Out Of Touch

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Transk53, May 7, 2012.

1. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Hi all AMD Rig owners. In the next few months, I should be able to build a new Rig. At the moment though, what are the best Overclockers? Not convinced about the FX series, but what about the Athlon II or Phenoms? Anybody taken a punt on a Athlon II and overclocked to the nuts.

Calliers likes this.
  2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Since I value quietness highly I haven't gone nuts with my Athlon 2 X4 640, but its ability to go from 3.0 GHz to 3.5GHz without raising the voltage shows some promise. Unfortunately it's hard to find anything else than the FX series today, except for the A-series Llano CPU's that perform fairly well but seem to not overclock well at all. The best AMD CPU to get, if you can find one today, is generally the Phenom 2 X6 models. Sandy Bridge i5's are otherwise where the most overclocking fun is today.

That said, the FX-8000 series does seem to be quite overclockable, but their power consumption when overclocked much is not to be trifled with. It's the reason why I'm sticking with my Athlon 2 X4.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Phenom II overclocks nicely...

4. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Thanks peeps :)

5. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

As I've understood the latest Phenom II X6's are great overclockers, much better than the previous X4's.

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

What's your budget, and what are you going to use it for?

Also, I hate to be the party pooper, but it is worth looking at some comparisons:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=551
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=363

Those comparisons are between the fastest Phenom X6 on sale, and firstly the new Intel 3770K (cheaper variants which match the performance in most places where it matters will be along shortly) and secondly with the i5 2400 (there should be some bargains available on this mid-range last-gen CPU). Overclocking the Phenom might net you 20-25% more performance than the 1100T in those comparisons. Intel "K" series CPUs will overclock further, regular i5s less so (though you can increase the max turbo bin).

It's also worth noting imo that older CPUs like the i7-920 and Q9550 provide comparable performance to the Phenom X6s, being roughly equivalent at stock and overtaking it when both the Phenom and the older Intel CPUs are overlcocked - the i7-920 and the Q9550 both are regularly seen with OCs approaching (or even exceeding) 50%. Both of those CPUs are sometimes available used very cheaply, and don't have significantly different power consumption to the Phenoms despite their age.

One last point - if all you're interested in is gaming, imo you shouldn't be looking further than non-HT quad-cores and HT-enabled dual-cores.

At the end of the day, if you're not interested in the latest and greatest, it's likely to come down to what you can get cheaply.

7. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Well Blibbax, it goes something likethis. I am old school when it comes to Overclocking, I still run aSocket 939 Rig, and I find it very difficulty to validate Intel’s answer to Overclocking. A slider in BIOS, that is not Overclocking and frankly, and irrespective of the Tech achievement, I find that approach quite pathetic. Your knowledge is precise and very knowledgeable :) , but no, I simply cannot abide the idea of an Intel Rig, I'm AMD, whatever the cost in IPC

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

You do get a more traditional overclocking approach with the LGA1366 and LGA775 options I mentioned, and most AMD chips you'd consider would be "Black Edition", and thus little different to the Intel K-series to overclock, but I understand if you'd rather stick to AMD.

9. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Actually may have been a little strong with words there. Intels phlosophy with Overclocking peeves me off a little. A Black Edition maybe not. It would depend on what else is not far behind on stock. I do prefer AMD and do count myself as a Fanboy, but I am not an Intel basher as it were. Have bulit a few systems running Intel Hardware, but yeah, just fell into the other camp. Not convinced about the FX series so will be a Phenom defo.

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Fair enough. Look for bargains - the Phenom IIs are out of production now, but you might be able to find them on stock clearance in places. Certainly don't pay more than the price of a new FX-8120.

11. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Well not supprised by that, but maybe being hopeful. Been checking a few UK sites and found that most bundles are based on Intel. No supprise really, as they are bloody good CPU's all said and told. It would be nice if some sites could maybe give an AMD picker option with a discount, to keep in line with mobo bundles. That also means that I will have to budget for an FX too, as it will pretty much an auction on what previous gen stock is around.

12. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Anybody which of these models maybe rebranded 270's? Anybody have this model number/code ADX250OCK23GM

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  13. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Going to plump for an A Series on FM1. Can't afford a dedicated card that I would desire, so gonna have to stick to the IGPU. Hopefully will be able to budget an SSD, but the SATAII Seagate drive is going to have be used from my bits and pieces. Would be nice if the 939 Toledo X2 3800 could make some dosh on ebay, but not being of Barton quality, I doubt it. DRAM I fancy some Mushkin, but will probably go for Corsair or Kingston. That along G.SKILL and Geil, they are on the compatibility list. Not that I will take that as gospel though :D

Going for this and going to marry it to a Gigabyte GA-A75-UD2H. Don't watch Blu Ray, so an old Optical Drive will suffice. Flash Drive accounted for as is the humble A: Drive.

Cabling will be custom made, or predicted bespoke, from here. The cooling not sure at the moment. Could recycle the gear that I have. It could do one loop that would obviously be right, but the pump did put in the hours. I'll visit Chillblast for that and as such, I have decided to place the cooling as a seperate budget. Looking at one or two air coolers, but probably stick to AC if on air.

A nice organic build within a central structure, is really the best feeling in the world. In light of the skillset ofc. One factor though, and the most important factor, is ofc the juice delivery. I am not sure about the PSU. I am given to understand that the term "True Power" has been superseeded??. The Case, it will be modded. Fancy a second hand Server case.

Please spec me an engine. Budget what the ####ever, if it is stable overall, has superb +12 volt rails and is efficient, please let me know. Thanks

14. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

This is the Case.