips on setting up the driver and pc for optimal live performing. I understand that simplifying the DSP connecttions affect the latency and i dont use the reverb or chorus effects. I also want to be sure im using the best output (front / rear). Any general KX/DSP/ASIO/Win XP tips would be OSSUM!

Thanks in Advance,
    Toadly Ossum

2. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

>that simplifying the DSP connecttions affect the latency
    - no, dsp connections (as well as any other stuff in kx dsp) do not affect latency in any way...

3. dungle

dungle New Member

max is right. If you're new to the live! you may not appreciate that the effects hosted by the soundcard (kX DSP page) are implemented on the card's own processor, the emu10kx.
    This DSP processes audio sample by sample not in blocks so there is no latency to speak of. This is really important for live musicianship.
    Also as you play sampled organ and piano there are many excellent soundfonts for these instruments that IMHO challenge the VSTi's you mention. Again the 10k soundfont engine features near zero latency and CPU occupancy. You can always render the parts with VSTi later in your productions (once theyre recorded).