Origin - EA expiring older games from client?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Tipstaff, May 18, 2016.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Hey, here's one for you guys.

I booted up Origin today as they are giving away one of the BF4 expansions for free, and I noticed a something odd in my game library. The Dark Spores Limited Edition was greyed out with a timer/clock in the top right corner. Normally this is reserved for time limited games/demos, but this game doesn't fall under this category. It was added back in October 2011 using the original CD key (which is sitting on my shelf to my right as I type this).

All I can think of is that EA is "expiring" older game titles in order to clear them out of Origin, or their server, because there is no reason for them to, essentially, remove a legit game from my library.

Have any of you guys noticed something similar? Old games that suddenly disappeared, or are now showing up as "expired"?

2. Tipstaff

Well, well, well.. there's an old article I just found that says that Darkspore was removed from both Steam and Origin as the game requires a server to play. In other words, it needs an always on connection. That server is no longer on, so EA removed the game.. back in March. Thing is it's only now showing up as expired.. right after Origin updated, btw.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have posted about Mafia 2 being removed from Steam account and found that it's due to music licenses that were up for renewal...and, apparently, there's no interest in renewing those licenses. What happened to me was, it started Updating and then, upon reaching 99% it stopped and now it's unplayable. There could be a lot of other older games that used licensed sound tracks that are now being made obsolete due to the same licensing requirements.

4. Tipstaff

GTA: San Andreas was another perfect example. The music licenses were up on some, or were denied renewal (can't remember which), so Rockstar updated the Steam version to remove those songs. Thankfully I have the physical discs for the game, so I still get to hear the old songs.

Same for Darkspore. I have the physical game, which installs outside of Origin (thankfully), but how the hell do I get it working now as it still requires that old server? Something I'm going to have to look into.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Can't say I am surprised at all.
    Just wait a couple more years. It's going to get far worse.
    Not that I have ever mentioned it before, but I am doing my best to buy download games without any DRM (GOG DotEmu etc), or of course retail versions when available.
    Everything else can be taken away from you without notice.