OS X Leopard PowerPC porting project

Discussion in 'MAC OS X Driver' started by ITzTravelInTime, Mar 12, 2021.

1. ITzTravelInTime

ITzTravelInTime New Member

I started working on a fork of the mac driver aimed at trying to get it working on PPC macs running leopard, the fork's code is available on this github page: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/kx-audio-driver/tree/PPC_Experimental

For now this fork of the kx audio driver (compared to my latest intel fork) adds:
    -Implementation for I/O ports on PPC hardware (this might also possibly work on apple silicon macs once we get them with PCIE)
    -Removed the Audio Blitter Lib (and replaced with a more simple sample conversion system) to allow to compile the driver more painlessly (this has some caveats, but getting a first build to work is already challenging enough) + new target added to the project just for this purpose
    -Added a PPC.h header
    -Fixed some compiling issues
    -Kept intel support so the PPC target can still be used as an universal target for both platforms.
    -Added a secondary i/o memory management system (using IOMallocContiguous and IOFreeContiguous, those functions are deprecated and have several drawbacks but i have added them back because i could allow a future kext build to run on older OS X version than leopard, but this new system is kept disabled).
    -Corrected the endianess of some buffer values.

As now the driver can be successfully compiled for PowerPC using the ggc 3.3 compiler and it will actusally produce a kext file that loads and has some features working, however the playback still doesn't work, i am slowely figuring stuff out and it's most likely a problem with the endianess of some buffer contents that are read by the sound card.

Also for now the project is focused on consumer level cards, but professional cards (like the ones from E-MU) could be supported in the future, once we get the consumer cards working.

I hope we will figure this out and get Sound Blaster cards to work on our PowerMacs running OS X Leopard.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Tipstaff likes this.
  2. ITzTravelInTime

Didn't post this here but i managed to make the first driver build that actually loads and has some features working (like volume chaning, sample rates switching and more) unfortunately playback still isn't working, this is likely caused by the endianess of some dma buffer values to be wrong.

Here is also a screenshot of that. image0.jpg

3. ITzTravelInTime

IvanV likes this.