Outrage Continues Over Vista Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, May 10, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: Yahoo! News
    ______
    Julie Marto of Medfield, Massachusetts, purchased a Dell Inspiron notebook running Windows XP last October. Through a program called Express Upgrade, she was promised a free copy of Windows Vista when the operating system became commercially available. It's been five months since Vista went on sale January 30. Marto is still waiting and steaming mad.

"I've done everything I can to get my Vista upgrade including e-mailing a request to Michael Dell himself," Marto says. She says she never received a reply from Michael Dell.

2. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

3. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

they always tell you what you want to hear when you buy it...... but when it comes down to it! BAM! lights are off.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Being a system builder, i was told this by my supplier as well, however i've yet to receive the upgrade disk and my supplier is fighting to get them as well.

5. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

MODUSLINK really dropped the ball. We have had several calls on this. We have done our best to contact the company as we publish bullshit things like this in our publication. We state how they act and if we get it solved. They have truely been jackasses. They are having COA numbers getting screwed up in the system, and people aren't getting discs. These vendors really sucked lol.

6. Zeph

Zeph New Member

MODUSLINK actually went through with my upgrade without me sending in my proof of purchase. I was freaking out after a random place took money out of my bank account and a few days later I got the upgrade.

7. GutterPunk

The more I think about it... the high range of call ins/emails for our pub had been people with the free upgrade coupons...

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Out of 20 laptops I sold that were part of this upgrade program, those being from Lenovo, LG, Acer, Toshiba, and HP, only the people that bought the Acer laptops (all 10 of which were from different series of models) got their free upgrades. It could be due to the fact that we deal more directly with Acer to get their laptops than we do to get the others, so "technically" we're an authorized dealer, at least in Acers eye.

9. GutterPunk

You ever go to Acer's website? Well if you got about 3 hours of your time to get to the home page, and maybe in a few pages take a look. Their page says about everything about their support... slow or non existant.

10. Judas

Well,

I managed to grab a few liquidation ACERs, wholesale liquidation, models that were getting old, but one of which was "saposed" to qualify for the upgrade, however calling in and trying to get it resulted in "sorry, the upgrade has expired" kind of deal. Apparently since it was an older model, shortly after vista launched, apparently there was a only specific amount of time to get the upgrade. ?

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  11. GutterPunk

From what I know... no. I haven't seen any expiration date on them.

12. Judas

lol i just noticed a fairly bad spelling mistake on my part... "crap" instead of "grab"...

well that's what i thought... either way, the acer model i've got doesn't appear to be getting windows vista anytime soon..

i never physically got a coupon... i was just told that i should be able to obtain the vista software upgrade for it over the phone.